The underdog is about to errupt.

harry54
harry54 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
The forgotten stepchild of the collector car world is about to take off. Why is it that the beauty and value of a great work of art is not understood until many years later ? The same holds true in Automotive Art. Not since the likes of Seabuscuit has an underdog grabbed the American Spirit. The great story of hard work and perseverance and value. Hudson is finally getting the true look that it deserves . The collector car world loves the story !!!!!! America loves the UnderDog. Go Hudson...............................

Comments

• !!!!!Right on!!!! I have people that are absolutly when they find out that Hudson built a car like mine. Old guys go bananas when they talk about Hudsons. I only wish more stepdown owners would drive their cars to meets. I have had about 6 step downs and loved everyone
  • No one will take their car out unless it's to a Hudson meet. God forbid someone might actually go to a mixed-make show, or worse yet, be judged!!! (Gasp!)
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    No one will take their car out unless it's to a Hudson meet. God forbid someone might actually go to a mixed-make show, or worse yet, be judged!!! (Gasp!)

REALLY, Patrick - and just what gives you that idea??? LOL ROF LLAM

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Balderdash! I take my Hudsons to more multi-make meets than Hudson meets. Someone actually looks at your car there, and wants to talk about it. The Hudson guys have all seen it already.
  • I take my Hornet to any show going I don't give a crap what it is. Some locals are having a tuner show I will take my Hornet to that and put some magnetic neons underneath so we fit in. LOL I like the remark about most Hudsons being on the stands in garages being worked on. I think this is true. We have a meet coming up and mine is on stands in the garage LOL I am putting in new pan gaskets and the parts didn't come yet. Story of lot of us.
  • 51hornetA wrote:
    I take my Hornet to any show going I don't give a crap what it is. Some locals are having a tuner show I will take my Hornet to that and put some magnetic neons underneath so we fit in. LOL

Its been a long day - and that post brought about a much needed laugh! I wish it had been true.

I'm showing my Hudsons. Rust, crust, and dust intact. They'll change over the years from what they are now to what I want them to be, but I want folks to see them - you'd be surprized at how many folks whove seen them in their state now WANT one!

C'mon underdog!

Mark
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I kind of liked it over here in this quiet, underpopulated corner of Old Car-dom, with my Forgotten Stepchild of a car. Far from the big-buck, high-dollar, trophy-hunting, matching-number, boastful, egotistical wheeler-dealers that seem to congregate around the 'arrived' collector cars (until they sense there's a more 'in' place in which to be seen....)
  • Jon B wrote:
    I kind of liked it over here in this quiet, underpopulated corner of Old Car-dom, with my Forgotten Stepchild of a car. Far from the big-buck, high-dollar, trophy-hunting, matching-number, boastful, egotistical wheeler-dealers that seem to congregate around the 'arrived' collector cars (until they sense there's a more 'in' place in which to be seen....)

I don't diagree with you Jon, but if one gets too quiet then they shrivel up and die. No one wants that. Exposure leads to popularity and all the good things that go with it. Any negatives are far outweighed by the positive. Niels
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    No one will take their car out unless it's to a Hudson meet. God forbid someone might actually go to a mixed-make show, or worse yet, be judged!!! (Gasp!)

From the Underdog post a few days ago. I just want all to know It is kinda true since I went to the Father's Day Back to the fifties weekend at the Minnesota State Fair Grounds, this year and last. There were over 10,000 cars there last year and over 13,000 this year. Visited by over 65,000 people over three days.

I saw a handful, maybe 3-6, step-downs, Mine being one. Last year it was a 52 Wasp beater I had. This year a nicer Pacemaker, but both years I was approached by hundreds of folks that pleasantly and sometimes excitedly discussed their HUDSON STORY with me, while their hands and eyes caressed my iron horse. If you cannot touch, you miss so much. Granted this is a [Minnesota Street Rod Association, Sanctioned] MSRA event, but it had thousands of plain old, all stock, nice and not so nice cars from 1964 down to 1901. I will be there next year. Will you? ;)
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor

Patrick you have by far post the most negative comments I have seen. The post started out great then you come in with BS. If you want it to change, become a member and run for a post. If you want people to come out call them and ask them to show up to a mixed meet
  • if the 46 is running after a winters hibernation we will also be there. what a party. being its a couple hundred miles away i think we will trailer it 90% of the way. im too old for a sense of adventure like that again.

i tired to put 15" chrysler wheels on it but there was no hole for the alignment pin. suppose a guy shuold just cut off the pin ????? or what 15 inch wheels will bolt right on ? 1946 commadore
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Russ, I think Patrick was making an ironic comment on the sad propensity of Hudsonites not to get their cars out to non-Hudson affairs. And, unless we have a different Patrick here, the one who posted the message is not only an H-E-T member, but the editor of his chapter's newsletter. So he is in a pretty good position to observe what is going on out in Hudson-land!
  • bobbydamit
    bobbydamit Expert Adviser
    David, Chrysler wheels work. I think I use to just drill the guide pin hole in the wheel and make sure it was balanced after that and it was fine. Hey if you are really coming, go to the web site to find out the scoop and register before and save a few bucks. I'll try to camp out over-night right there on the grounds next year save a nice grassy area for Hudsons to congregate. We'll be in-touch. http://www.msra.com/

MORE MORE MORE!!!!

