212 splasher water distribution plate

terraplane8
terraplane8 Senior Contributor
Is there any recommended modification to this similar to the one for the Eight to ensure that coolant gets up around the valve seats? I can't seem to locate anything. Even being able to source the dimensions and spacing for the standard baffle plate holes would be great.

Comments

• I don't know of any mods but I'm not exactly an old-timer. If the attached image is readable it has the location and size dimensions of the holes. It is the plate only and not the entire cover. I'll redraw it if it's not clear enough 'cause it's on yellow, lined paper.

F

• terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Thanks Frank, it is clear and I've printed off a good copy. The modification was one first done by Ray Pank I think, allowing water to be directed to the underside of the valve seats by tubes.
  • T-8,

Since the cylinders  are ganged in two groups of three, the only passageway from the passenger's side to the driver's side (assuming RHD) is either around the ends or between 3 & 4 at the center. Almost nothing is impossible but it seems like getting tubes through to the other side might be on that list for this engine....if I'm picturing this correctly.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The tubes would have to be attached to the inner baffle plate, and routed into the water jacket, so that most water went to the rear, a small amount to the middle, and a moderate amount to the front.  I don;t see any advantage for such tubes personally  unless you were contemplating high speed motoring under extreme conditions.   The Essex Four cylinder motor had similar  inner pipe to direct the water to the valve area.  
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Its simple hydraulics.  The water is coming in the distribution manifold side of the motor and has to flow through to the opposite side by pressure.  No tubes required.   Drives me crazy when backyard engineers think they ca outwit a staff of professionally trained well paid factory engineers.   The only times an improvement can be made is when a trained engineer (like a Clive Gibson) creates a fix that the production company was not willing or able to spend the investment and part cost to do.
This discussion has been closed.