Who didn't Race a Hudson?

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I found this interesting tidbit on Mario Andretti's website - but was it really a Hornet?

...Andretti began his own racing career with his twin brother Aldo, at the age of 19, in 1959 in Nazareth, soon after he and his family emigrated to the United States and discovered a dirt track, virtually in their back yard.

The first of Mario's victories came in the very first race he entered in Nazareth, at the wheel of a 1948 Hudson Hornet Sportsman Stock Car. In the next three years, Andretti won 20 events in the Sportsman class.

Comments

• I was going to try and get my dad to race me in my hudson, against his, the other weekend, I don't know if that counts though...

His would probably win... maybe not, I don't know....

mine's a 262 50, with twin H, 3 speed, and 4:10's (and mine's a bit loose...)

his is a 52, bored 60 over, with a 262, 2 barrel, and hydromatic, 3:59's
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Take him on for "Pinks".

LOL
  • As I understand Andretti also raced a 38 Hudson.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Someone should tell Mr. Andretti that Hudson didn't make the Hornet until 1951.
  • Jason

...48 Hudson Sportsman is a designation for a class of Stockcars that raced in the early days of NASCAR sanctioned races. The 48 body was powered by a Hornet engine. The Andretti brothers and others used Hudson bodied race cars to begin thier careers. Hudson legend and engine designer Bernie Siegfried prepared Hudson bodied and powered circle track cars for racing on KS and MO dirt tracks. Most of the small block crowd would not race a Hudson powered car and on some tracks the Siegfried prepared cars were...BANNNED... because they won all the races.

Cheers from Texas
  • Didn't Bernie also run a Hudson powered sprint car?
  • Tom: Yes he did.
This discussion has been closed.