stepdown fuel tanks

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Has anybody put a '51 fuel tank in a '54? I know there is some difference in the filler, but I don't know what it is or what to do about it. Thanks.

Comments

• [ QUOTE ]
    Has anybody put a '51 fuel tank in a '54? I know there is some difference in the filler, but I don't know what it is or what to do about it. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi:
    Yes, and the task is a bit different from what you might expect. The fuel filler tube in the 54 tank is smaller in diameter than the 51-53 filler tube. The 54 filler tube is at a different angle on the tank too. The angle change makes up for the change in filler door placement on the 54 fender. I did make the installation work by cutting off the filler tube from each tank ... then I spliced the 54 filler to the 51-53 tank using clamps and a 4 inch piece of gas filler tube used for over the road truck tanks. This allowed me to move the 54 filler tube to a position that would allow the installation of the tank and maintain the angular differences need to align the tube and filler door box. I made this change when I was driving my 54 Wasp Brougham as everyday transport. The crud in the tank was unacceptable so I used a clean tank from a parts car. This was also when dollars were more precious than my time. Today ... my recommendation ... it can be done, but try to get the 54 tank repaired first...You will appreciate the end product more and will not suffer the experience of raw gas smell if you over fill the tank....

Good Luck

Ken Cates
    Waco, Texas
    AKA Heart Of Texas
This discussion has been closed.