Proper transmission oil?

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I notice that when my '37's engine is cold (like when I first start driving in the morning) the gears shift with a minimum of clashing. But as it warms up, it's nearly impossible to upshift (at least from second to third) without grinding gears, unless I double-clutch. I've put up with this for 32 years but it occurred to me that perhaps if I used a heavier oil, things might, well, quiet down a bit in the old gearbox. I have always used whatever transmission oil was on the shelf at the store. Would a heavier oil work better? Recently I bought some Model A Ford transmission oil (supposedly 600 weight!) to use in my steering gear box.... would this be something to consider pouring into my transmission? (It's an overdrive, by the way.) Or, are there any 'in-betweens' out there that are easily obtainable?

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jon, a modern EP90W/140 is the heaviest you should go with your transmission. Anything heavier and you won't get adequate flow through the white-metal bearings. Your gear change problem is still a mater of technique and timing - don't hesitate except for a very minimal pause between 2nd and high. From low to 2nd should be as fast as possible. There are no synchros in this box, but it is constant mesh with a shifter sleeve. Good luck,

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.