timing a 26

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
So, is it just me?

I read the service manual for the 26 about setting the timing. It says to get to TDC on cylinder 1 and line up the timing indicator with the A on the flywheel through the access hole.

Well, I found the access hole, I found the indicator, I found TDC, but I don't see no A on the flywheel.

Also, I tried a timing light using a 12 volt power supply and putting the induction pickup on the #1 wire. I sure can't find any place that would indicate where you could point that thing that will tell you where or how the engine is timed. Am I missing something? I suppose they didn't have timing lights back then, but here had to be some way to figure out if it was set right. Maybe it was just that they were all better mechanics back then ;) I really thought I saw some place with an indicator that would tell you whether you were advanced or retarded (the spark, not me :D ), but I sure can't find it now.

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, it's still running. Not well, but it starts most of the time. I still have to use a battery jumper, but I can deal with that until I get it running a little better.

One other thing. There seems to be something in the generator (?) that sometimes continues to draw from the battery after I shut the motor off. You can tell by the ammeter in the dash. I found out the hard way, back when I first put the battery in, it died over night. I realized that even with the ignition shut off, something was drawing power (quite a bit, actually.) A short maybe?

A quick tap on the generator with a hammer seems to fix the problem, but I would rather fix the problem the right way.

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My my, you do insist on finding things out the hard way! The generator problem sounds like the cut-out points not opening. You may have to replace the cut-out, but first try opeing up the points gap slightly by allowing a little more clearance between the coil and armature (top flat piece). The t.d.c. mark is usually just a straight mark on the flywheel, but if ring gear has been replaced it is possible this has been machined off. I suggest you get under the car and thoroughly clean off the front surface of the flywheel and see if you can find it. If you do find it, mark it with white paint. Otherwise you are going to have to determine t.d.c. with a bent wire down the plug hole. Good luck,

Geoff.
  • To time it static you can use a test light. Take all the plugs out so it is easy to turn and so it doesn't fire on you. Find your timing mark and turn the engine a bit back opposite of normal engine rotation. Hook the test lite to ground and the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor. With the ignition on, turn the engine by hand in the normal running direction and the test lite should illuminate when you hit the timing mark. Adjust the distributor as neccessary. Is your car automatic advance?

I had a hard time locating the marks on my 31 Hudson. They were all crudded up and it took a bit of cleaning to find them but they are probably there.

Good Luck

Steve
This discussion has been closed.