Hold on to your check book!

Jay_G
Jay_G Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just got a letter from a friend of mine who went to the 2005 Monterey Sports Car Auction where they had a 1951 Hudson Hornet convertable for sale. Any one care to guess at a price? ......... Well, you are wrong, it went for $100,000. I would like to see it just so I could say I saw a $100,000 dollar Hornet. There are a lot of things I could say but I am speechless...

Jay

Comments

• something about "a fool and his money . . . . . "
  • davidh wrote:
    something about "a fool and his money . . . . . "

Personally, I'm happy to see the prices of all Hudsons going up... Niels
  • Well here it is

first a picture from the results

RM hudson results

Lots of more pictures.

And now the text

"180hp 308 cu. in. L-head inline six-cylinder engine with Twin H Power dual carburetors and dual manifold induction system, dual Range Hydramatic automatic transmission, independent front suspension with rear leaf springs and four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 124"

Hudsons have been credited with being among the first to introduce a great many important advances in automotive design, one of the most important of which was the "step down" body style, first appearing in 1948, a concept that in modified form is incorporated in

virtually all modern automobiles. Outstanding mechanical engineering played a large part in their commercial success, spearheaded by publicity associated with the complete domination of stock car racing by Hudson racecars in the early 1950s, driven by drivers

such as the great Marshall Teague. These men and their cars easily outclassed the competition proffered by best that GM, Ford and Chrysler could muster at the time.

In its day, the Hornet was literally The Mouse that Roared, for "The Fabulous Hudson Hornets" (as they were so dramatically painted.) Their drivers maintained a firm stranglehold on American stock car racing through the mid 1950s, claiming 10 out of 11 stock car

Grand Nationals in 1952 alone, and moving on even more dramatically to even greater racing glory in subsequent years.

The lovely example offered here is a stunning car with its black convertible top over elegant burgundy paintwork, dark red leather interior and acres of bright chromework, augmented by a gorgeous set of dual spotlights, power windows and power top. At the time of this writing, 61,236 miles are recorded on the odometer that is felt to be the original mileage.

The vehicle has been the subject of a complete body-off restoration of the highest quality, which of course included all mechanical components. When acquired from Oregon 15 years ago by the current owner, an Eastern collector, the car was a rust free, straight

vehicle in good running condition. Restoration had been started, but was incomplete. Subsequently, the car was subjected to a complete, body-off restoration that was completed approximately 10 years ago, during which the entire drive train, chassis, braking

system, top mechanism and every other conceivable mechanical component were refinished, remanufactured or replaced to new or better condition. Of course, the interior and top were redone in the finest of materials by skilled craftsmen at that time as well.

Since the completion of the restoration the vehicle has been housed, serviced and maintained in a climate-controlled showroom, seeing only token road use on a planned schedule so as to properly preserve and maintain in good order all seals and other drive train and chassis elements that may suffer from nonuse when a car is stored in a collection without periodic "exercise." Consequently, the car has accumulated approximately 1,500 miles since restoration was completed, and this only in absolutely dry, perfect weather, 450 miles from the nearest salt water source.

This car is somewhat unique in that in addition to the performance enhancement afforded by the Twin H Power option (160hp compared with 145hp for single carburetor versions) it is also equipped with a high compression "262" cylinder head, larger than stock stainless steel valves and a mild competition camshaft, modifications which further elevate the power output of this brute of a six-cylinder engine to 180hp. This is quite the equivalent of

the Hemi V8 used in the Chrysler New Yorker and Imperial, 20hp more than the 1951 Cadillac OHV V8 and at least 40hp more than the Olds 88 of the same year!

This vehicle is one of only 500 Hornet Convertibles produced in the 1951 model year. Hornet convertibles represented the top of their mode line and were equipped with full leather interiors and trim, quality carpeting, hydraulically actuated power windows and power

top and Dual Range Hydramatic transmissions purchased directly from GM.

The Hudson offered here is a fine runner currently in license in its home state and ready for the road. We understand that the Hudson is in excellent operating condition, having just undergone a thorough mechanical review and major service, with all systems performing as expected. The paintwork, brightwork, engine and engine bay are all in show condition while the interior shows little to no wear. All tools, spare wheel and tire, and manuals are

present. This classic Twin H Power convertible is one of the most desirable cars of the period and is worthy of close inspection as the cost of duplicating such a comprehensive restoration far exceeds the auction estimate."
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    pic.php?u=21959xUBm8&i=140912 YIKES!!!!!!!

A bit Spendy I would say......At least he coulda put a set of WIDE WHITE WALLS on it for that price....

I'm putting My car up for Auction right now...Starting Bid is $50,000
  • first you need to hire the publicity writer from above list . . .
  • 'tis a beautiful car.
  • Why not! My '37 Terraplane Brougham model 71 for sale - $35,000.
  • Why not! My '37 Terraplane Brougham model 71 for sale - $35,000.

At that bargain price, it must have a full tank of gas! Niels
  • I hate to admit it, but I was there when they first started these collector/antique car auctions. Most of these big dollar auctions are bull. These same people are at all the auctions and these cars pass around from one person to another with no money passing hands. Some don't even take possesion of the cars.
  • As I said in a previous post, this was the Monterey auction that took place Peeble Beach weekend. There is more money there that weekend than one can imagine, and cars selling for millions and millions is now commonplace. A guy spending $110K there is an average guy going and buying a Honda. It aint no big deal. That being said, it is all about timing. That auction is sports car driven, with Ferrari's, classic race cars and now muscle selling big. The Nascar history has the muscle guys biting on the stepdowns which is why you are seeing the $75, $80 and now $110K prices for these cars. I think this is going to become the norm and come the next Barrett Jackson, you will see more of the same. I go to a lot of the RM auctions and must say I enjoy myself. Have never bought a car, but it is fun to look them over the day before and see what they end up selling for. You get to see some really great cars and there is always car stuff to do outside the auction. I dont think they are bull at all, but I have seen the same car sell at more than one auction. But so what? How many times have you seen the same car pass from one owner to another via shows, club members or what not. Just he nature of the beast....people sell them. If anything the auctions give you a published number for a what a car sold for, thus a benchmark to use when selling your car. If you read the fine print of any car value guide, you will see they use auction prices to come up with their numbers as well.
  • What ever trips your trigger, Like I said and what you repeated is that they go from one auction to another. You cannot base what any car is worth by what someone is willing to pay at an auction. Several years ago a 33 T8 conv. was bid up to $68.000.00 and not sold. My 33 T8 coupe is much rarer and probably as nice. Is it worth more, Definitly not, I personally think anyone who believes auction prices are correct is nuts.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Actually, according to the RMAuction web site the car sold for $110,000. Darn, I missed it by only $109,975!!!!!

Hudsonly

Alex B
  • Alex. You have been A HET member for many years like myself, Remember when you could get a mint stepdown for almost nothing, In fact I had several given me. I remember selling a mint 51 super six at Carlisle in 1968 for $500.00. It had never set outside overnight.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    In addition to hiring that copy writer, I want to talk to the restorer about how you do a "body off" restoration on a stepdown!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Park W wrote:
    In addition to hiring that copy writer, I want to talk to the restorer about how you do a "body off" restoration on a stepdown!

Good One!

Maybe he meant "body off sub-frame" :)
This discussion has been closed.