what size radials to order

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am about to place an order for a set of Goodyear wide white radials for my '53 Hornet coupe, (my driver).

I plan to use the stock rims (after powdercoating), and was wondering if the 235's would fit Ok, or should I stick with the 225's ??

Maybe there's another brand radial out there in a particular size that looks more authentic ?? ( I'm not really into the "bicycle tire" look of the stock 710-15's, especially when following from a bit of a distance from the rear, so fatter is better I guess, as long as they'll fit the stock rims, and since radials weren't a factory option then anyway so I'll already have stepprd "over the line".

Are the Goodyear's a good choice??

silverone.

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I haven't bought mine yet but from searching posts on the forum and emails I've exhanged with Coker you can put a 235x75 on the stock rims with only a few people experiencing light rubbing in a tight turn.

If you search the Hudson forum there are several posts with more detailed information on tires and opinions on the different makes.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    An issue with rear tires being able to clear the body has to be addressed. A very wide tire might be a problem to change on the side of the road. Some shocks are not long enough in the "extended" mode to allow much clearance. just a thought..Anyone have experience with this issue?
  • Silverone,

I just purchased a set of the Goodyear WW for my 1951 Comm 8 coupe. I went with the 225 size on stock rims. It was a tight fit on the rear tires, but I had some frame repair, so my frame may be a little tighter than stock. They drive very nice, and look great.
  • Good thing I asked this question, because I hadn't considered the rear wheel clearance and it does appear to be rather tight in there. I was more focused on turning clearance in the front wheels.

From this advice, I think I'd better lean towards the 225's, which I'm told by the dealer is pretty close to the stock size. I'd hate to install a set, have them rub somewhere, and then be refused if I wanted to trade them back in for a smaller set.

The advice is appreciated.

silverone
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    Hi Have You Thought About The Harder To Steer When You Going To Park And The Radial Tire Has A Bigger Foot Print And Is Smaller Around Than A 7.10x15 There For Less Mpg With The Price Of Gas This Is Some Thing To Think About

I Went With BF Goodrich 760x15 For My 50 Pacemaker Cv The Car Drives Great And It's Not A Chore To Park It I See No Great Benefit In Going With The Radial Tire. Hudson Didn't Make It That Way But You Can Do What You Want It Is Your Car And Your Money Good Luck
  • Hi Paul, -- I hadn't really thought about the parking situation either, when considering the radials, but I am "old school" when it comes to driving, having learned on many, many "armstrong steering" vehicles before power steering became widespread. Thusly, I learned to never crank the wheels left or right unless the car is moving, even if its only a foot or so. This, as you undoubtedly know, greatly alleviates the pressure required on all the steering linkage, and also reduces "scrubbing" on the tires. I even hate to crank on the wheels with all the weight on the tires while servicing the car in the shop, --- so I guess that practice learned early is deeply ingrained for life.

Unfortunately many of our younger drivers may have never had to drive something without power steering, so may not have had the chance to learn that trick.

As for the price of gas, and smaller diameter tires, you're right there too, as I have a little saying that goes -- "the smaller the diameter or circumference of the wheel, the more revolutions required per mile", thusly resulting in more wear and tear on everything driveline related, including the tires. However, since my Hudson gets driven not nearly enough miles in a year, the slight difference in cost related to all this will be a non-issue.

I assume when you say you went with the Goodrich's, that they are bias-ply?? If so, then you have a moot point there, because I have great difficulty bringing myself to stray from authenticity on anything regarding my Hudsons, so I think my hand would be shaking when I signed the invoice for some radials, even if I talked myself into believing I was doing it in the interest of "safety"! I guess if bias-ply is so "unsafe" compared to radials, then all the Hudsons would be off to the crushers long ago, having all been "crashed" at speed, since they were very fast cars for their day.

I will seriously consider the Goodrich's !! I believe you have a valid point there.

