Looking for a complete, rebuildable Hornet Engine and manual trans

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Anyone got one available? Thanks, Niels

Comments

• TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    wHAT part of the country are you in? Are you looking for a specific size engine and do you want 3 speed Tranny or Automatic and are you looking for Overdrive?
  • Hi Tom,

I'm in So. Cal. Need 308 and three speed with O.D. Niels
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    I probably can get you one, but it is in Oregon....can you arrange pick up?

If so I'll look into price for you
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Call Bill Albrite
  • Thanks, but I won't deal with Bill anymore. Niels
  • nhp1127 wrote:
    Thanks, but I won't deal with Bill anymore. Niels

why not? just curious....
  • contact JJimsresto@aol.com he has a couple and sells them cheap. In addition, he delivers.
  • Because I Told Him To Find Another Hudson Dealer, Bill Albright
  • bill a wrote:
    Because I Told Him To Find Another Hudson Dealer, Bill Albright

Bill,

Let's get this out in the open. You did some shoddy work on my 48 Commodore and did not take corrective action.

1. You replaced my cracked CLEAR vent glass window with a TINTED one.

2. Your replaced my motor mounts. Two of the four mounts you replaced were completely loose and not tightened down.

3. You replaced the head and head gasket. It leaked coolant from the thermostat housing and ruined the brand new paint job that you did on the engine. Also, when I brought this leak to your attention you simply handed me a gasket and told me to fix it. When that didn't work, you handed me a different thermostat housing and told me to fix it. That still didn't work so I took my housing to a machine shop and had it resurfaced. It leaked aswell. Final determination was that it was leaking from the head...

4. I took a test drive with your mechanic. He told me in conversation that the "first" head that they put on was "cracked" and had to be replaced. I find this interesting since you charged me to have the replacement head magnufluxed. Why was the crack not found on the first head if it had been magnufluxed? Answer: per your mechanic, it wasn't!

5. You repainted the engine bay and got overspray on various parts of the engine

6. My drivemaster / vacumaster worked perfectly before you had my car. Now it doesn't work at all.

7. I paid you in full, over $1,700 in cash when I picked up the car. I have a whole string of e-mails to you in which I addressed the coolant leak and other issues. It is a four hour round trip from my house to your "shop". I made four trips there and got no remedy.

Prior to all this I had spent over $1,200 in parts with you.

Bill, all I wanted was for you to correct the problem that I paid you good money for. Contrary to what you may think, you are not the only Hudson vendor out there and in my opinion your worship of the nickel will bring your undoing. Atleast I have the continued satisfaction of telling Hudsonites my dismal experience with you. Niels Pedersen
  • the only problem you told me about was the thermostat housing leak, I gave you another one and a gasket as you complained about the 4 hour trip to come back, Your car would not even pull itself when you came in here, you had it to other shops and they couldnt even diagnose the problem. I feel I gave you good service and parts, then you complain that I should not charge you for centerdriveline bushings i mailed to you, you drove the car to reno and back a thousand mile round trip after our service, your bellyaching will get you nowhere with me or other HUDSON OWNERS i STAND BY MY 35 YEAR REPUTATION IN THIS CLUB
  • Bill,

You have me confused with someone else... I drove my car to you while enduring two hours in LA traffic. You may remember it now because the heater core you sold me was leaking allover the passenger floorboard. Remember now? Also, please don't take credit for me driving my car to Reno. I actually trailered my car to Reno because I didn't trust it mechanically. How can you possibly explain away replacing a CLEAR vent glass window with a TINTED one? Just plain sloppy... like the rest of the work you did. You blatently lied about having the head manufluxed. Your own employee told me this! I don't like your business ethics and your reputation is not what you think it is. Niels Pedersen
  • nhp1127 wrote:
    Bill,

Let's get this out in the open. You did some shoddy work on my 48 Commodore and did not take corrective action.

1. You replaced my cracked CLEAR vent glass window with a TINTED one.

2. Your replaced my motor mounts. Two of the four mounts you replaced were completely loose and not tightened down.

3. You replaced the head and head gasket. It leaked coolant from the thermostat housing and ruined the brand new paint job that you did on the engine. Also, when I brought this leak to your attention you simply handed me a gasket and told me to fix it. When that didn't work, you handed me a different thermostat housing and told me to fix it. That still didn't work so I took my housing to a machine shop and had it resurfaced. It leaked aswell. Final determination was that it was leaking from the head...

4. I took a test drive with your mechanic. He told me in conversation that the "first" head that they put on was "cracked" and had to be replaced. I find this interesting since you charged me to have the replacement head magnufluxed. Why was the crack not found on the first head if it had been magnufluxed? Answer: per your mechanic, it wasn't!

