Aluminum Radiator in a Stepdown

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I recently finished a restoration (well, they're never really finished, but it's on the road) on a '49 Super Six. I had a custom vertical flow aluminum radiator built by 'StreetrodStuff.com' per a drawing I'd sent them of my original stepdown radiator. The price they quoted me was too good to pass up. About a half a grand, including shipping. It took them a few weeks to make it, and it is an absolute work of art. Beautiful welds, perfect workmanship. But the best part is that it is absolutely COLD!!

I put 75 miles on the car last Sunday, driving at all speeds, idling for long periods of time on several occasions, and I couldn't get the temperature to go over 150 degrees! Granted, I just have a stock 262 3spd., and I don't have an air conditioner in it yet, and the air temp. was in the mid-60's around here, but this is with just a stock four-blade Hudson fan (set at 7/8" from the fins). I even have the heater by-passed at the moment, as I need to do some core repairs on that. I'm using a 7lb. pressure cap, and a 165 degree thermostat, which doesn't even open. I bought an electric pusher fan, but probably won't even install it until next year, when I hope to put an air conditioner in it. I would highly recommend this to anyone having cooling problems.

For more information on a fabulous product, talk to Dick Z. at SteetrodStuff.com

Stay cool, Doug

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/159/

Comments

• !995 and up Honda Passport V6 Radiator is nearly identical to the stock Stepdown Radiator except it has no mounting brackets. Swap your radiator brackets over to it and you have an aluminum radiator at a low cost. I did it for my 50 Commodore 8. Have only driven it in town so far.
    Works fine. The hose outlet position and size are virtually the same!!! As are the core dimensions.
    Makes for a more available service situation.
  • Do you think that Honda radiator could handle a Chevy small block with A/C?
  • I ordered one for my 47 pickup, can't wait for it to arrive!
    Scottova
This discussion has been closed.