Stainless retainer strips

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just finished removing the stainless from around the belt line and roof of the 54 Hornet Hollywood. The retainers are in deplorable condition. The rear of the car was much worse than the front end.I can salvage perhaps 75 % and can fake it by chopping the existing pieces into smaller pieces.I have seen some cars that had this done and it was visable.I would much rather have the correct amount of retainer so the trim doesn't have waves in it. I have wire brushed the rust off, treated with something like POR and will coat with a cold galvanizing paint. I would like to have at least 2 feet of additional useable retainer to be safe. Anyone have some left over from a parts car? Kgap does not list that particular width in the catalog. I can see why.. It's very complex compared to the straight stuff. There are several curves that make it very difficult to duplicate.I have some of the

kgap stainless for the side trim. it looks great. I also used some of the Kgap retainer for the fender skirt trim on my Super six when I converted a Commodore skirt to Super series. Works great.That is the skirt I lost on the Florida Turnpike at 70 MPH. I hope to have this 54 done in the next two months. Just in time for some cooler weather cruisin'.

Dave W. Fl

Comments

This discussion has been closed.