5. You repainted the engine bay and got overspray on various parts of the engine

6. My drivemaster / vacumaster worked perfectly before you had my car. Now it doesn't work at all.

7. I paid you in full, over $1,700 in cash when I picked up the car. I have a whole string of e-mails to you in which I addressed the coolant leak and other issues. It is a four hour round trip from my house to your "shop". I made four trips there and got no remedy.

Prior to all this I had spent over $1,200 in parts with you.

Bill, all I wanted was for you to correct the problem that I paid you good money for. Contrary to what you may think, you are not the only Hudson vendor out there and in my opinion your worship of the nickel will bring your undoing. Atleast I have the continued satisfaction of telling Hudsonites my dismal experience with you. Niels Pedersen

Gentlemen... While there are items in Niels' statement of inadequate/shoddy workmanship that might well not have been caused by the work that was done by Bill's shop - There are valid items/points, which if valid & proven - can best be described as 'criminal'...

That of charging for parts/services that were never provided (i.e., 'magnufluxing the head'). This falsification of charges for services not actually provided or done, if valid and proven, could have caused at least some of the other damages to the vehicle, and could/would bring the rest of the work in question as well.

If these indications of questionable workmanship and charges of work not accomplished are true, they need to be addressed. If it has gotten to the point of 'name calling' or squabbles, it has probably gone too far to resolve (between you two)... If there has been falsification of charges for work (intentional or not) that were not properly addressed, then it's time to take it to court... The filing of criminal or civil charges -
  • Grumpy is 100% on the money.

I've known Bill for 35 years or so and have never had a problem with him or his word. I never had any work done by Bill so I have no experience there.

Niels, you seem to be pretty reasonable and we have had some discussion on this subject off of the forum. I respect your viewpoint and agree that nobody should be charged for work not completed or completed properly.

That being said, this forum is not the place to do the bickering and name calling on either side. We all love Hudson products or we wouldn't be here. I've had my own bout with name calling and left the forum for a while due to it but realized that the greater brotherhood is with the make and vehicle and not with individual persons.

Folks continue to recommend Bill for things because their experience is not the same as yours. Bill has to be commended for saving and restoring a lot of Hudsons that simply would have been lost to history. I know, I sold a couple of 1950 Pacemaker Convertibles to him in the early 70's that would have probably not met a kind fate because I didn't have the funds and knowhow to rescue them. Bill was also one of the first folks to reproduce quality parts for Hudson stepdowns. I remember some of the first reproduction parts and they were pretty horrendous!

Niels, Grumpy makes a good point. If you have been wronged, take the proof and file a suit in small claims court. Let an impartial judge take care of the situation. Life is far too short to hold a grudge and poison the well that we Hudsonites live in. The marque is far too small to benefit by any ill will. :o

This is the major reason that I support all Hudsons and their owners. Restored, restified, odd rod, street rod, street machine, Kustom all have a place as Hudson was the orgination. Hudson rules!!! :D
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Amen, Backtohudsons. Niels has made his point, Bill has rebutted, and there is no useful reason to continue this discussion on the Forum.
  • I truly respect the advice of all the above and the points are very well taken... especially hats off to you "backtoHudsons". Going to court is a headache and is not worth my time, effort and money. Some of you may say then that it must not be too important for you not to pursue it in court but that is not true. I'm a working professional and my time, money and hassle isn't worth dealing with California's backlogged legal system. It is cheaper for me to have learned by my mistake. Some things can be always be disputed but it is pretty hard to dispute something as obvious as a freshly painted engine paint job ruined by leaking coolant, a tinted window installed in a clear glass car, etc,etc. Many people ask for recommendations on this forum and I would not in good conscience want anyone to get the poor service that I got. I don't want anymore bickering either but some people don't walk on water. I have said my piece and everyone can make their own conclusions. Niels
  • sdLI welcome a law suit, you paid for only magnafluxing one head. they missed the crack on top and only looked on the bottom they did the second head for free when I showed them the top crack, I changed two heads and you only paid for the labor on one, I ate that labor, your attitude sucks, I dont need to rip anyone off to make a good living working on Hudsons BILL ALBRIGHT, i DO IT AS A lOVE AND A FAVOR TO MOST
  • Bill,

Your response says it all. See ya around at the meets. Niels

P.S. I have a 48 Commodore drivers side tinted vent glass window if anyone needs one for cheap!
  • LI LWLLILL BE GLAD TO SEND A CLEAR OR REPAY YOU FOR THE TINTED, LET ME KNOW bill albright
  • I recommend PISTOLS at 30 paces!!!
  • How about 308's and 1320? winner take all!
This discussion has been closed.