By the by Jon, you are correct, he was just commenting on the lack of show at things like the MSRA event I refer to here. Hope to see many more there next year to be ogled at.
  • How could you be from Minnesota with a name like Bobby and not Ole or Sven? When I lived in Iowa and went to car shows,guess who had the onlt HET product.Same here now in Pa. Going to a show tomorrow with maybe 200 cars. I will bet ,mine will be the only Het car there and I know of 10 HET cars within 20 miles that you never see, except at a HET meet
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    harry54 wrote:
    The forgotten stepchild of the collector car world is about to take off. Why is it that the beauty and value of a great work of art is not understood until many years later ? The same holds true in Automotive Art. Not since the likes of Seabuscuit has an underdog grabbed the American Spirit. The great story of hard work and perseverance and value. Hudson is finally getting the true look that it deserves . The collector car world loves the story !!!!!! America loves the UnderDog. Go Hudson...............................

I've often told my friends in the last year I could take the quarter panel off my 49 Commodore - frame it - light it well and stick it on a wall and call it art. And don't get me started about the rear ends of the stepdowns because that sexy curve just makes me want to spank it! :eek:

Car designers today SUCK! Just go out in a parking lot and try and find your 'new' car they all look the same!

I would much rather pay (if I could) 50k for a stepdown hudson than 50k for any new car! Of course I would never pay that kind of money for any car when I could build it for twice as much!

For the purposes of this discussion I'm only talking about stepdown models (no offense on earlier Hudsons) but OF course the rarest or the rare Hudsons are always going to fetch good prices if in #1 condition or otherwise - same goes for any Brand X model too, but I don't believe all stepdowns will become over priced for the average guy. (I wonder how many on this forum have gotten bitten by paying too much for their cars - I know I probably did based on its final condition before restoration started)

From what I can gleen from Don Butlers "The History of Hudson" between 1948-1953 there were 647,867 cars produced on the Hudson line and since, as far as I know, they were only building differing versions of stepdowns - there should be a but-load of stepdowns out there still to be discovered!

1948 117,200

1949 159,100

1950 121,408

1951 92,859

1952 79,117

1953 78,183

I don't know production numbers of the other top 10 car makers at the time - but If you took their most comparable models to the stepdown (is there really any?) would they have had the same kind of production #'s?
  • Bring on the dickheads!!!! I will continue to enjoy my car and enjoy taking their money if I ever want to sell it. You guys need to chill out. Let's worry about something important like where I can get a throw out bearing for my 49.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You can get a throwout bearing (or any part for your clutch, for that matter) from Doug Wildrick.
  • WOW so far we covered under dog, seabuscuit, , bananas, balderdash, magnetic neons, rust crust & dust, boastful, egotistical, wheeler dealers, bullshit, hibernation, car designers that suck, ole & sven , propensity, and ended up with throw out bearings WOW
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    51hornetA wrote:
    I agree with Jon, I am very happy to be here in Hudson land where most of the people I meet love Hudsons for being Hudsons not what they can make flipping them. I personally don't give a crap what my cars worth I bought it to drive it fuss over it and enjoy it. I know what they are worth when I going buying and insuring.

Now all we need are a bunch of car flipping dickheads running up the price of everything Hudson. You will see 50 cent bolts going for 50 bucks on ebay because they are from "rare" Hudsons. This I hate. I am already seeing cars that are just about held together being offered for crazy money. I am just hoping I can add the other 11 Hudsons I must have to make my collection symetrical before the dickheads buy them all up and my wife finds out what I am doing.

The flippers are here - as somebody posted - 1951 Hornet Convert went for $110,000 at an RMAuctions in CA - name slips my mind. Give me a break - and cousin TK couldn't sell a much rarer 1938 Hudson convert!!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Yep Flippers are here. Like the old saying.that goes something like "I have seen the enemy and it is us". Actually I think of flipper as a derogatory term I buy houses, fix them up, and sell them. I have been called a flipper. Not so. I am an improver. Those that just take advantage of an uptrend in prices without adding value are "flippers". That applies to cars as well as any commodity. An increase in car values hits all of us either when we want to buy it or when we buy parts or pay insurance. Only the one selling and not replacing has the advantage.

