Looking for Hudson!

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Well, as some of you may know, I've been looking for a stepdown convertible. I recently got a nice tip on a '51 hornet conv. for sale in PA. My wife and I went to look at it this weekend (we live in VA). $38,000-probably a solid #2 car. Mechanically very sound, but needed minor body work, new paint (eventually) and some interior work, but everything was there, everything worked and recently had $8000 put into it. I, of course was drooling. My wife, on the other hand, couldn't keep her eyes off the gentleman's car parked right next to the convertible (in the garage). That one happened to be a '53 Hornet SEDAN!! :eek: Go figure. A #1 car, for sure.

So, needless to say, we are now looking for a sedan. '51 or '52 Hornet, a #1 or high #2 car. :rolleyes: Any leads any of you can steer us towards would be greatly appreciated.

Also, in case any of you want to point out, there is one currently on Ebay that we are watching, although we'd like to have one that is in slightly better shape . . . re-done is fine and that one definitely needs new interior and we're not really fond of the paint scheme.

Thanks-

Mr. & Mrs. Russell Chilton

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You didn't mention if you were in the H-E-T (though I assume you are). If, however, you are not in the Club, you might wish to join, since the newsletter has ads for many Hudsons in each issue.
  • I thought I had to first own a car, hence, I have not joined but was definately going to after our (hopeful) purchase.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Owning a car is not a requirement to join HET. But many good cars change hands at more reasonable prices in the White Triangle New (club magazine) since some Hudson owners want to see their cars purchased by people they know will take care of them after all their hard work restoring. Furthuremore you'll get a lot of contacts for parts and whatnot in the classified section.
  • 464Saloon
    464Saloon Senior Contributor
    I just joined the club and I do not have a car. I came close to buying a 54 Hornet coupe off of this forum. Another guy beat me to it so I am still looking. Just received my first newsletter, and I was very impressed. Look forward to reading it on the airplane tomorrow.
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    You must have looked at Mike Haney's convertible. His '53 is also a nice car. The '53 has the Clifford header on it. I think that it sounds really nice.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Mr. Chilton, if you are intent upon acquiring a Hudson, now is the time to join the H-E-T. At $25 per year, the magazine alone is worth the price, but in your case (as someone seeking a Hudson) the true value is in connecting to the Hudson network of owners who can offer advice on what to look for / avoid in a Hudson, and who may even know of one which might be for sale (but is not yet advertised).

This Forum (and its companion, the Hudson chat) are excellent ways to interact with Hudson enthusiasts prior to your purchase, but remember that there may be only 100-200 people active in these various Hudson websites. On the other hand, the Club has 3500 members. You can run into these members (and look at their cars) at various local, regional and national Hudson events, as well as regional non-Hudson events (like this year's Macungie and Hershey antique car shows, at which there was a Hudson 'presence'), and you can find owners of Hudsons who live near you in the H-E-T Roster (which is sent to every member). But ya gotta belong to get the roster and to learn about the meets!

You can learn more at http://www.hudsonclub.org/
  • where's the Hudson "chat" ????
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The Chatroom is at http://www.classiccar.com/hudson_chats.htm . A link is posted at the main Hudson page ( http://www.hudsonclub.org/ ). One is more likely to find people there evenings (say, after 8 PM, EST) than during the day.
  • While I agree that the WTN is a great source of Hudson information and the opportunity to connect with like minded Hudsonites. It has been my recent experience that there are as many if not more first class Hudsons For Sale from non members. I do not know what has caused this phenomenon but, the folks I have successfully connected with category 1 and 2 cars, original and restored seem to be having more success in the non advertised private collections. So, while I am not one to turn down assistance or a good lead ... please make sure you are checking all the opportunities.

Good Luck in your Hunt... Your Hudson is already waiting...you just have to find where!
  • I believe we've found the one we want. I'll let you all know next week.

