difference in basic body/mechanics

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
i have a golden oppertunity to buy a 48 commadore 6 and a 52 hornet. both are 4 doors, both are quite complete although needing total restoration. are these body's and major mechanics interchangable or ? ? ? thanks in advance, davidh birchindustrial.com (battery cables are us)

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Someone will answer your body question (yeah, they are basically the same body but with some variations over a 4-year period). But one warning: do check out the rear frame rails, from the rear wheel wells around to the back. If you end up with a Hudson that has bad frame rot in this area, you won't think your opportunity was so 'golden'!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Jon B wrote:
    Someone will answer your body question (yeah, they are basically the same body but with some variations over a 4-year period). But one warning: do check out the rear frame rails, from the rear wheel wells around to the back. If you end up with a Hudson that has bad frame rot in this area, you won't think your opportunity was so 'golden'!

I second Jon B's comments!

I think the Hornets are shorter in the front or was that just the 54?
  • Hudson's should all be basically the same from 48-53 (and some exceptions... 54's) The sheetmetal on the cars should be interchangeable, for example, doors, trunklids, rear fenders, and front fenders. What would be different are hoods (which I think 48-9 are different, 50 is different, and 51-2 are similar, and 53 is different, but I think 53 is useable on a 51 or 2 as well, with some minor modifications) the fenders might need modification to work, such as taillight, turn signal cutouts, but for the most part, it will get you there. As far as mechanical, everything seems to generally be the same, but there are differences in wiring, and the likes that will make pretty much any Hudson swaps very workable, but not absolutely seamless, without some minor thought. The engines changed in 1951, the earlier series, the 262's and the 232, if you got a pacemaker from 1950, were called narrow blocks, and can cause some interchangeability problems. The block and head, are not interchangeable, but I am pretty sure most of the internals such as pistons, and perhaps cams, are (not sure about cranks) The intake and exhaust manifols should bolt up direct, and the manual transmissions should be interchangeable as well. If you got a 52 with a hydro, first off lucky you, but you would have to modify the earlier car to make it automatic, in the frame area. As far as the overall length, the 48-9 and all Hornets from 1951-1953 should be the same lenght/wheelbase. Now that someone got me thinking, i am not sure about 54, but I think it is the same. WHere you run into problems is the front clip, on the shorter wheelbase cars, such as pacemakers, wasps, and superwasps, the front frame, and front fenders were shorter, as well as some other funny modifications to make it all work.... (such as linkage)

Gosh, I hope this was helpful and not confusing...

If anything is wrong, any of you hudson guys, please correct!

Best!

Rick
  • I have a 53 Hornet hood with some cancer on it. I also have a 52 Hornet hood that has no rust at all. Will the 52 hood fit on the 53? I realize that I will have a different hood ornament, but I am more concerned about the fit.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I believe the whole front clip will fit - then you wind up with a 52½ model. One of the strangest I have seen was a 54 Hornet front clip (fenders, hood, grille) on a '53. A split windshield 54 is a strange bird to see.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
This discussion has been closed.