Factory Trailer Hitch Bumper On 53 Hornet?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just got one of the Hornet coupes I bought from Idaho. It has a really slick rear bumper where the center of it has a built in trailer hitch. This is not some hack job. I guarantee it is either aftermarket or maybe a factory accessory? It is a fully engineered center bumper piece and chomed. It is actually molded in as part of the whole center piece of the bumper. Not cut or hacked away.

The center piece of the rear bumper is molded down like a small step (similar to that of a step bumper hitch on a truck) with a ball hitch. It is the nicest looking passenger car hitch I've ever seen...really!

I'll take some pictures of it this week end and post it.

Does anyone know anything about these trailer hitch bumpers?

I'm counting on you experts! Thx, Niels

Comments

• coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    sure would like to know if there are any center pieces around with hitch ball ? I do have a very light wt trl to tow a MC on that would be nice to use with my 51 Com 8 ?

big o, goldsboro nc
  • Niels,

Do post those pictures. My '54 had a trailer hitch on it when I got the car. Unfortunately mine was a butcher and burn job that destroyed my bumper mounts. I've found nos mounts to get everything back together but I still like the idea of a hitch.

It would be nice to see one done right. Mike.
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hey Niels,

Sorry I can't help you find the information you want but I am looking forward to seeing photos of the trailer hitch. Sounds really nice. How about a pic of the whole car too.

Chaz
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Looks like a standard 51-53 rear bumper with a ball mounted in the center. The "horse collar" is missing. That's so the hitch can be used. otherwise there wouldn't be any room for the trailer tongue.. Did you look under the bumper to see if there was any reinforcement? I bought a 51 Hornet with a hitch attached. After towing a trailer load of railroad ties home, I noticed that the draw bar seemed to "move a little" when I unhitched the trailer. I looked under the bumper and found that the draw bar was attrached with two 5/16th stove bolts!!

Dave w
  • It that what a standard center bumper for a Hornet looks like? This is my first one that actually had the center section in it to reference from. Not sure what a "horse collar" is. I didn't notice any additional support under the bumper. Niels
  • Dave's right, the Horse Collar is the one piece bumperette(?) that also has the license plate light. There should be a reinforcing bar under the bumper itself. Hope this helps.
  • For those who are looking for options for a Hudson Stepdown trailer hitch here are two methods of getting to the place you seek. I do know that equalizer hitches were marketed for Hudsons. these hitches interfaced to the rear end housing and created a solid capability to tow large loads with a Stepdown. the following links are to PDF files which will provide you with two ways of getting a Trailer hitch on you stepdown.

Please note, I accept NO liability for your actions in use of the pictures or data provided.

Have fun and be safe.

As always good luck.

http://members.aol.com/sanjuana/Trailerhitchhudson1

http://members.aol.com/sanjuana/Trailerhitchhudson2
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    nhp1127 wrote:
    It that what a standard center bumper for a Hornet looks like? This is my first one that actually had the center section in it to reference from. Not sure what a "horse collar" is. I didn't notice any additional support under the bumper. Niels

53Rear.jpg

• Dan- thanks for posting those pictures... now I know what the missing piece is... ! Niels
  • rambos_ride
    nhp1127 wrote:
    Dan- thanks for posting those pictures... now I know what the missing piece is... ! Niels

I scanned that pic out of "Hudson Automobiles: 1934-1957 Photo Archive" Byron D. Olsen - That is a nice looking rear end with all the parts together!

I have 2 different Hudson books and none of them show any side mirrors (my other post) on any cars :(
  • Here is snap shot of a Hudson ad for side mirrors. Its from the service merchandisers. It may give you an idea of what you need.
  • rambos_ride
    51hornetA wrote:
    Here is snap shot of a Hudson ad for side mirrors. Its from the service merchandisers. It may give you an idea of what you need.

Sweet - very cool - thanks for the picture!

I still need to grab a set of those CD's :o
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    I have an AMC tech bulletin talking about trailer hitches for Hudson Wasp and Hornet models - can email on request. Has a flyer from the Draw-Tite company with some good pictures.

Hudsonly,

Alex B

HETpax2728ab@netscape.net (Drop the HET)
This discussion has been closed.