Fuel Injecting a 308 Hornet

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Greetings from Colorado!

Has anyone here on the group equipped a basically stock 308 with fuel injection? It seems that the Clifford intake could easily be fitted with an adaptor for TBI injection. Of course various sensors/electronic ignition/electronic brain/wiring issues would have to be installed. This is a gross over simplification, but food for thought...

I plan to travel extensively once the Hornet is done [several years down the road] and I love the thought of fuel injection and the benefits that it offers. I remember many trips through various elevations where an adjustment to timing & sometimes fuel mixture changes had to be made just to keep the vehicle driveable. With the newer vehicle, we sometimes take all this for granted...

What thoughts have you? My premise would be to keep it K.I.S.S as possible and cost effective [read LOW BUCK!]. Mooneyes F.I. starts about $3000...

George T.

Comments

• RG53Hornet
    RG53Hornet Senior Contributor
    The salvage yard should have a good supply of Ford 300 cu in 6cyl P/U trucks. The later ones were fuel injected, but I think they were port injected, not TBI. You would have to drill the manifold for the injectors, fabricate the throttle valve, install the various sensors. Buy a wrecked donor truck and grab everything related, then sell the rest to a salvage yard. Come to think of it all the inline 6cyl motors with fuel injection that I can think of right now were port injected (Ford 300, AMC/Jeep 4.0, Jaguar, and even the old Nissan 280ZX) might be a problem with the big difference in runner length with a throttle body injector stuck in the middle of that long manifold. If it would work the 305 Chevy had a 2 bbl TBI for years, and is close in displacement but it is a V8. It would be a fun project, but if you don’t like electronics and such I would stay away from it. A carb engine can be fixed on the side of the road with a few simple tools (probably with just a good leatherman tool!) Electronic fuel injection stays in tune longer, but it WILL get you a ride on a car hauler sooner or later. I had an ’85 Jag XJ6 with a Corvette Tuned Port Injected 350 in it for about a year, and even with me being an electronics technician, it still road on the flatbed twice.
  • yeah, I often thought that a 300 ford 6 with fuel injection would be a good starting point for such a project. Plentiful, cheap, reliable... you need to be creative, but I bet this would be a real good starting point. save all of the wiring, and other components, and work it all onto the 308!
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Contact John at:

http://www.customefis.com/index.html

He can set you up for around $1K with a TBI for almost anything, port injection is more.
  • Thanks for the responses folks! A lot of food for thought. I'll keep you all posted on my findings.

George T.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Chrysler has come out with a fuel injection for the AMC 6 cylinder motor. The reason I say this is that the old AMC sixes used a Carter 2 bbl. carb that has the EXACT same mounting flange as the Carter on the stock Hudson 2 bbl. manifold. I don't know what all wiring would need to be done, but I am sure that it would probably be one of the cheapest fuel injection routes- just my .02 cents worth.
  • Any idea of what make/model/year or any other details?

George T.
  • 464Saloon
    464Saloon Senior Contributor
    Might want to check into the Holley website. They have a couple of stand alone TBI setups you can put on just about any engine.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I would not recommend the Holley TBI systems. They have had a lot of problems in the past, especially if you do not use a closed loop system. I had one and sold it before I put it on a '79 Jeep J20 due to many of the comments from the other Jeep guys I know.
  • Gents,

I suggest building your own Hudson EFI system. Take a look at the following website, allow some time as it is not the best layout on the web.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Basically, the Megasquirt allows you to build your own computer module from scratch and use the sensors, wires, and control mechanisms you favor. For example, you could use a GM TBI system that will mount to the Hudson intake via an adapter/spacer you can buy or make. The GM TBI parts are ubiquitous and inexpensive, and the best part is they give driveability MUCH like a carb. Most people cannot tell the difference except for the fact they start well cold and hot. Light up the cylinders with the ultra precise Ford EDIS and pump the fuel with a generic fuel pump or one out of a salvage vehicle. The best part is you can even plumb in a PC connect to make real-time, rolling adjustments to your system via a laptop. Why drop 3K on a Holley system that may fit the bill when you can be the architect of your own system from a soldering start to tuning finish? Check out the site and look at some of the "success story" postings. I really want to do this to my Super Wasp.... Can you tell?

Good Luck..
  • There is a guy in Arizona, and I don't remember his name, who has a 46 or 47 pickup with a 308 with twin H intake and fuel injection with two TB's. He is usually at the Laughlin Economy Run
  • Greetings from Colorado!

Thanks for the Megasquirt lead. I just spent several hours reading the "success" stories at http://www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=63 . Seems like a genuinely "do-able" fuel injecton project. I really like the fact that you can see & change all of the FI control variables on the fly with a laptop. Much more than you could do with a modified "factory" system. A good read is at http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0403_mega/index1.html .

The prospect is not straight "bolt on", but heck, if you are custom building a vehicle anyway, what's another challenge?

Another step....

George T.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    George T. wrote:
    Greetings from Colorado!

Thanks for the Megasquirt lead. I just spent several hours reading the "success" stories at http://www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=63 . Seems like a genuinely "do-able" fuel injecton project. I really like the fact that you can see & change all of the FI control variables on the fly with a laptop. Much more than you could do with a modified "factory" system. A good read is at http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0403_mega/index1.html .

The prospect is not straight "bolt on", but heck, if you are custom building a vehicle anyway, what's another challenge?

Another step....

George T.

Looks like some pretty cool stuff and relatively affordable - so much so that it would behoove anyone putting this on their car to buy and carry spare parts because you won't be picking up replacements at Parts Plus for this one!

• I made it a hobby of mine figuring out what the best EFI systems are for vintage engines. Megasquirt is cool if you are forced to deal with an oddball configuration or have special needs but why do the work if it has already be done for you? The Ford big six injection is a nearly perfect fit and anybody handy in the fabrication department and good at reading wiring diagrams can bring it home w/a custom intake for well under $1K.
  • Greetings from Colorado!

Any documented "sucess" stories/photos using the Ford EFI on a Hudson 308 that would help to visualize the project?

George T.
This discussion has been closed.