flushing the clutch

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
in the service book it sez to change the clutch fluid every 5000 miles. it also sez toflush the clutch with a 80 / 20 mixture of tetrachloride of carbon (carbon tet) and acetone. inserting about 1/3rd pint of this. being that its impossible to get carbon tet these days, what is a good substitute ? we have the drain plug out and all the oil is out, waiting to see whats next ? help please ? 1946 commodore

davidh

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    David, if you've been having no problem with the clutch it's unnecessary to flush it out.
  • actually it chatters a bit but we will try just new type f ? fluid. thanks.
  • when i had the '54 Wasp i flushed it with kerosene.

you should use Hudsonite in your clutch,WAY smoother than ATF.

if you can't get Hudsonite,or just can't wait,use Dexron.

type F is a little "grabbier" works better for the old dual-range hydra-matic too,in my opinion.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    To answer the question, the modern replacement for Carbon Tet. is 'Carbo-chlor' marketed by 'Sunnyside' and available at 'True Value.
  • thank you sir ! as suggested above new fluid seemed to help. will flush it the next 5000 miles which may not even be in my lifetime.

davidh
  • Uncle Josh,

What would be the advantage of Carbo-chlor over kerosene? Is it more effective at cleaning the corks? I've flushed the Wasp once, with kerosene - 4000 miles ago. If carbo-chlor is better for some reason, I want to try and find some.

Thanks,

Mark
  • If anyone cares, the one source of carbon tetratchloride I know of is via a coin care produc called, Blue Ribbon coin conditioner, it is pretty much a 4 or 6 oz bottle of carbon tet, and should be available in any coin store (or a good coin store) please be careful, this stuff is supposed to be pretty nasty.....

oh yeah, it cost something like 5 or 6 bucks, so unless you are a real purist, I don't know if it is worth the bother....
  • Reading some of the other posts elsewhere, I'm beginning to become concerned that the kerosene treatment I've been using - isn't enough to remove some of the more detremental buildups in the clutch.

In addition, I don't need any bodily damage that may occur from the use of Carbon tet.

I wanna hear more of what Uncle Josh has to say on the subject.

Mark
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Flushing cork clutches: make solution 4 parts tri-chlor-ethane and one part acetone, available at drug stores. To flush-drain clutch, refill with flushing solution, start engine, with transmission in neutral, depress and release clutch about 100 times at various engine speeds, drain and refill with clutch fluid mixture.

Clutch fluid formula: 12 ounces Ford type F automatic transmission fluid, 12 ounces power steering fluid, 12 ounces Hudsonite, 4 ounces kerosene. Mix all components and use 6 ounces per refill in clutch. (this is a way to extend the Hudsonite, you have on hand, and a less expensive way of refilling, when several refills are required)

Thanks to Ken Schulte, Western Reserve Chapter, for clutch info.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Hey, I ain't got it all worked out yet. I'll try Ken Schulte's formula. He's been there and done that for a long time. If ya ever get a chance, take his painting seminar. Man's a wizard.
  • what and where is Hudsonite ? ? ?
  • club store.... good stuff....

You're right Uncle Josh, we listened to Schulte give a painting seminar at the pittsburg meet, very intersting and informative!

BTW, if you see his paintwork, he's got to know what he's talking about....
This discussion has been closed.