Westport Ct. Concour de elagance

harry54
harry54 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Rushing to a Sunday show only 4 miles from home I thought that I would enjoy a quick stop back in time. As I walked onto the town green I saw Packards , Caddilacs , Mercedes and Even a Delahaye. Each automoble top shelf 100,000. plus restoration. I felt as if I didn't belong . I tried to enter my 49 commadore 3 weeks earlier but to no avail as I was late for the deadline. Do you know not one Hudson was in the field. Maybe it's me but I really think I have Hudsonitis. I only want to be with my kind. Somehow going to a show without Hudsons just isn't the same anymore.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    well, there's two ways of looking at this situation:

1) don't go to a show that has no Hudsons in it, or...

2) when you find such a Hudson-less show, get some Hudsons in it (next year)! Then you'll be with your kind, AND give the general populace the chance to see that there is more to life than just Packards, Cadillacs, Mercedes and the occasional Delahaye!
  • harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    John,

Your right, there is so much of the collector car world that just doesn't know about the greatest engineering feat of all time. Not to mention the best unsung hero and underdog.

So Next year, I'll carry the baton and lead the Hudosn Parade at the Westport show. I guess deep down it's our job to spread the word........
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    I go to many shows where I am the Only Hudson there.....Constantly being asked why there are not more of us showing our cars......Well I just scratch my head and tell em that I do what I can and for the most part I have lots of support from the OTHER folks at the shows....They are GLAD that I came and many times my car is the one at the show drawing the most interest.

Even if yer the ONLY person out there showing yer car .....thats one more than they had last year and it is a kick in the shorts being Unique....Hell anyone can show a 57 Chevy.....hahahahahha
  • Last show I was at, I had a lot of lookers looking at my Terp 8, many more than were looking at the other cars. Most people were really suprised to find that Hudson acually built something like it.
  • My son took his Commodore Six to a local car show and it got more attention, questions and interest that any of the other cars there. Thats the neat part about hudsons is they are uncommon enough where the get noticed:)
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    davidh wrote:
    My son took his Commodore Six to a local car show and it got more attention, questions and interest that any of the other cars there. Thats the neat part about hudsons is they are uncommon enough where the get noticed:)

You guys are getting me all misty over here... as my project drags on and I keep dreaming of the day when I will finally drive my 49 for the first time...

Then taking it to car shows and having everyone ask "Is that a Merc..." or "How much did you chop the roof?" (relax - I didn't chop mine:)) or "How something that big weighs in @ 3600 pounds when my new Lamborghini weighs 3800?" :eek:

• hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    One really nice thing I've noticed about my stepdown, is that it fits in at every car show. It looks right in the Classic shows, it fits right in at a Street Rod venue, it even mingles well with the Street Machines and Low Riders....and of course, ANY Cruise Night or Show and Shine. People unfamiliar with Hudsons can't believe the body lines are stock. They're too busy looking at what they think is a really good chop job!

Of course, it's at home at a Hudson show or meet, and at any multi-make show it always draws a much bigger crowd than the GMs and Fords parked nearby.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    People who have Hudsonitis real bad aren't even interested in other cars, they only care about Hudson's and only want to be at Hudson shows. Hudson had a high degree of owner loyalty when they were new and just as high a loyalty now. A recent Car Values magazine artical said, "Hudson owners are not like other car enthusiasts."

I recall being at a major Route 66 mixed make show (500 cars) and being parked next to a '70 Chevelle muscle car or something. The owner did not so much as get a glance from spectators parked next to my Hudson and it was in unrestored condition. I think he was getting aggrivated and I felt kinda bad so I asked him all the history on his car myself. Point is, as someone who has worked on restoring cars I appreciate what a car nut goes through to put something back on the road and if it is road worthy it should be shown....at ANY show that will accept it.
This discussion has been closed.