Need a recipe

boothguy
boothguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I've got a 50 C6 I want to build as a driver, heads been off for years, motor stuck, 3spd. For donors I have a complete 50C8 w/Supermatic( wrecked and left in a field for decades but motor still turns), 308TH w/hydro was runnable( bought it off a street rodder) Most of a 54 hornet w/ OD engine needs rebuilt. My thought is to put the 54 OD trans on the good 308 if the crank is the same, keep the 50 rear which I assume is a 4.10 (54 has a 4.56) and try to convert my nice Commodore steering column to a two lever setup. Sound Feasible? Am I missing some ingredients? What would you build out of this collection? For those of you who are into the purist/rodder debate I do have a fresh 392 in the corner of the garage. Thanks

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Welll Maybe I'm a glutton for trouble, but I really love the eight cylinder engine. For a driver, a good one is much smoother than a 308. Less powerful ,but if power is what you are looking for, you have the solution LOL. I would pull the head and pan off that eight and see if it's in good shape. I'm sure you can get some advice of what to look for here on the board. All your transmissions should bolt up with no problems. Just move the radiator to the forward (eight cylinder) position. Water pumps are cheap and most of the other bolt on parts are the same as the six. Or sell the eight to someone that will appreciate it for what it is and use the money to keep the 308 in headgaskets.. Grinnn..

What ever you do... Have fun doin it..

Dave w.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    308 seems the logical and common way to go. I really don't know much about the 8's yet as I just bought my first.........anyway parts shouldn't be a problem for the 308 and most step down linkages should be interchangeable depending on your transmission type. If you put a 308 w/ hydro in there you'll have to put some brackets on the cross memeber for the hydro trans mounts. If you really want to know about hydro's Gus Souza is an excellent person to call. If you just go with a manual you should be able to do most all of it yourself and have a nice runner. As you probably know if you have a stick w/ OD you also need an OD driveshaft or trim the one you got.
  • You Have Everything You Need, Go For It, Cranks Are The Same, Bill Albright
  • boothguy
    boothguy Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the replies. i will have to have the driveshaft done, glad to hear the cranks are the same. I am now assuming that the conversion of my single lever column to two levers is no big deal correct?
This discussion has been closed.