'46 Super Six Rod

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
FYI

Attached pictures of a friends Hudson Project. He cut the floor out then put the body onto a Chevy S10 Frame & drivetrain. (I obtained the frame and the discarded parts for future use)......He is a tall person so elected not to chop the top and the seat is only about 3" off the floor...Notice how low it will set ..... He is butting the windshields together, installing tinted glass, frenched some lights, motorcycle 'pop out' gas cap, etc...... The pictures dont do it justice...

Comments

• bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Great looking car. I like the grill and no bumperette look. Red wheels, always a good choice. :) I can't wait to see it on the ground. Keep us updated! :)
  • Looks like it is being built tastefully, not like some of the frame swaps I've seen in the past. I like the grille but it makes the car look like a GM product or DeSoto. I would rather see a custom version of the Hudson grille. I love the stance! Understand about the no chop, I usually don't chop either but it would be sinister looking with 2-3 inches off the top! Great car!
  • Ol racer
    FYI

This guy restored a Buick Sdn previously so I think the grille is actually a Buick.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I was thinking the grille and the front of the car made it look a lot like a '41 Willys. Good choice, I think. Should be a great ride. Keep the photos coming.
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    RL Chilton wrote:
    I was thinking the grille and the front of the car made it look a lot like a '41 Willys. Good choice, I think. Should be a great ride. Keep the photos coming.

I was thinking Willys too :) Great looking car!
  • Ol racer
    FYI

Here are few more pictures of my friends Hudson Project while in process....
  • Ol racer
    FYI

Just like most of us, this guy has also figured out a method do the majority, if not all of the work on his '46 Project by himself......
  • I like the electric actuator for raising and lowering the hood. As much as I love the forward tilting hoods, Hudson didn't really give you a good place to grasp them to raise them. Pulling up on the beltline trim can result in fingernail scratches in the paint or risk off pulling the trim loose-though probably would never happen. But, I hope he did figure out a way to disengage the electric actuator from the outside in case of battery failure-especially if the battery is under the hood:eek:
  • Rarerodder wrote:
    I like the electric actuator for raising and lowering the hood. As much as I love the forward tilting hoods, Hudson didn't really give you a good place to grasp them to raise them. Pulling up on the beltline trim can result in fingernail scratches in the paint or risk off pulling the trim loose-though probably would never happen. But, I hope he did figure out a way to disengage the electric actuator from the outside in case of battery failure-especially if the battery is under the hood:eek:

The 46 looks great! Sorry for hijacking the thread but RARERODDER. What is that in your Avatar pic? Is that a 39 coupe?

Mike
  • Ol racer wrote:
    FYI

Here are few more pictures of my friends Hudson Project while in process....

Looks like we've got some channeling going on there...

Although I like the grill, my first thought was Willy's... nice looking rod no less!
  • truely proud of what one of my best buds has created. i questioned the build from the start but duke has proven that im narrow minded and truely ignorant. i havent seen this car in person in a year and am quite impressed. whats more impressive is his vision and dedication to complete this project. it should be on the road in 2010 and that just totally awesome! ty old racer for your post!
  • rod_n_hudson wrote:
    The 46 looks great! Sorry for hijacking the thread but RARERODDER. What is that in your Avatar pic? Is that a 39 coupe?

Mike

Hey Mike, not a 39, it's a 1942 Hudson Commodore Eight. I'm building it now.

Rick
  • Sharp lookin ride. I love a tastefully done Hudson rod
  • Thank you very much for this posting!!I

I'm in the (SLOWWWW) process of resto-modding my '46 sedan and had been looking for a local shop that would install a modern drive train, disc brakes and air suspension on the original chassis without having to leave them, both of my legs,one arm and my dear Wife for their work...so, I think you just gave me the best cost effective solution to my future chassis.

Will you please tell me what year S10 frame was used on your Friend's '46? any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Joel H.
This discussion has been closed.