What is that Hudson smell?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
When I got Jet home a few weeks ago, I noticed my garage had the same sweet smell I remember from my grandparents garage (12 to 15 years ago) that had their '47 Hudson parked in it. I figured it to be "old car smell", but I still bragged to my friends that my garage now smelled like "Hudson"

The other day, my sister and father were in my garage, and she mentioned about how good the gas smelled, and my father replied "That's not gas, that's "Hudson" - they all smell that way." He spent most of his youth driving Hudsons, so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

So... what is that Hudson smell?

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    If the steering wheel in my 49 is any indication... it's Lindburger cheese! LOl
  • I always thought it was the smell of "VICTORY"!

(due in part to their racing success.)

PaceRacer50
  • It's just the combination of materials used in the manufacture of any car. After a period of time, those elements combine to give you that unique smell. Volkswagons have a very unique "German" smell to them, as do Mercedes. It's the vinyl in their interiors that gives them "that" smell. Your Hudson is the same way, as are all cars.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    perhaps that "rats nest" insulation wadding that was in the frame rails from the factory. LOL
  • I originally thought Hudsonite, however my Jet has Hydromatic. Besides, I think the manual Jet's had dry clutches.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Wool and or Leather trim would be my guess - other than the tar like substance they used for body seal back then...
  • Critters and their droppings are another story.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Mine had lots of bullets and bullet casings inside (no bullet holes though ;) ) maybe it's the gun powder? :D
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jets have a particular smell certainly, and I believe it is from the seat padding and plastic upholstery and head lining.

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.