Single lever stick adjustment.

bobbydamit
bobbydamit Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a single lever shifter and the cable does not travel much. Is there adjustment other than the "L" bracket on the lower column under the hood, and the cable attachment to the lever. When I pull the shifter back for first and reverse, it has little movement of the cable. Maybe I have an aftermarket cable that is not correct. Where can I get a new cable? Plus the bracket that the "L" bracket is bolted to is stripped and the "L" bracket is just wired in postion. I need the bracket or I suppose I can helicoil it bakc to usable condition. Any suggestions, parts or adjustment experts out there? call or "E" mail a phone number back. Bob 952-887-2514 days. 8-5.central time. Thanks, Frustrated Bobby the "Wish I Didn't have a Cable, :mad: Guy"

Comments

• did you dop the ajustment on the steering column inside the engine compartment about 6 inches from firewall
  • Hi Bob ,my Name Is Hudson Dave . I Have A Bracket If You Don,t Find One.sum Time You Have To Adj The Top Of The Shifter Inside The Car There Is A Hole In The Top Of The Column And The Set Screw Must Go In That Hole Then Pull The Bottem As Far As It Will Go Then Adj The Cable That Might Work .

Hudson Dave 352-795-9933
  • Bobby, That L bracket that you refer to is not threaded, but the part that it bolts on to is. The one on my 41 was stripped & I had to take it apart & rethread it for a larger bolt. This adjustment is extremely sensitive & I feel sure that that is your problem. Cliff Minard.
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    I did not know there is an adjustment on the shifter, and I did see the screw when I had the very top [closest tot he stering wheel] bracket off the shift rod, but I will do this first, then tap lock the stripped threads in the bracket that holds the "L" bracket for the cable. I guess it is just a matter of experiment to find the exact adjustment position as it works fine on many of my friends cars. I have the 51 Motor Mate book and wil follow their instructions. Thanks for the responses. Hudson Dave, I will "E" mail you if I can't helicoil mine or tap lock it right where it is in the car. Thanks to all.
This discussion has been closed.