Fog light switch

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Where was the Fog Light switch located when the Hudson dealer installed them on a 54 step down? I have the instructions for up to 53. Also does anyone have an original switch for the 54/ I see lots of under dash aftermarket ones on Ebay. Would like to have the original type if possible.

Thanks, Dave w

Comments

• Could you tell me where the fog light switch was located on a 53?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Well I tried to scan the sheet, but it is not going to work. It was printed on a cheap newsprint quality paper. Fadded, yellowed and just plain illegible. I can barely read it myself and then there are some portions I have to guess at. I can tell you that this sheet came with a 1951 fog light set, because it references 7A series. it is most likely the same for 52-53. The switch is mounted on the right hand dash extension. Betweeen the ignition switch and the cigar lighter. (2 1/2 inchches from the centerline of the ignition switch hole.) The wire from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch is removed from the headlight switch (yellow wire). It is then plugged into the fog lamp switch "H" position. A jumper from the fog lamp switch "S" is then plugged into the headlight switch. The new wire supplied with the fog lamps is plugged into the "F" position. In other words, the fog lamp switch is used to select either Fog or Headlights. You can't use both at the same time and the headlight switch must be on for the fog lamps to work. I am sure that was done to make sure your tail lights and instrument lights are on. There is a dash extensasion with a switch on ebay at this moment, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hudson-Part-of-Dash-NR- I hope the link works. I am going to use a dimmer switch mounted on the floor that I can reach with my left heal. That way I can switch back and forth from headlights to fog lights without having to search for the switch. The dimmer switch works exactly like the dash mounted switch. No off position, just a choice of two positions. There were no instructions as to where on the bumper the holes should be drilled for the lights except to use the mount sadles that are provided. i guess it was up to the installer to put them where they looked good. On earlier stepdowns, the switch was placed on the chrome piece on the lower portion of the right hand dashboard. There are a couple holes pre drilled in the dash behind that piece. Just drill out the chrome casting at the position you choose. The switch was the same as the 51 and later. The lights bolted through the fenders below the headlights.

Aftermarket fog light switches are readily available on ebay most of the time. They have a bulkb inside and have the letters FOG on the knob that lights up when the fog lamps are on. I suspect that would be more appropriate for the pre stepdowns. The 12 volt amber bulbs are numberGE 4415A available from topbulb.com

Hope this helps..

Dave W.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Hmmm, sounds like several of you are in the FOG.
This discussion has been closed.