Favourite stepdown grille design

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Inspired by the previous thread, I figured why not start a poll?

For stepdown Hudsons, which grille design is your favourite?

Apologies to non-stepdown owners. The list would get way too long otherwise. ;)

Comments

• 1948-1949

1949HudsonSuper6Brougham.jpg

hs500101.JPG

1951-1952

1951_hudson_hornet2.jpg

Horn53Hudson.JPG

jpg834.jpg
  • I guess I am a little partial to the 1950 Pacemaker grille like the one

shown since thats what I own, but I actually love the grille on the

Super-Commodore better because of the front parking lights.

PaceRacer50

(7 days till first DRIVE thru the neighborhood. 7.25 days until POLICE

stop by to see what the hell just went thru the neighborhood)
  • Thankfully, I am totally unbiased in saying that 51 grill is the best. ;)
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I love Chrome and Stainless - for sheer weight and volume you have to go for 51 and above - for pure elegance through simplicity it's the 48-50 (although the 50 is a little different)

I voted for elegance and simplicity - 48-49
  • I voted '48-'49, but for a real clean look all you need is a '50 minus the triangle and the bumper gaurds. http://home.comcast.net/~m.rosseau/1950hudson.tif
  • I'm going with rambo and lookout!, both posts sum up my opinions on grilles.

I voted for the '48/'49. It was the grille and rear glass that I fell in love with and made me search for one.

If I could vote for my wife - she'd vote for the '53. She likes the curves but doesn't like the "triangle" grille bars of the 51-52.

Mark
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    I also felt compelled to vote 48-49, because that's what is in my garage. I really wouldn't mind voting for each year, though.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Iteresting...this poll might turn out similar to the sales-production figures of the cars when they were new.....except for the 1950 model year
  • 48-49 here also
  • Love The 53, Bill Albright
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Kinda like my 49 without the center bumper bars. Might leave it that way.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/unclejoshshudsons.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2653
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Could we have a grill from a "senior" 1950 model with the grill display ? It is a little different than the pacemaker. It's a combination of the 48-49 grill and the 51-52. It's not frowning ,and has more stainless like the 48-49, and 1954. We can always see about having the Jet included at a later date.
  • Even though I started this poll, I didn't vote until today.

It was a tough choice between the 51/52 and the 53, because I kind of like the triangle on the 51/52. But in the end, I had to go with the 53, because that's my Hudson's year.

I prefer the "fat" style of 51/52 and 53. To me, they go better with the long gentle curves of the stepdowns. Plus, as others have mentioned, they're mean-lookin'. Love that bad-ass quality.

But it seems that the clear favourite is the "skinny" grille of the 48/49 and the 50. The people have spoken!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Yea me too. I have a 49 and love it, but prefer the 53 grille. I agree about the lines of the car. I always thought the 48 grille was a carry over to try to keep the Hudson identity .. Otherwise there wouldn't be any family resemblence (sp?). Just imagine the 47 car and a 51 car. How would one ever know they were from the same factory? Yep I voted 53.. I never did have mainstream taste in cars.
  • I'll go for the 48-49 even though I like mine!
  • B. Ridle
    B. Ridle Expert Adviser
    I like the 1950 grill, especially the Super/Commodore version. The extended stainless seemed to give the car a just a bit of a wider/lower appearance, without being massive. Pretty incredible when you consider just how wide and low a stepdown already was!
This discussion has been closed.