I have been driving my 49 step down to the Wednesday night cruise here in Florida for the last year or so. I never have a night that doesn't find someone very interested in the car. I was surprised at first, because the interest seems to lean towards the people in the "younger than me" catagory. Come to think of it, that includes most people! I am looking forward to the day we have two at the cruise. Mac's 54 Hollywood is well on it's way. perhaps another couple months. A nice contrast. The 49 four door and a 54 Hornet Hollywood. Kinda "brackets" the step down years.

Drive 'em.

Dave w. Fl
  • The problem (in my part of the country northeast arkansas/southeast missouri/west tennessee) there was never any strong dealerships and consequently there is very few hudsons in this part of the world. I believe the step-down hudson is the perfect hobby car, it can be an original antique/street-rod/lead-sled/or special interest vehicle,unfortunately, in my circle of car hobby friends, I am the only one that feels this way, thus I am the only hudson guy in our club.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    I read somewhere that back in the early '80's when interest rates were on the rise and the economy wasn't so hot there were a lot of speculators in Art, antiques, and classic cars that were hunting for other investments. According to that article prices in collectibles went wild and some people lost their shirts. A lot of speculators weren't "car guys" per se they were looking other investments. It's tempting for any one of us to sell when one day our old "tim lizzie" is suddenly a "collectible" or "investment". I don't think I have to tell any of you that most of us have more money into these Hudson's than we'll ever get back out of them. But that's not why we're into these cars in the first place. Few cars are ever really an investment. My own policy is never to buy a car unless you are perfectly ok getting stuck with it and unable to sell it.....because you might be. Traditionally though Hudson's haven't kept pace in prices and value with Big 3 old cars. Could the "hobby" have had its' fill of muscle cars and be looking for something different ?! I don't know.
  • I feel the need to say something negative here just to make russmass happy. If you don't like what I write, don't read it. I'm hardly the most negative, I just say what's true. Truth hurts. Thank you, Jon!

Got my '37 TP out of glass jail yesterday. The windshields were installed and the door glasses were cut, but not installed. Took them two months to get to that point, however! One thing in the shop's favor is that the work they actually did do, was done free. Saved a few dollars there! Now, to find an upholstery guy/gal that hasn't been sniffing too much of their own glue to preclude them from doing a good job on the headliner and door panels, which are the next big thing left to do!

The musclecar craze is going to see a downturn soon, similar to what happened in 1990, when the bottom dropped. How someone can justify spending $100K - $1M on a car that was built on an assembly line is just amazing! A hand-built Duesy, or a Derham-bodied Chrysler or Lincoln is one thing. But a Hemicuda or a 427 Camaro in the mid-six digits??? I think the '50s and early '60s cars have a very unique appeal and are drawing the interest at a far more intense rate than, say, 10 years ago. The guys with the big bucks are still buying the cars of their youth (muscle), but there is enough interest in the older post-war cars that will maintain the market for quite some time. Pre-war cars end up either restored or rodded, there isn't a middle ground. The post-war cars can be made to look bone-stock and have a modern drivetrain capable of 100 miles an hour or more, without the "me-too-ism" of the muscle era.

Enjoy your Hudsons. They are only going to get better as time goes along.
  • Iam helping my dad with a 56 2 door ford no post victoria. I like the hudson becase its different and it lookes like an expensive merc already low slung and low roof line. When i get my done i will drive it to local car shows and local area rocky mountain car shows to show her off iam not embaressed maybe even hit hot august nites in vegas whoes know, no trailer queen here. Cars are made to be driven. Just my opion.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    stffy64 wrote:
    Iam helping my dad with a 56 2 door ford no post victoria. I like the hudson becase its different and it lookes like an expensive merc already low slung and low roof line. When i get my done i will drive it to local car shows and local area rocky mountain car shows to show her off iam not embaressed maybe even hit hot august nites in vegas whoes know, no trailer queen here. Cars are made to be driven. Just my opion.

Some people buy Mercs and chop them to get the look Hudson's already have, plus Mercs are not uni-body. Cars are made to be driven...that's what the HET club's philosophy is supposed to be and that's why we don't have trophies are HET meets.
  • I couldn't agree more stffy64! I remember driving my 42 Form p/u to a meet in San Jose in 1980. No paint job and a cracked passenger door glass, no bed on it, floor mats for mud flaps, and I slept overnight on the front seat (not exactly comfortable for a 6'2" guy!). But I had many good comments on the vette 327 under the hood and the nice loping sound it made. I say drive them (assuming they're safe and legal) and who cares what other people think. I like hot rods and originals. My 50 Pacemaker will be hot rodded because I love the lead sleds!
  • Look out! The rust, dust, and crust contingent has erupted onto the AACA scene.

And if I can find some of those Tuner flouresent lights - I'm going to terrorize them as well. Drive 'em, enjoy 'em - life is just too short to do otherwise.

DSCF00011.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF00091.JPG

Fine day, had a blast talkin' to folks so much I didn't even get to see all the other cars there. Then, we drove them home.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.