Another Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Lets see how sharp you guys are again. We all know the original HUMVEE was developed by AM General. What was the connection with AMC and what was the connection with the remnents of the Hudson Motor Car Company also who was the original designer of the Hudson Invader Engine?

Comments

• In 1971, American Motors formed the AM General corporation as a wholly owned subsidiary separate from the Jeep Corporation which was based in South Bend, Indiana in the old Studebaker factory. It was specifically designated to work for the federal government on contracts for the postal service and the military.

I think the Humvee was originally put into the initial testing phase in 1981 or 1982. I owned a tow company in Reno at the time and had all the rental car fleets as accounts. I had to get a special security clearance to pick up broken down rental cars at a test track in the Nevada desert about 75 miles south/southeast of Reno.

There were quite few Hummers there at that time as well as prototype postal vehicles. I eventually got the USPS towing contract and was out at the test site a few times a month. I saw the Bradley vehicle being tested before production as well as a lot of other military hardware. Of course, that stuff is all old hat now.
  • RIGHT, Now has anyone ever heard of the Hudson special products division?
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    Also, as an adder to that- When Renault sold their shares to Chrysler, Chrysler decided that they did not want the AM General corporation. It was a stand alone company that worked on government contracts. The now California govenor decided that he had to have one of these monsters. Once it was decided that there was a market for the oversized Humvee, GM somehow weaseled in and bought AM General. That is why you see the H2 made by GM on a Chevrolet truck chassis.
This discussion has been closed.