Thanks Ken. We're moving back to Texas! (we're from TX)--The end of the year . . . we'll have to hook up. We'll be in the SA area. I have been using many sources for our search. Non-Hudsonites may or may NOT know exactly what they have and while we would never intentionally pay way below "market value", a deal can still be made where both parties come away happy.

And yes, we went to look at Mike Haney's car. Didn't mention it intentionally before.

As to the paint job, you're right! If this car ends up being ours, I believe paint would be 2nd order of business.

Thanks everyone for the support and responses . . . and yes, we'll be joining the club very promptly-not to worry. Whether we get a car now or down the road, the benefits are just to great to pass up.

Russell Chilton
  • 464Saloon
    I would like to know some other places to look if anyone has any suggestions. I had my first near miss on this forum, I have joined the club, look on E-bay ( so does everyone) look at Hemmings ( again so does everyone) and look it the local automotive classifieds which almost never have anything. Any other suggestions.

Thanks,
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Precisely what are you looking for, and in what condition?

Some other ideas:

Type the year and model Hudson into your internet search engine (that will reveal any cars that might be for sale on various Internet old-car sites).

Consider joining (or at least showing up for a meeting of) your local Hudson chapter. Often you can discover Hudsons by word of mouth, which may not even be for sale yet. Example: someone may mention an older H-E-T member who is in the process of paring his collection but has not yet advertised, and he might possibly take a reasonable offer, as opposed to spending time and money advertising the car and entertaining an endless parade of tire-kickers. Also, make your desires known among the other local members, and you might just get a phone call with a hot tip.

Try other old car magazines such as Old Cars Weekly and Cars & Parts.

Post your own Hudson Forum thread, listing your specific wants.

Attend large antique car swap meets in your vicinity (this is a long shot) and sniff around the car corral and swap meet section. At the Hershey show and flea market, for example, the H-E-T maintains a booth, and often our bulletin board has hastily-posted notes about Hudsons for sale which have not yet been advertised elsewhere.
  • Mr Chilton, please send my conv photos back if now looking for a sedan, bill albright
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    464Saloon wrote:
    I would like to know some other places to look if anyone has any suggestions. I had my first near miss on this forum, I have joined the club, look on E-bay ( so does everyone) look at Hemmings ( again so does everyone) and look it the local automotive classifieds which almost never have anything. Any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Theres a couple of stepdowns for under 5k

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

Also try little off the wall publications like "Buy & Sell" ,

"Little Nickel" - or others that have low cost or free listings.

"Craigs List" is another obscure place to look for things

Estate Sales or local auction clearing houses like James Murphy?

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    464 Saloon, there's a 54 Hornet for sale on

http://www.wantaddigest.com
  • "probably a solid #2 car. Mechanically very sound, but needed minor body work, new paint (eventually) and some interior work, but everything was there, everything worked"

Not to sound picky! What you describe is a condition 3 to 4 car. It is quite common for a seller to over rate his car. The value guides that use this system make a significant jump in price from 3 to 2.

See the condition descriptions here:

http://www.firsttraderegistry.com/old_cars_price_guide.htm

Good Luck

Steve
  • I think it is also quite common for a buyer to overrate a car as well...

A lot of people don't know how to define a vehicle in terms of number grade.

Here's what my thoughts are on it...

A number one is, for all intents and purposes, an AACA senior car, that is not driven, at all, Repeat, NEVER DRIVEN (except on and off a trailer) and is completely and positively restored to correct and exact standards, as new (and for all intents and purposes, better) Keep in mind, there are not a lot of number ones out there.... A lot of people may think they got a number one, but in all honesty they are looking at their car with rainbow glasses.... (think, that 53 Hornet Hollywood in robin's egg blue and black.... you all know which one i am talking about...)

A number two is what most cars are at a car show, and a lot of AACA senior cars fall into this catergory as well. Figure, if it is driven and a senior, it is in this category, and also keep in mind, there are a lot of nice number two's and a lot of squeek by number twos... If you see cars that fall into this category, likely, they are real nice, and to the untrained, a lot of times, will be categorized as a number one. This is probably where sanity and insanity are separated.... it's a fine line, and honestly, these are the cars that can still be enjoyed, and driven, no so for a number one...

