carburator clean-out

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway! I'm about to start up a Hudson that hasn't been run for quite awhile. I've removed the gas tank and had it professionally renewed, installed a new sending unit, etc., and am ready to fill the tank with stabilized fuel, so that the fuel won't go skunky if I don't burn up the whole tank in a short while. However, I'm wondering if the carb's are varnished up from evaporated fuel, and am thinking they should be rebuilt, but really don't want to do it if they'll work well enough as is, at least for now.
My question is this -- I've seen spray down the throat carb cleaner, but don't see much potential for this stuff to clean out the float bowl, jets, etc., so was wondering if a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank would be a good idea? Does this stuff disolve gum and varnish, or just carbon from injector tips? Maybe its not a good idea to send this stuff into an old engine? Is there something out there made specially to be added to the gas in the tank for this purpose?

Just wondering. confused.gif

silverone

Comments

• Let me suggest this: to eliminate the problem of 20 gallons of gasoline going bad, use a 1 gallon gas can and a length of gas line hooked up to the fuel pump and try to start the car this way. If it starts then you can use your carb cleaner or whatever to clean out the varnish. Then I would suggest closely inspecting your fuel lines for rust, holes, and what-have-you. The fuel lines on my car were just as bad (if not worse) as the tank so I had all of them replaced and you may want to consider doing the same. Depending on if and when your carburators were rebuilt this "new gas" will literally eat up the gaskets. If the rebuild was an older one then probably a rebuild is in order with new gasket material resistant to the "environmental-friendly" gasoline. Anyway, try the gas can trick and see what happens. Much luck.
This discussion has been closed.