Stepdown Window Run Channel?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
No Hershey for me...so I could not bring along the window run channel I need for the Hudson. The channel in question is the one on the vertical post of the coupe doors that guides the front of the door glass). There are twenty zillion of them in the Restorations Specialties catalog, and I have it narrowed down to three of them that I THINK are correct.....Has someone else already gone through the trouble and tell me which one is correct for the run channel in the picture below?

Thanks

IMG_7964.jpg

Comments

• When I replaced it in my Hornet the part number was W5V its a non beaded channel. I have found the part numbers are pretty much the same at all glass shops.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Dennis,

The picture you posted is from your Conv.? The conv. and Hollywood appear to use a narrower glass run than the sedan.. Actually the glass doesn't run in it, the stainless frame does, and it is a very narrow "blade". I searched the usual sources for my 54 Hollywood and came up empty handed. I am going to recover my old ones with some black fabric. Something with a tight weave and man made, so it won't rot when wet. If you find something that works, please let us know. I bet there are a lot of conv. and Hollywood owners that would buy some. I have looked at other 40's and 50's cars (GM FOMOCO) and they all have very wide divider bars to accomodate the wide stainless frame. Maybe someone else on the board has been there and done that...I hope..

Dave W. Fl.
  • SuperDave
    Dennis,

I went to the shop and got my notes.. The Catalog you have .Restoration Specialties...on page 9, P/N 5-Y-1 is as close as I could get. The inside and outside widths are correct. The depth bothers me. We need 11/32" depth. The catalog one is 25/64". The added 1/8" ? I don't know if that would cause binding on the frame..?It can't be trimmed back due to the imbedded steel. What others did you see? It sure would be nice to solve this problem. I think Dave S. in Pa. has been there in the past, perhaps he has some widom to pass on? Grinnn..

Dave
  • The sedan uses two channels the one that goes up an around the door is Y630P96 this is a stainless steel beaded channel. A second channel is used for the quarter window channel this is W5V which is a non beaded channel that is indeed smaller than the sedan around the door channel. The quarter window channel on the conv, Hollywood and sedan are identical the part number my glass shop pulled out of the National system was W5V when I got it, it was identical to the old Hudson channel I pulled out of my car. I installed it on both sides and it worked like a charm.

In the Restoration catalogue its listed as 5V and comes in 72" lengths.
  • SuperDave
    I hate to question the book. But without going into a lot of detail..When it comes to glass runs... There is NOTHING the same between a sedan and a Convertible or Hollywood. They are absolutely different in every aspect. Sedan glass runs are fairly easy to find. Hollywood and convertibles are pretty much non existant. Kgap has the vent window rubber, and the other associated rubber parts.. I should also mentiuon that they have the rear quarter window seal that attaches to the outside trim. Now THAT is a project to replace!I had to take the back seat out to start and ended up with the quarter windows out as well. Phew.. !

Dave w. Fl.
  • Yes I agree the glass is different The width and depth of the front quarter window channel is not. I have used W5V in a 54 Hollywood a 52 Conv and a 51 Hornet sedan fits like a glove in all instances. I was lucky enough to find a glass shop where the guy running it was old enough to remember working on hudsons and I took the old stuff in and he matched it and gave me the part numbers. When I look through the different parts books the channel is always 5V somthing. In my shops case they use W5V Resto parts uses 5V.

And yes been there, done that having replaced all the flat glass, seals and weather stripping in my stuff and being stupid enough to volunteer to do it for my friends cars.
  • I guess I will wade into the fray...while I am not in possession of part numbers for those looking for same, I do have the same experience as 51 HornetA. Early in my Hudson restoration life I looked high and low for the channels that were used in Hudson Stepdown doors. After looking for some time I was told that JC Whitney had the...right stuff... in their catalog. I checked it out and using the sizing chart contained in the catalog I was able to purchase the correct beaded and unbeaded channel needed to redo all the doors in my 4 door sedan 54 Hornet. Being the fore thinking individual I am, I ordered enought to do three cars when I placed that first order, Sometime in 1971. Over the years other Hudsons have benefited from that over sized order. A Hollywood and a Convertible were part of the group. Here is the point... the Window frame in the Hollywood and Convertible is made with a shape in the front edge which is the same thickness as the "naked" glass in a sedan or coupe window. This edge fits into the channel at the rear of the wing window frame. Assuring the window goes up and down smoothly.

Again... not arguing with the experience of others. Verifing that the channel I use on 4 doors with "naked" glass and Hollywoods or Convertibles is the same stuff.

Good luck in the HUNT.
  • SuperDave
    Man You guys had me scratchin' my head!!. So I went back to the shop and did some comparison measurements on a 49 Super Six and the 54 Hollywood.

Here are the results. The Super Six divider bar inside width is .500" the 54 Hollywood is .400. The naked front door glass on the 49 was .244" I measured one of the rear glasses and it was closer to .250. (not positive which is the original glass-probably the rear one )The leading edge of the Hollywood frame is .150". Soooo. If a window run measuring .50 was put (stuffed?) into a .40 channel, it would then crimp down another .010" That would make it a loose but useable fit on the thin window frame of the Hollywood.. The original Hollywood glass run was a solid steel channel with rubber coating covered with fabric. The depth of both divider bars appeared to be the same. I didn't measure the 49. The Hollywood was .40" Also the divider bar overall thickness inside to outside is different. The 49 was .706" the Hollywood was .600.

The bottom line is ..The stepdown sedan divider bar window run WILL work if it is flexible enough to be forced into the channel. .010" is not very much and would probably be a good intereferance fit..no glue needed! The Restoration Specialties 5-V rigid pile lining rubber covered may work. Is it correct? I'll leave that up to the purists.

I think the 5-Y-1 is much closer to the original in construction and size.The only difference is the depth is 1/8 of an inch deeper than the divider bar.That probably would not be a factor due to the tolerances in the door/window assembly. So now there are two possible window runs to use!

Now that I have the attention of experienced Hollywood/convertible guys.....more questions.. What ,if anything was used on the rear of the door glass below the belt line? Also what about the rear quarter window below the belt line? Mine is plain steel with a coating of rust. Are the spring loaded rollers the only anti rattle device?

Hudsonly, Dave w. Fl.
This discussion has been closed.