Thanks for the input.

silverone

www.hudsoncollector.com
  • My Stepdowns have all had either 215R75 or 225R75 radials and I've not had a problem either way. My '56 Wasp had 7.20x15 www bias plies, but of course, it has a completely different suspension geometry than a Step, but it rode fine on those.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Silverone, I have run Firestone P235/75R15 M+S on my stepdown with the whitewalls. And They road beautifully and changing them in the back wasn't too hard provided I kept a jack stand in the trunk along w/ my jack. They were in the "b" truck weight rating I was told and maybe they had the car standing a tad higher but I loved the improved sideways stability in turns and elimination of the tendency to follow ruts in the road that bias ply's have. I have driven cars with bias ply's and no PS and niether of my Hudson's have

P S and I know where you're coming from. Personally I never thought the step-down needed PS thanks to the large diameter steering wheels and the center point steering. If you were driving a lot bias plys don't get as many miles as radials, but sounds like that's a non issue for you.

I'm told by other local club memebers that Diamond or Diamondback tires makes a wide white radial with for that application. I'm heard lots of negetive things about Coker even thought their tires look nice.

The other tires I run on my stepdown were Yokohama 360 Steel belted radials with a whitewall. also rides great with no problems on the original Hudson riims. Although I don't know how you'd feel about running jap tires on your American car. LOL
  • I have a set of Almost New Wid White Wall Goodyear Bias Ply on my 54 Wasp. If I could sell them for a reasonable price I would be glad to part with them so that I could replace them with a set of Radials.

These tires have less than 5000 Miles on them.....If interested let me know..

I live in Washington State.

TOM
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    And I have a set of 5 Remington G78 x 15 bias wide whitewalls with under 5000 miles that I will sell for 100.00. I am replacing them with 7.10 B.F. Goodrich 3 7/8 wide whitewall bias ply tires to qualify for AACA competition with our 1949 Super 8 coupe. These tires are in Pittsburgh, PA

I also have a set of 4 mopar 7" wide police special 15" steel wheels for those who want best wheel for radials for 150.00.
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    My 49 C8 has P235/75R15 Coker Classic ww's all the way around. No rubbing issues,

haven't had the rears off but they look doable. Work fine for me,I've seen the internet

discussions on Coker-vs-Diamondback-vs-everybody else and all I can say is that I'm

happy with what I have and these are 7 years old. :)
  • rambos_ride
    Of course the bias-ply tires are closer to the original treads the Hudson came with. But this is really only important if you are showing your car and want it to be considered #1-#2 condition.

The one question maybe someone can answer is "What was the original width of the whitewall on the stock Hudson tires?" I ask this because it seems each tire maker has differing sizes and if you want close to original with either bias or radials this is an issue.

There is no way bias ply tires perform as well as radials - the radial technology is just so much better in overall performance and mileage (wear and gas)

I've got a vehicle with radials that have 72k and are 12 years old have and NEVER had a flat with them - lucky I guess - but good rubber and tread means less chance of getting a flat.

As far as the tire clearance on the rear - with new tread how often do you think you might have to change a tire?

Worse case (do you have 12v?) - carry a small electric air pump and if you have to and just let some air out of the tire to make it easier to remove.

Just some thoughts...

• Hello

I might be interested in the tires for $100. I have a '50 Pacemaker that I am customizing and a '53 Hornet that I am restoring. I just bought 2 Coker Radials for the '53 and don't have anything for the PM yet. This would really be a help. Wonder how much the shipping would be on them to Memphis? Let me know if you still want to sell, and we will figger out the shipping.

Billy
  • I'm running 225/70-15 radial tires on the Wasp. More than a matter of getting them on/off the car or rubbing, that is about the maximum the 5" rim will safely handle. I have 235/70 tires on the back of the '49. They went on without letting any air out, but they look "ballooned" on the rims. The tire is obviously too wide for the stock rim.

Mark
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    A minor consideration with wider tyres is the width of the spare tyre well in the 52-54 cars. I've just tried stuffing a 225 radial into the well but its not going to go. So for now its sitting on the floor like it did in the earlier cars.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    As was briefly mentioned by someone else in this thread, I too have heard good things about Diamondback radial tires (quality, price), so don't fail to check them out before making a decision. Here's an ad that appears in Hemmings: http://www.hemmings.com/images/pdfs/DiamondBackcover.pdf
  • harry54
    harry54 Senior Contributor
    The one thing that I would be careful of is splitting the stock rims. From what I have heard the radial tires because of the outward stress can sometimes cause the stock rims to come apart at the welds. The 225r's are more stress than 215's. Good luck.
  • The solution to that is to find a set of 1968 or earlier Mopar pickup wheels (15"x5-1/2") with the hole for the locating spike. Later 15" Mopars don't have this. The hole for the center hub is also the same size. Ford wheels will not work because of this.
  • hi my name is hudson dave i am going to send you a link i sell www tires i have used both 225 and 235-75 15 and the rear is tight with 235-75 i would say stay away from tires they are made in a third world country and most of them are years old when you buy them.as far as bias verses radial there is no comparison .

