Centre steering pin removal

bob ward
bob ward Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I need to replace the centre steering pivot pin on my stepdown. Got the part off the car and on the bench, but I'm uncertain how best to remove/get around the no. 5 tapered pin that secures the pivot pin to the centre steering arm.

The options seem to be:-

1 Press out the tapered pin. - Seems unlikely to succeed given the taper pin has been hammered/pressed in and has a 2" long fine taper.

2 Drill out the tapered pin. - Hard to drill a 2" deep 1/4" hole accurately, plus there is the potential to make the situation worse by breaking the drill bit in the hole.

3 Press the pivot pin out of the boss, shearing the taper pin in the process. Then concentrate on removing the remains of the taper pin from the boss.

Can someone can offer the fruits of their experience before I start irretrievably damaging components? coldesig@gil.com.au

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I don't know if this helps but It's all I got...

kingpin.jpg
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The last two i did, I drove the pivot shaftout of the housing shearing off the tappered pin. Then removed the pieces with a pin punch or drift. It wasn't much of a hassel as I recall.

Dave w. Fl
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm a bit confused (though, as a non-StepDown owner I am just guessing here)...but...isn't Bob speaking of the 'Centerpoint' steering pin, not the 'kingpin' (as we call it in the States)? And, as to the method of removal, wouldn't that be covered in the shop manual? Or, could you not ask the fellow (or fellows) who sell the replacement centerpoint pin kits?
  • Walt-LA
    Walt-LA Senior Contributor
    Rambo,

What is the source of your info? May be about to replace kingpins on my '51. Thanks,

Walt
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Walt-LA wrote:
    Rambo,

What is the source of your info? May be about to replace kingpins on my '51. Thanks,

Walt

I got that Kingpin scan from my Chiltons Auto Repair Manual 1940-1953

But - yeah, sorry - what was being looked for was the Centerpoint steering pin. I couldn't find that in the Chiltons - I'm sure someone must have a Hudson Procedure manual
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Bob, the main thing with driving out a tapered pin is the initial shock to jar it loose. You must have a substantial hammer and a punch that will take it. Also have the end of the punch dressed prop0erly so it fits the end of the pin, and if necessary file across the pin to make it a goode contact. You can't use an inadequate hammer, you will only swage the end of the pin. Unlike a tight straight pin which has to be driven out all the way, a tapered pin will fall out once you have unjarred it.

Geoff.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Yup Geoff's right. As a toolmaker, that's what's called a 'locking taper'.

The Mech Repair Manual shows that when putting it back together there is a dimension that must be maintained and you need to drill and ream a completely new hole several degrees radially away from the old one.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I've been browsing the Hudson Service Merchandiser CDs from Alex Burr, and the complete procedure for the centre point pin removal and replacement is detailed in the Feb 53 issue. Its a more complete explanation than that contained in the manual.

Send $15 to Alex to find out how its done, plus heaps of other fascinating details.
This discussion has been closed.