Chrome Plating

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
does anyone on this list have a caswell triple chrome plating kit and or a rectifier thats used in the process ? i looking for some input from someone experienced in the process / products.

thanks in advance,

davidh

Comments

• At-home chroming can't be any worse than the garbage we get from the chrome shops these days! Let us know if it actually works!
  • also interested in the caswell kit....
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Looks like something that would be fun to play with - but I would have to do more than 1 car to buy the setup.

http://www.caswellplating.com

TC1 Triple Chrome Kit VHS Video DVD 1.5 Gal $544.50

TC2 Triple Chrome Kit VHS Video DVD 3 Gal $764.50

TC3 Triple Chrome Kit VHS Video DVD 4.5 Gal $874.50

There are a couple of different links on the home page to customers who built their own workstations with these kits - here is a link to one - pretty nice setup!

http://www.caswellplating.com/restgal/mueller.htm
  • somewhere last night i read aobut this industry being the first and hardest regulated business inthe country. something about "erin brokovich" and what made her famous. seems the only way you can be un-regulated is to do it only as a hobby. if you do it for profit, the regulators step in and you are then you are stuck in the world of hasmat and all its regulations. quite an article. looked for it again this morning and i can't remember where it was.

that is a very nice setup the motorcycle guy as made. i saw that a few years ago in their literature and my wheels started to turn.

i did notice the guy had a $400 or more power supply that is additional. i still may try it. i fix & sell tools for a living so this might prove to be interesting. having a plated air wrench or similar might be a selling point. "only one in the world" ingersol rand did that with their 1/2" impact a couple years ago. it was quite out of line for cost but very attractive to say the least. i have yet to see one to repair so maybe they didn't sell that many up here.

i figured about 1200 would get you the stuff you need, then make a statioin for it. good winter project maybe being i cant locate a good 46-47 commadore i can afford.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    davidh wrote:
    somewhere last night i read aobut this industry being the first and hardest regulated business inthe country. something about "erin brokovich" and what made her famous. seems the only way you can be un-regulated is to do it only as a hobby. if you do it for profit, the regulators step in and you are then you are stuck in the world of hasmat and all its regulations. quite an article. looked for it again this morning and i can't remember where it was.

that is a very nice setup the motorcycle guy as made. i saw that a few years ago in their literature and my wheels started to turn.

i did notice the guy had a $400 or more power supply that is additional. i still may try it. i fix & sell tools for a living so this might prove to be interesting. having a plated air wrench or similar might be a selling point. "only one in the world" ingersol rand did that with their 1/2" impact a couple years ago. it was quite out of line for cost but very attractive to say the least. i have yet to see one to repair so maybe they didn't sell that many up here.

i figured about 1200 would get you the stuff you need, then make a statioin for it. good winter project maybe being i cant locate a good 46-47 commadore i can afford.

Of course the more I think of it the more things I could probably do with a setup like that!

What I didn't find on their website yet is the answer to this question "Based on the size of each of their 3 kits for sale - just roughly how many parts you would be able to plate before having to buy more raw materials?"

Its very possible this solution could be extremely cost effective...
  • THE ARTICLEi read last eve said the amount of byproduct that a hobbiest would produce does not fall into the "amount" catagory of the pca. the guy went on further that he would not even dispose of the rinse water for fear of it leaching into the aquasystem. your responsible forever for the product you buy / produce according to the writer. not enviromental friendly. the cycle frame was done by someone that had the larger tank. what a by-product he must produce with tanks like that.

the fumes from the process are vented out, the pails of product have a layer of something on the liquid to prevent excess evaporation i would assume during the process when they need to be open. there's a LOT of information on the web if you search google "chrome plating" i went thru 10 pages or so, of different sites to read

maybe the "copy chrome" they advertise would be a better idea ???
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    It would be better I think to start out plating cadmium, copper or nickle plating. While chrome plating involves toxic chemicals, these are much less toxic. There are many places on Hudsons that use cadmium plating like brackets, linkages and nuts and bolts. This kind of plating would be easier I think to learn.
  • not looking to make any money here just do my own plating and thought i could save tons of $$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    I noticed that he says that the frame he shows was done at a local plating shop, so he probably doesn't have a 'huge' tank.
  • I have a friend who bought this set up. Never got it to work right. Now it takes up room in his garage and he feels like he was taken yet again......
This discussion has been closed.