Intersting Hudson Toy

dwardo99
dwardo99 Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I went to the big show at Carlisle PA yesterday and one of the toy vendors had this interesting toy Hudson. It is a wind-up toy and appeared to have a battery to light the red light. The light had been broken off and repaired badly but he still wanted well over $100 for it. I've never seen anything like it before. Has anyone else?

BTW, Carlisle is a fun way to spend the day but there there, but if it weren't for Ford and GM parts, muscle car stuff, new stuff, and cheap Chinese tools there wouldn't be much left to have a show with. We independent fans are pretty much on our own.

Comments

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    It doesn't look like the photo I attached is included in my post. What did I do wrong?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    did you post it on the Hudson Forum or on the classiccar photo gallery, then post the URL for it, here?

You can either post the URL for it (when folks click on the URL they go to the photo itself) or you can click GO ADVANCED and it gives my many more options with which you can actually post the photo iteself, here

Of course, you must first have posted the photo somewhere on the internet, and obtained its URL (right click when you have the cursor diriectly over the photo; then left-click PROPERTIES. Copy the URL (using your cut / paste feature) from the dialog box to the image box on the GO ADVANCED form. (That is the little yellow box just below 'size....color'.)

When copying the URL be sure you drag the cursor down, some URLs (in the properties dialog box) are so long that they take several lines, and you may only be copying the one or two lines that are visible.
  • yeah, Carlisle has pretty much sucked for the last 10 years.....

Unless you don't have any paint to watch dry, it really isn't worth the gas money to go there....

Hershey is a better, but the muscle car/chinese tool/ford-chevy stuff has really populated the show field there, as well.... but a lot of really cool stuff turns up at hershey, hudson or not... it is a fun place to go...
  • Dwardo, What you came across was a toy that was produced by Louis Marx back around 1950. Hudson had sold their own factory produced molds to Marx after the 48-49 stepdown introduction years and no longer required the showroom plastic promotional model.Marx turned the origional molds into two versions of wind up toys-both of which are very desirable and collectable today. The first was a fire chief's car. Molded in red plastic it had a siren and light attached to the roof around where the stepdown antenna should be. The second version was the police version molded in green plastic with a "gun" barrel coming out from the front passenger side windshield. Both wind up versions are popular with Hudson folk and toy collectors who I have heard call the police version the 'Dick Tracy' car. These aren't cheap. I have seen some go for $250.
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the info. I will try to figure out how to post the picture I took. Maybe the price was right, but I don't know how much the damage would knock off of it. There was another guy who had a mess of old cast iron toys. He had several clockwork replicas of Lindbergh's Ryan aircraft that said "Lindy" on them. He said they were worth $3500 each. Whew!
This discussion has been closed.