The Bliss of Marriage is amplified by a 49 Commadore

harry54
harry54 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I was Married this weekend and Blessed by family and a 49 Commadore. I was Wed on Saturday in Ct. and My Bride and I had a glorious day. The weather for a backyard Wedding was amazing. Our Family and Friends shared in our gift to each other. Of Coarse being a Hudnut , Our wedding Charriot was My 49 Commadore Miss Daisy. The Joy of our day was amplified when we left for our Wedding night in the 49. It seemed like something out of a storybook.

One of my Wifes Aunts from Massechewsetts was thrilled to see the 49. You see she is in her early 80's and recently lost her husband . Today the day after When my wife and I returned to say goodbye to her family as everyone was headding back , We offered her a ride . She was overjoyed ! I then discoved that she is the Town historian back in Her town in Mass. As we started to motor off my Bride asked me Why Is there an 8 etched in chrome over the radio? Her aunt replied, 8 cylinder. I was impressed. She then went on to say that the car cost 3,000. dollars back then. Aunt Barbra was making a mear 27 dollars a week. I had to take a step back. The gift of sharing in her Aunt's experiences was a gift to My Bride, Aunt Barbra and I.

The thing of it is , Life is about the sharing of experiences and Our Greatest gift of marriagge was amplified by the history of Memories. Thanks and God Bless.

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Congratulations!

And thanks for sharing the experiences with us it makes a great story:)
  • Great story, that's the stuff I love.

Congratulations on the marriage, I wish you many happy years together.

The '49 Super Six's original owner's wife is still living, in Ky. And much to my surprize, is originally from my own hometown. I'm scheduling a visit to see her and hopefully hear some stories associated with the Hudson Coupe. They owned it for 44 years and drove it till '68.

The stories behind these cars is as unique as the cars themselves. Truly, some priceless history.

I recently went to a car show with my own 2 Hudsons. They are not pristine, but I like to think they are approachable in their "in process" condition. Older men whom you'd think never jaywalked in their lives, telling you what they did to get a few more horses out of their Hornet. Old moonshiners telling you quietly how they modified this, modified that - to stay ahead of the law in an era of OHV muscle car driving ATF agents. The latest was a farmer who sold 'liquid corn' mentioning how he had his OD rigged to shift with a "2-speed relay" from his farm truck - essentially making it a 6 speed. (I still don't understand how he did that - but I'm wanting to know more!)

I don't take my cars to shows for the sake of showing - its the stories I hear by simply being there and having a vehicle that sparks memories in some folks they may have not related in decades. Priceless.

Mark
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Recently a program on the History Channel, AutoManiac, featured Moonshine cars. While Fords predominated in the 1930's simply because there were more of them, Hudsons were given about 5 to 8 min when they got to the 1950's. And while they showed mostly mods that were done to the Ford V-8, you got to know there were some savy "out-in-the-barn" mechanics doing things to Hudsons that were definitely NOT factory approved!!! It wasn't that big a transition from mid-nite tripping to NASCAR left turn only, thank you, for Hudsons in the early 50's.

And the things they did with the Fury's and Mopar hemis in the 60's is beyond telling.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Great story, that's the stuff I love.

Congratulations on the marriage, I wish you many happy years together.

The '49 Super Six's original owner's wife is still living, in Ky. And much to my surprize, is originally from my own hometown. I'm scheduling a visit to see her and hopefully hear some stories associated with the Hudson Coupe. They owned it for 44 years and drove it till '68.

The stories behind these cars is as unique as the cars themselves. Truly, some priceless history.

I recently went to a car show with my own 2 Hudsons. They are not pristine, but I like to think they are approachable in their "in process" condition. Older men whom you'd think never jaywalked in their lives, telling you what they did to get a few more horses out of their Hornet. Old moonshiners telling you quietly how they modified this, modified that - to stay ahead of the law in an era of OHV muscle car driving ATF agents. The latest was a farmer who sold 'liquid corn' mentioning how he had his OD rigged to shift with a "2-speed relay" from his farm truck - essentially making it a 6 speed. (I still don't understand how he did that - but I'm wanting to know more!)

I don't take my cars to shows for the sake of showing - its the stories I hear by simply being there and having a vehicle that sparks memories in some folks they may have not related in decades. Priceless.

Mark

Mark, you have a very unique opportunity to document your car with having access to the original owners. IMHO, I would write down notes and interesting facts and even perhaps take a picture of her with the car and get her a copy of it. Collectors love that stuff. Regardless, it makes the car more interesting. Niels
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    nhp1127 wrote:
    Mark, you have a very unique opportunity to document your car with having access to the original owners. IMHO, I would write down notes and interesting facts and even perhaps take a picture of her with the car and get her a copy of it. Collectors love that stuff. Regardless, it makes the car more interesting. Niels

They must surely have photos, slides or possibly old home movies showing the Hudson - how cool would that be to get copies of?
  • thanks guys, I'm on it!

Also, and this is quite unbelievable in the historical preservation realm.

The '49 still has the original motor co. tag on the back from the dealer who sold it new.

The family of the old dealership has made contact with me, since I was interested in Hudsons. They have some Hudson stuff in an old barn at thier property and I'm hoping to find some dealership type items and perhaps some old photos etc.

A pretty rare opportunity I believe. I want to have the car in shape to drive up there when I visit. Not pristine, just a good driving condition. I need to hurry up!

Mark
  • harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    1244.jpg1245.jpg
  • Mark we will be looking for that 49 in Pigeon Forge.
This discussion has been closed.