48-53 Hudson Side View Mirror Reference Pictures Needed!

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
My 49 Commodore did not come with either side mirror - only the single interior mounted rear view mirror. It's a miracle the thing was never in an accident!

Pictured below is the hood ornament and in the foreground is the prototype camera housing design I am building for the left and right "mirrors" which will actually house IR Night Vision Color CCD Cameras.

What I am looking for is reference pictures from anyone owning a 48-53 stepdown that has stock or aftermarket - period correct - side view mirrors. The mirrors I'm looking for pictures of can be either door mounted or preferably fender mounted - but - not the kind that clip over the leading edge of the door.

It's just that most pictures of stepdowns I have or have run across don't show me a close detailed view of the side mirrors and neither do the dealer brochures that I have.

What I am attempting to do is get ideas as to how to style the lower mounting portion of the camera housing so that it is in keeping with the styling of the car and of the period.

Cam1.jpg

You can see in the picture I "borrowed" the triangle detail styling from the hood ornament and made similar looking features for the camera housing to help the appearance out.

Thanks for any help you folks can give me!

Comments

• I got a pair of new mirrors I bought from Paul Schuster at Doc's meet back earlier in the year. i don't have them on the car, and, I am at work as well, but when I get home later today, I will be glad to send you a picture. They are still in the boxes, just waiting until the car is nice enough to finally put them on.

I was told, and firmly believe, these are as close to factory correct as it gets.

I have seen them on several well restored hudsons.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    hudsonkid wrote:
    I got a pair of new mirrors I bought from Paul Schuster at Doc's meet back earlier in the year. i don't have them on the car, and, I am at work as well, but when I get home later today, I will be glad to send you a picture. They are still in the boxes, just waiting until the car is nice enough to finally put them on.

I was told, and firmly believe, these are as close to factory correct as it gets.

I have seen them on several well restored hudsons.

Excellent! - Any chance can you give me a rough set of dimensions on the base and height? OR - even a ruler set next to the mirror in the picture would give me an idea of size/reference.

I'm not necessarily trying to copy verbatim what the mounts look like - again just trying to get ideas for size of materials and styling.

Thanks hudsonkid!

This discussion has been closed.