Local (PA DUTCH Chapter) Hudson Meet in Carlisle Report

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Well, I guess this is it for the year.

I don't know of any other car shows for me, until probably Doc's meet in May. The turnout was okay, considering the weather that was prevalant the days before. I imagine that Hershey on friday and Saturday was not fun. Good job to all of those that showed hudsons and braved the elements!

Anyway, the yearly ritual at Carlisle was what I waited for until the end of the year. I skipped Hershey, due to lack of funds (new baby, wife not working for a while... you all can understand) I was really hoping that the weather was going to hold out, and was pleasantly surprised to see that, in fact, it did!

There was a fair amount of vendors there this year, I would say, 7 or 8, that had hudson parts, even with the ominous weather hanging overhead....

You know that it is going to be a great day when you got Schuster thereno more than 30 steps into the day, shaking your hand welcoming you there! Talk about one person that goes out of their way to make you feel welcome, Paul's great!

I was able to let Frank Dhulhy talk me into one fine example of a 50 Hood ornament, that is without a question the finest example I will ever have. It was rechromed, and is a no excuse piece. I had two others that were NOS, but were "shelf worn" that now will become available, the nice thing is that I ran into someone from the club that said they were looking for one, and I got their e-mail address, so, hopefully I can help out another Hudson member.

I also got a NOS driver's side 48-50 Commodore rocker wide stainless molding. i had one at home that ws decent, but wasn't 100%sure what it was, so I bought that from Frank as well. Anyway, we all know what side I got at home, so we still need the right side....

There always lots of chrome to choose from on Frank's tables, Dave Kostensak (SPelling... sorry Dave) was there as well, offering his goods to help everyone to keep them running, and I got a chance to run into Dr. Doug Wildrick the king of all clutches. I spent some time chatting with him, asking about this and that, and got three bottles of Hudsonite as well, which you should always keep a stock of, don't want to run out.

The best deal of the meet was a 51 long wheelbase hood that was only $65, that looking back now, we wish we would have bought, but I think it might have sold. I learned today, that 51 hoods are one year only... Which is kind of a neat fact (Thanks Doug...) and I also learned that front bumpers can be grouped into three year ranges, 48-50, 51-53, and 54. I did not know this, either. I guess the mounting holes moved around somewhat, for the guards and the horse collars...

There was a complete twin H set-up there, both matched carbs, linkage, air cleaners ,and manifold. It was real clean. These seem to be hard to find, for some reason, or they are gaining popularity. My advice is if you buy one, buy it complete, with good manifolds, and linkage. Carbs turn up, and aircleaners turn up. That one piece of linkage that gets bolted to the head, you better hope you can find it..... It is very difficult to find.

Of the cars, there were several fine examples of Hudsons being represented,

there was a 1932, owned by Souers, which was out of this world, a 1938 coupe which, I am not sure of who owned, but it looked like either a real older restoration, or was an original, it was just a great car! Also there was a 48-9 drivemaster car, that was bought new by the current owner's father, which was really a neat ride, A 52 Commodore 6 hardtop, (super rare...) a 51 Hornet "plus" with a 350 chevy motor that sounded "healthy", two 54 coupes, Cliff's 54 Hornet 4 door (which is always one of my favorites, something about 54 4 doors...) A 54 SW brougham, Paul's 50 (baby) convertible was there, a 48-9 4 door in maroon, which was real nie, and a 48-9 in silver and charcoal, which in my mind is just a superb restoration, not sure who's this is... And a 54 convertible, and last but not least, a 52 Hornet coupe, which was owned previously by Russ Earle, and is a real nice ride. I am trying to think If I missed anything, and i am sure I did, I apologize if I failed to mention your car.

All in all it was a good day, we stayed about 2 1/2 hours, walked around talked to everyone, had a good time, got a few parts.

I have been saying this for several years now, and I will say it again...

Next year, it would be nice to take hudsons up for the show, instead of driving up in a brand x....

Let's see if it happens!

Best!

Rick
This discussion has been closed.