+hudson dave
  • I had 225,s on a 50 pacemaker coupe and a 51 super 6 25 years ago, I now have them on my Terp 8 coupe. I personally would not have a road car in todays traffic and speeds without radials.
  • Good point, Bob, I never even considered the spare tire well either!! Who'd have thought there'd be so much to consider just buying a set of tires !!

Thanks for that input.

silverone
  • I too, have wondered many a time just what the original width of the wide whitewall on a stock stepdown really was, Dan, and hopefully maybe someone on this forum can help us out. Anyone got an original tire out there??

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, every different manufacturer seems to offer a different width, so here we go again ---- maybe it'll boil down to whatever width pleases the owners eye, but I wonder if there are any show judges out there with the savy to spot an incorrect whitewall.

I'm sure beginning to appreciate how easy it is to buy tires for my two year old pickup after all this !!!

silverone
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    I had the originals on my 49 with 29K mi when I started to restore it. They were 7.10 x 15 Goodyear Super Cushions with 4 1/4 wide whitewalls, which are being reproduced and sold by Coker.

I put 215 R 75 x 15 blackwall radials on it which are the 7.10 counterparts and painted them with latex white house paint. Works for me and looks great.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/unclejoshshudsons.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2644
  • My low mileage 54 Hornet has the original factory Goodyear 760/15 spare that has never been on the ground. The whitewall width is 2&1/2 inch. Cliff Minard.
  • 48super6
    48super6 Senior Contributor
    Uncle Josh- how have the latex house paint white walls held up? What paint did you use- any special prep or primer?

I have seen other paint-on-whitewall products that reacted with the oils in the tire and they developed brown spots. Others have cracked and chiped. Any problems with yours?

From the picture, they look great.
  • rambos_ride
    hudson8 wrote:
    My low mileage 54 Hornet has the original factory Goodyear 760/15 spare that has never been on the ground. The whitewall width is 2&1/2 inch. Cliff Minard.

I looked at Kelleys Tire website that sells the Goodyears Super-Cushion replacements and it looks like the 7.10x15 is 4-1/4" WW and the 7.60x15 is 2-3/4 WW which would be pretty consistent with the responses on the forum for WW sizes from stock tires

Of course these are bias-ply replacements not radials - but sounds like the WW width differs depending on the size of tire used.

My 49 Brochure lists the 7.10x15 as the stock size with optional 7.60x15 (the 7.60x15 was standard for all 49 converts)

• hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Not a Hudson, but after driving Ramblers for years on bias ply tires - I switched to radials on a '69 440 wagon I had. I couldn't believe the difference in handling and ride. Wish I'd changed earlier. Did I ever have trouble with the steering or suspension - I put the radials on when the car had 110,000 miles on it (I bought it when it was 17 years old with 85,000 on it); when I junked it, because the body was gone, 3 years later I had 245,000 miles on it - and absolutely no problems with steering or front suspension other than the upper trunion going on the left side. Ramblers were famous for those letting go - radials OR bias ply. Now THAT'S a fun job to do on a Saturday afternoon!!!!!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Don't forget that although Hudson usd 7:60 15's on the stepdown as an option and standard on the conv. They supplied 5 1/2 " wide rims with them. The 7:10's came with 5" wide rims. The 7;60's don't look quite right on the 5" rims. Anyone have a set of 5 1/2's for sale? Maybe I should use the Mopar rims/? If the full wheel covers on the 54 will fit. Anyone ever tried to install the full wheel cover on the Dodge rim?
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    The latex holds up well unless you scrub the curb. Easy to repaint tho. Easiest way is to jack em up and turn em so you can hold the brush still. Did em all in about 20 min.

Tru value paint, no special prep, no discoloration all summer.

Got the tires at our used radial guy for about $45 each mounted and balanced.

Ride and handling is great but they're a little harsh in town with gas shocks. Going back to std shocks and put the gas on the Hornet which has bias tires.
This discussion has been closed.