J 739 Hudson Banjo steering wheel puller

37 CTS
37 CTS Senior Contributor
edited February 2014 in HUDSON
Hello
Am in the process of removing the 1937 Hudson Banjo steering wheel. The manual says to use puller J 739 and I do not know what that looks like or what to use instead. There is nothing in the steering wheel hub for a modern hub puller to screw the bolts into. Please advise, Thanks.

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited January 2014
    I made this lash-up. A little crude, but it works and it was cheap.
    The aluminum split ring major OD is 3 in x 1/4
    The bottom OD is 2 1/2 x 3/8
    The top OD is 2 3/32 x 3/8 which will fit up inside your wheel
    The ID is slightly over 1 3/4 which should fit over your column.

The puller is obviously a couple of C-clamps bolted together 2 1/2 apart to straddle the bottom OD and pull on the middle.
    The top spreader and bolt I had laying around, but it's easy enough to make.
    This one has a slot both sides which just fits the clamp balls after the swivel feet are removed.

Loosen the steering wheel nut but leave it on a few threads. If you don't, some of these are really tight and when they let go they'll be in the back seat...and maybe you with it!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Have you attempted to remove the wheel by hand? My '37 wheel comes right off with just a little thumpin' from the underside, with my fists. You could spray some penetrating oil down between the wheel hub and the shaft, first. Possibly some light tapping on the end of the shaft with a hammer -- merely to set up a vibration and let the oil work its way in -- would help.

Quite possibly you may need a puller, but it couldn't hurt to try the hand method first!
  • 37 CTS
    37 CTS Senior Contributor
    HOORAY the steering wheel has left the building!
    'PAUL - LARGE TYPE' suggested some light taps with a rubber mallet on the hub and the wheel came right off. Thank you to all who responded.

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I CALLED SHELDON AND TOLD HIM ABOUT WHAT I MADE UP TO PULL OFF MY BANJO WHEEL IT WAS ALOT LIKE U J'S BUT I ALSO TOLD HIM TO TRY AND BUMP IT OFF WITH RUBBER HAMMER <<<<< IT WORKED>>>>>> :-)
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    That's clever, Uncle Josh. I love homemade tools.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Not sure if this would work. A tool for auto trans , accumulator tool on gm.
    It's on ebay for $38
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I needed to remove a 34 steering wheel recently, I knew it was going to be tight because it has spent a fair bit of time out in the weather. Also its a good steering wheel that I did not want to damage in any way, so I made up a puller out of plate steel and threaded rod for the job.

Basically it was a 2 piece plate clamped around behind the steering wheel which was then bolted to a conventional top puller plate. The steering wheel was very tight but the puller worked a treat, with no damage to anything.

This discussion has been closed.