Hudson promotional movies

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone know a source for that movie showing the dedication of the new Essex Terraplane, where Amelia Earhart gives a speech then 'Christens' the car with a bottle of champagne (or whatever was legal during Prohibition!) -- ? I've seen this movie as well as other early Hudson promotional movies, but always on 16mm format. I wonder if one can get it now on DVD or videotape?

Comments

• I got my Hudson movies on VHS from a guy on ebay. Got all the stuff for stepdown years plus loads of commercials and races. Will lookup his name for you he had lots of stuff.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Jon in one of the past recently WTN's a guy by the name of Harold Dobel perhaps also known under "Ocean Movies" or something like that was advertising 3 volumes of Hudson videos. also available on DVD In the first volume they show the Terraplane christening although it is not a very long segment. Dig through some past classified and I think you'll find it.
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Hi Jon;

The film you are looking for is in a video sold by Eldon Hostetler of Middlebury, Ind. titled News Clips of the 30's, Essex Terraplane,Hudson Motor Car Company and State of the Economy by Roy Chapin. Amelia Christens the Terraplane with a bottle of gasoline.

Ocean Video Movies has some Hudson video's also, phone # is 732 269 1206

Historic Video Archives has Hudson video's too. No phone but the address is P.O.Box 189, Cedar Knolls, New Jersey, 07927

These are old catalogs, so I'm not sure if they are still in business. Let us know what you find.

Gene
  • Here is another video source that claims 15 min of video with Amelia -

"VW Video and 1955 Chevrolet VHS SP 2 HRS:

This tape is a compilation of shorts: The Car Makers, VW factory footage, 30 Minutes; Sure Thing 1964 VW 20 minutes; Five Miles West, 20 minutes,1957 VW; and various 60's and 70's VW commercials. Also 1955 Chevrolet Torque Talk. Chevrolet stages various races and climbs against the 1955 Ford and 1955 Plymouth. {We didn't have space to put this one one the 1955 Chevrolet tape},Canada To The Keys sponsored by Ford travelogue of places to see in your new 1955 Ford along the East coast {resolution is low quality},1932 Hudson Terraplane 15 minutes, with Amelia Earhart. And 1938 Studebaker Dealership 5 minutes, home movie filler. $15.00

UPC #: 88172100098 VHS"

http://www.videoobscurata.com/cars.html
This discussion has been closed.