A number three is a functional vehicle that you would see at a car show as well, maybe needs an item or two plated, paint is not a high dollar job, or even an older resto. The car is nice, and the nicer they are, the more confusion can be created, calling this car a number two. A number three might very well have a lot of little things that need done, or just not be right on par with a number two. With reasonable investment, and time, it can be made into a number 2. These are the nice drivers out there, that get driven and enjoyed, alot, and also, can be a nice 4 with NOS or extra parts that go along with it. (for example, I would consider my car a low (borderline 3-4) number three with all of the parts NOS + replated chrome I got for it)

A number four is a car that should be running, and driveable, but might need some work to be road worthy. Paint, chrome, etc... are some of the items it needs to make it presentable, in terms of a number three. An older worn, and or amateur restoration would qualify a car to this status. The general condition of a number 4 is a great car to restore, that is all there, not rusty, and complete, and running. (the 54 hudson coupe I looked at is a picture perfect example of this, if anyone remembers that car...)

A five is a restorable project car that is not worth parting out, and is genuinely a worthy restoration project. it will likely have some areas that need addressed, perhaps floors, motor work, generally needs ll cosmetic work, some glass, maybe a replacement body panel or two, but the key word here is that it is at a stage where it is restorable, and not to a point where the potential owner would have to recreate most of the car. The 52 Hornet convertible, that was previously on eBay, was a good example....

a six is a parts car, or perhaps someone's dreams of insanity. I would think that there were a lot of convertible hudsons that restarted life right at this level. This is likely a car that has no structural (or little) left, it can yield much good mechanical or trim parts, and maybe a few body panels, but little else. This car will be well weathered, and unless it is rare, or valuable, probably no attempt to restore it should be made, unless you are prepared to live with and work on the car for a long time (and essentially work for free on it, but that's really what the old car hobby is all about) It is however refreshing to see someone rescue a car that is in the process of returning to nature, back into a resurrected classic, and these cars should receive special recognition for the owner's contribution, and time, and the labor of love they set forth. These cars will b ein line with man of the vehicles you find in the junkyard, but perhaps more complete, and slightly better shape.
  • With tongue firmly placed in cheek I will come down and do some Hudson divining for you. Works like this: I have two old Hudson antenna's that are bent into L shape I hold this lightly in my hands and clear my mind(very easy for me) and when the rods start swinging I know I am close to a Hudson. Folks call me the "Hudson Whisperer" for ten bucks extra I divine by rating. Takes me longer if you are looking for a 1 or a 2.

Works almost every time. Only failed a few times once when I found a 55 chevy but the man driving it was called Elmer Hudson so I wasn't far off. ;)
  • LOL! Thanks, but I got a pretty good radar myself. Mine works more for classics in general and isn't as fine tuned towards Hudsons alone, but I'm working on it!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Ahhh...HudsonKid is another fan of the 6 point rating description :cool:

Many price guides still use only a 5 point system - but I truly feel this is too limiting at the lower end of the scale.

• Too many people rate a parts car as a five, or even a four! Yes, it's possible to restore anything, given enough cubic money. I've seen cars that were restored around a gas cap and a data plate!
  • This is the most important thing to remember. i believe ther eis an exponential relationship to how much money it takes to move a car from one "numeric" grade to the next.

A lot of times, you need to consider the vehicle purchase price, and how much more needs to be put into the vehicle, to determine whether it is worth it.

The best thing to rely upon, is use a price guide as a loose reference point. Pay what you are comfortable with. If you are not sure as to what you think something is worth, do the research. Figure out how much each and every item you need to improve upon the vehicle, figure your time investment, and relate that to the pleasure and enjoyment you will get from the car.

very few people, if anyone, ever makes money on fixing up or restoring a car. Ultimately, it is a labor of love.

