308 engine in Pacemaker?

MikeWA
MikeWA Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
So- I know the Pacemakers were shorter in the front end than Hornets. Does a 308 bolt up in a '50 Pacemaker?

Comments

• Bolts right in. You will notice the short wheelbase cars have an indention in the firewall, long wheelbase cars dont. Theres your difference
  • yea. they will bolt right in. Check out uncommon engineering in Indy, In. they build hiperf motors for hudsons and flatheads. you can buy complete engines with or without core exchange. He built a motor that put out 700 hp for a doc in wisconsin. He said the hudson would do 168mph. he built indy cars/motors for a living before ret. give him a call sometime. loves to chat with hud owners.
  • Pacemaker/Wasp also had slightly smaller brakes, a 9" clutch vs. 10" clutch and a slightly different steering setup. Funny thing is a Pacemaker was supposed to be the economy model of the Hudson stepdown line and it winds up having a bigger better engine than the top of the line Kaiser Dragon! {232 vs. 226 ci. }
  • Would it have helped Hudson if a decesion was made to bring the Jet out in panel delivery or pickup form along with the sedan version? Could a small commercial vehicle using the virtual same tooling have helped or not made much difference in saving the fortunes of Hudson?
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Not sure if the Pacemaker radiator is smaller capacity. May pay to check this out.

Geoff.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    The 308 will bolt in. There are some differences if you want to run twin H. Also, the twin H air cleaners don't fit exactly right do to the wiper motor being in the way. I have a 7X in my '51 Pacemaker. I was using a '50 commodore 8 radiator in mine but just had a new four core custom made. Also, the throttle linkage is different from the hornets.
  • when you put twin h on a pacemaker/wasp, don't you just remove the wipers?

besides, who drives a hudson in the rain anyway? (what about rain-ex?)

When I put twin H in my 50, I never hooked up vacuum to the wiper motor, figured who needs them....

I have seen a custom aircleaner for short wheelbase cars, to fit twin h aircleaners, under the hood.... pretty neat how it was done...

I could only hope to find a short wheelbase coupe to actually put a 308 into!
  • The following picture is of Paul Schuster's BABY with a 308 Hornet motor installed. Baby is a 50 Pacemaker convertible with vacume wipers and the twin H option on the engine. Paul had the rear aircleaner modified to create a uniform straight location of the rear aircleaner. Without the modification, the rear aircleaner will ride on the vacume motor and sit crooked.

PACEMAKER%20WITH%20A%20308%20AIR%20CLEANERS%20ON.JPG?dc=4675398707786924687
  • no, Ken, I was being silly... I know the factory took care of things, for making wipers workable and all on the short wheelbase cars and twin h....

I got to say, Paul's modified aircleaner was one of the most unique approaches to solving the dilema I ever saw....

I was going to post up a picture, but you might have beat me to it, sort of....

Link doesn't work....

and my Macungie pictures are at work....

when i go in, I willl try to get them up!

Later!

Rick
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    Here is a Wasp coupe. Comes with a 50 sedan. Not in good shape, but...

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/dealers.detail/hmn_vehicle_id/214877/
  • Hey, and it's close...

what is it exactly?

is it a wasp coupe, or a hornet coupe, the one looks like a 50 or 51 super 4 door, and I am not sure, but if the coupe is a wasp, it must be a 53, or a 52 pacemaker....

better pictures would help...
  • actually looks to be three hudsons there, a coupe, of some year, a 50 super six, and a 48/49 sometthing...

now I am really confused...

but the 53 wasp 4 door, looks to have twin h....

and the 50 super 4 door looks complete....

what is the coupe? it might be the 48/49....
  • I've got a 308 in a Wasp, same spatial problems as the Pacemaker. My Wasp has the original 262 carburetor linkage hooked up on the 308 for the single WGD carb. Looks completely natural with no issues whatsoever. Ironicly, I have a Twin-H linkage that has an extra lever in the center for hooking up the Wasp linkage. I don't know if its stock or not, but the shape of the lever sure is the same as the levers going to the carburetors. A person could buy an aftermarket link arm and clamp it to the Hornet Twin-H linkage and use the Wasp center positioned link if they needed to. Just leave off the rearward portion applicable to Hornets. Don't cut it off! Never know when you may need it.

I'm not going to run a Twin-H. Instead, I'm trying to work up this outfit for my Wasp.

IMGP0019.JPG

I've laid my hands on a Carter WCFB, I figure Hudson probably would have used a Carter, and the Thermo Choke works out good with the original exhaust manifold.

IMGP0020.JPG

I am still lacking that 232, single WA-1 linkage from a Pacemaker. Once I have that in hand, I'll start working the WCFB onto the Wasper!

The only up close short hooded Twin-H setups I saw were on '54 Wasps. The passenger side horn also had to be relocated as well as the breathers modified with a slight offset to the carburetor attachment. A little side-step that was very nicely done to the rear air cleaner. It also made the air cleaners sit in line rather than having one askew. Nice outfit.

Mark
  • On my 50 commodore, i had to "flip" the horn upside down.... on the passenger side...
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    WELL CAN I SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS LOL I CAN'T TAKE THE CREDIT FOR THE AIR CLEANER ON ON MY 'BABY' NELSON CREASEY DID IT TO HIS PACEMAKER AND I SAW HIS HE GLADLY MADE ME ONE UP A BIG THANKS TO NELSON THE RAD IN MY CAR I WENT WITH A 3' CORE IT STAYS COOL EVEN PARADES I USED A 155 THERMOSTAT,AS FOR THE 308 FITTING ALL 3 ENGINES 232/262/308 ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE OUT SIDE YES I KNOW THERE ARE NAROW AND WIDE BLOCK BUT ALL WILL FIT AND HERE IS THE URL FOR THE BABY PHOTO'S

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/50hudsonpcvrestobaby.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1625

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/50hudsonpcvrestobaby.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1624
  • :) located baton rouge la. good project car complete less motor and transmission

I have dual trans and most parts for 308 except block.

willsand54@bellsouth.com
  • I was fortunate enough to find a 1950 Pacemaker two door in a texas field a couple years ago. I got the complete car with title for 2 hundred dollars. Of course I will probably have 20,000 in it before I am through. I just bought had the 232 bored and bought the stuff to rebuild it. Should I scrap that and go to a 308? All I want is a reliable daily driver.....
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    alexa wrote:
    I was fortunate enough to find a 1950 Pacemaker two door in a texas field a couple years ago. I got the complete car with title for 2 hundred dollars. Of course I will probably have 20,000 in it before I am through. I just bought had the 232 bored and bought the stuff to rebuild it. Should I scrap that and go to a 308? All I want is a reliable daily driver.....

Well, the way I see it, the 232 will delivery much better gas mileage then the 308. This no small thing with gas prices going thru the roof. Also you will not waste the money you sent on the 232 and the car will be orginal. On the other hand the 308 will delivery much better performance.

So comes down to your need for speed and your wallet.
  • 51 pace maker 4dr sed for sale Baton Rouge , L.A. Good project car complete less

engine and transmission.

willsand54@bellsouth.net
This discussion has been closed.