Oil Pump Gear Replacement

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've been told that the distributor "wiggle" that my '49 262 motor does is a result of a bad (non-concentric) oil pump gear. Makes perfect sense. I do know it was replaced many years ago, and could very well have been one of these bad parts that were around then.

I've gotten a new gear and gaskets, and am unsure if it can be done without major surgery. It looks like either the motor has to be out of the car, or at least jacked up several inches. Does anyone know if the oil pump can be removed while the engine is still in the car?

Thanks for the help,

Doug

Comments

• Have not looked under the 26 for '49, but we replaced the oil pump gear on my '54 Hollywood 308 byt jacking the car up on the right side. It's a little tight, but I was able to just pull it out straight. You will need to make sure you get it reinstalled to mesh with the distributor teeth....we got mine off a tooth I believe because I had to trun the distributor furthe around to get the timing correct. Someone else more proficint can provide details on that, but it should be accessible w/o removal of the engine. I believe there is a small seal there you will want to be careful of or replace. Maybe at least this can get you started.
  • Doug--Your 49 probably had a steel oil pump gear in when new
    Many times these gears damaged the cam. A new bronze gear
    would not last. I have never seen a new "bad part" oil pump
    gear. A very loose timing chain will shorten the life of a
    new gear quicker assuming the cam is okay. Randy
  • I would first check that the distributor shaft itself is not bent. This would make the distributor "jiggle" as you describe. Just take it out and check it is running true. Good luck,
    Geoff.
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Well, I did the repairs, and I discovered that the original steel gear was badly worn. Not sure if it's non-concentric or not, but the new bronze gear does not 'wobble' the distributor like the old one did, so there was probably some of that going on too.

Thanks for the help.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.