The individual needs to determine what a particular vehicle is worth to them, not what it is worth to a price guide.

But at the same time, you need to recognize when something is overpriced for what the market indicates.

Personally, I think "old cars price guide" is a bit "soft" on Hudson prices... It seems the price demands of nice stepdown coupes are a bit higher than the price guide dictates.... and convertibles.... well, lets just say that there are those out there that would be buying for the prices listed I bet. (if they were available...)
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Owning a Hudson to join HET - Hey, I've been a card carrying member for over 30 years and I havn't owned a Hudson for most of it. Bills and kids got in the way, and military people do NOT, despite the rumors, all make $100 grand a year and up.

I would like to own a Hudson - but being 68 and retired means I probably won't have another (I owned a couple back in the 70's). But I wouldn't trade all the great people I've met and friends I've made over the past 35 years for any Hudson. I hope some of the things I've tried to do for the club, ie, scanning tech data and manuals, etc, onto my computer to be available to members has in some small way repaid all the great times I've had with the HET club.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr
  • Thanks to both you guys for serving our country for so long. I was a Captain in the Marine Corp but only did one hitch for 4 1/2 years. Alex, if you are ever on vacation in LA, look me up and you can borrow one of my Hudsons anytime! Niels
  • No horn tooting here... But you will find that many of the folks who are regulars here at the HET BBS served in the US military. There are some like Alex, Dave and myself who retired, some spent one or two hitches.

While on active duty, a Hudson was my regular companion, a daily driver. My 54 Hudson Wasp had over 250,000 miles. During 1976 that car was driven 200 miles round trip from Abilene to San Angelo Texas each day. I taught school to other USAF aerial techniciansat Goodfellow AFB. My family lived in Abilene as this allowed my BEST FRIEND for life to live in her home town.

Hudson owners come from all walks of life ... in my case I was fortunate and have been a Hudson owner and driver continuously since 1963. Other than my stints in SEA I got to drive these great cars every day. Check it out the next time you are talking Hudson ... bet you will find a military experience with the owner.

Cheers from the HoT!
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    The Worldwide Gp is holding an auction in Raleigh on Dec 9,10 2005 at the State fairgrounds. Cars rep are from Mike Leith's collection. ThreeHudson's are included-48 Commadore sedan ,54 Hotrnet cvt and a 49 Com Cvt. All three look very nice in the photos.Brochure has a web site: WWW.THEWWG.COM. Might go myself ?

"O"
  • 464Saloon
    Jon,Rambo,Uncle Josh,

Thanks for the tips. My first choice would be a 54 Hornet coupe with a manual trans in fair condition. I am not in a position in time,room or knowledge of Hudsons to take on a fixer, but I don't want one restored either. Those get a little pricey and I would rather do it myself down the road when I can. There was one on this site back in June that looked pretty decent out of Minnesota for 6500.00 I just moved a little too slow being hesitant to buy a car off of just descriptions and photos and it sold to someone else. I am in the Hudson club now. Both the National and local California Inland Empire
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I noticed that the 48 was listed as the "Driving Miss Daisy" movie car. I'm sure Herb Bell will unhappy about that! I'm not sure if they are trying to misrepresent the car or just worded the caption poorly.
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    You got that rite, I saw Heb Bell's collection and especially the Miss Daisey car- have a picture of it with Mr Bell on my mantle. It was maroon last month ? Quite a collection and nice person too. Hopefully the seller is just being descriptive ?

Big "O"
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Herb is a fine Southern Gentelman. I agree...What a Collection !!! I have coveted his convertible for over 30 years. I took my Mac's picture with Miss Daisy. Mac is the owner of the 54 Hollywood I am fixorating. He has ithe picture over his computer.Herb sold us a few parts for our Hollywood restoration and some bits and pieces off a 49 parts car for my Super Six.A trip to Atlanta that I will never forget.
This discussion has been closed.