Overheating problem- Update-

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Well, I am sure that everyone is still wondering whether I made progress or not....

Here's what I found....

I pulled the radiator, the water pump and the water jacket out (not to mention the grille....) and the engine drained good coolant (meaning it was not rusty looking, looked good and green) the water jacket just got wiped down, and went back in, looked good. The water pump was real tight and the lower rectangular passage (not the water jacket passage) was pretty much almost entirely blocked. The radiator was reverser flushed, it ran clear, and all looked good. I replaced the thermostat (or I am putting the 155 back in), but I did not close the bypass, like was recommended as of yet, If I find additional problems after I fixed everything else I found, I'll probably explore that option as well. So, I am in the process of putting it all back together. The radiator is partially in, I ran into a rubber cushion/bushing problem so I need to make something work. I am almost there, and hopefully with some quality time, will be able to get it running today. I still want to double check the timing, and just see where it is at.

I'll keep you all posted....

BTW my dad finally got the rear axle nuts loose on his 52 wasp, now the drums are stuck... he had a long day yesterday, and figured he would give it another shot today, He's getting close.... It would be noce to cruise two hudsons today.... I'll keep you all posted on this as well....

Best!

Rick

Comments

• Thanks for the update Rick ... being a Hudson Mechanic is a fun activity. Keep plugging and your Hudson maintenance will be done so you can cruise without concern. Have Dad use the three legged stool type puller ... perseverance and sweat will get those drums off.

:) Happy Labor Day :)
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Amen on the 3-legged puller. If the shoes are stuck/rusted fast, like all those up North here, make it easy on yourself and remove the large nut and square washer, on the top rear of the backing plate. That releases the anchor pin that's holding the shoes on. The two little 1/8 pins will break, leaving drum and shoes on the ground where you can get a vise grip on the adjuster, loosen it and pry the shoes out.

This also works for the front wheels.

DO NOT bang on the end of the rear axle!

Leave the axle nut on, but back it off 1/4 inch or so, so when the taper breaks loose the drum, and puller won't go flyin across the garage, into your gut or worse.

When it breaks loose, you'll know it, as it will scare the b'jeebers out of you.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Rick, we're getting fairly far off-topic with the wheel pulling, but here are a series of 'how-to' photos, if you're not aquainted with how to use a 3-legged drum puller. Paul Schuster published these helpful photos on our Hudson photo site, two or three years ago. http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/rearwheelpuller.msnw

Just make sure the brakes are released and the drum turns freely, before attempting to remove it.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The photos are helpful, but if you're dealing with a Spicer axle, you can ignore the advice about not hitting the end of the puller shaft. The Spicers don't have the thrust buttons in the end (and frankly, this problem is greatly overblown on the Hudson axles ... not that it hasn't happened, but you'd really have to whack it to break that thrust button)
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    Well It's So Nice To See Some One Using The Photo's I Took On How To Use A Wheel Puller And Yes Park It Is Over Blown 'but' I Don't Know Who's Reading And Looking And If I Don't Say 'don't Hit' And They Do And Some Thing Really Bad Happens I Hope You Underst And Have A Good Day

Hudsonly

Plaulargetype
  • Okay, how about some updates?????

I got the Hudson put back together, and as of Sunday, got the timing set. It seems to run right around 3/4, and seems happy. It also seems smoother, and all in all, runs pretty good. I think I need to pull the valve covers and spend some quality time with those tappets one more time....

As far as the drums.... My Dad got them off, with some difficulty, I can't remember if he actually used heat or not, but I know he did have to get the pro style wheel puller out (usually we use a homemade rig, that works real well) He had one real bad grooved drum, and the outer sheetmetal shell was rusted thru, but he had a replacement available. Looks like he is down to a few lines to remake, and the master cylinder, and he should very well have his hudson back on the road as well.

As far as mine is concerned, I think I am going to do one or two more things before I call it quits for the year, and I am already in the process of planning for next year, looks like I might very well do the entire front end, rebuild it all..... and motor mounts!

It just seems to be one of those projects that is never done, and continually evolves....

Best!

Rick
This discussion has been closed.