two tone paint

coverton
coverton Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 51 cmdr cpe. Need to figure the best way to break the paint job into two tone ie: Top one color and body another. Anyone have a good break point suggestion ? I have seen models with a chrome piece behind the rear window ?

Comments

• Normally, Hudson had the top as one color and the body another. Separating the body into two colors generates it's own set of problems. See the '52 Hornet sedan on EBay that has the dark lower color up to the body line but the chrome doesn't set at the line but a bit below. IMHO it just looks weird. Without the chome separation, the body line is a good place to separate the two colors.
  • My '53 Wasp had little chrome and stainless. A previous owner painted the main body (including the roof) the original maroon, then the area below the break line dark silver. The window frames were painted a very dark cherry red, which made for a slick three-tone job.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Go here and look at the 49 and 52 for two examples.

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/unclejoshshudsons.msnw
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I'm over 65 and remember Hudsons of the late fourties and early fifties. My Dad and some friends drove them when they were new. I also know that my memory is NOT as good as it was. Maybe just as good, but shorter? LOL. Anyway, I do not remember a 48-50 Hudson with a two tone paint job from the side or door body crease down. They were body color and top color divided at the belt line below the windows .No trim to divide it. Many sales brouchures certainly make the cars look like they are a different lower color from the door crease down. I think that was an airbrush artist interpretation. As an example,Many years ago I painted a four door a medium dark brown metallic . Sort of a "root beer" color. It looked like the lower section below the door crease was a lighter shade. The owner said he was glad I two toned the sides.I didn't,.It was an optical illusion. I do know that multi color paint jobs became very popular as the fifties unfolded. So lots of people had their cars "updated" by adding another color or shade.My fathers Buicks got the treatment as well. My best recollection was that the first factory two tone on the sides of the step down Hudsons appeared in 52 when the stainless trim was added to the body line. Now I'm sure someone has a different experience. My taste leans more towards the factory combinations. Its easy to end up with a "commercial" appearance if the contrast is too great. Like I said in the beginning. I'm relying on my memory which is unreliable at best. What looks good? What ever blows up your skirt.

I am restofixing a 54 Hollywood at the present time. We decided to go with Palm Beach green in place of the original dull pea soup green.(can't recall the official name ). The top was a dark met. green on the olive side. We also decided to change that to ivory. It looks great to me and the owner and looks like factory although the book does not list that option for 54 but does for 53. I penciled it in my book! Main thing is that you are happy with it.

Hudsonly, dave w.
  • My 50 Pacemaker is two tone white above the top-to-body line and black below, personally I don't like it. Looks like an old cop car! But originally it was a solid color "revue red" and the original sales order shows you could get two-tone paint for an extra charge, but the buyer choose the one color option. The "revue red" option costed the original buyer a whole $23.71! I'm thinking (when I want to repaint) about going with as close to the original color as possible. But I have no preference on color schemes, look around the net at different cars and see what you like.

Jay
  • Yeah, you got that pacemaker from Hemmings, right?

That thing was a steal.

I think revue red would be a great color for it.

Or one of the dark blues, or perhaps, Oriental green.. my favorite 50 color.

How was the car? What was wrong with it? (anything?)
  • hudsonkid, yes, its the one from Hemmings. Were you one of the guys considering buying it? The seller said he had some people calling (when I asked if he could lower the price!) about it and couldn't come down on the price. And since I had lost 3 previous cars to other buyers, I didn't want to wait around to see if he was lying about having other buyers! So I gave him his price.

All the glass is good, no chips or cracks, it has some surface scratches in the paint (could be buffed out), a small dent in the top and small amount of paint chipped with tiny surface rust, some small rust bubbling under the paint on the lower side of the car below the rocker trim pieces (no thru the metal though), the inside rockers look excellent (may have been replaced), interior has one stain above the passenger "a" post, dash is beautiful, though 2 screws up on the underside holding a stereo (at least he didn't screw them thru the front of the dash)! Clock works. Overall really nice car. You could drive it if it ran. I have to get it up on jackstands and get a closer look at the frame, but the entire underbody/frame is undercoated, and not a recent job by what I can tell.....we'll see what there is, but it doesn't look bad....gotta get a pick and start poking. Engine has 3 head bolts broken off, carburetor/air cleaner in the trunk, obviously doesn't run, dual 6/12 volt system with custom acid coated batteries! But the tires seem in good shape, though they are bias and have to go!

I haven't done anything yet except push it into the rv space along side my garage. I have 'til Monday on a tax deadline (and just got thru my 8/15 and 9/15 deadlines) and about 35 client returns yet to get out the door......just taking a small break now! But it pays the rent, staff, office supplies........hey! wait...where's my money!

Haven't decided on the color, don't think I have to paint it yet (the firewall seems to be the original red). I got a paint chip sheet on eBay but it says the revue red is not available! Bummer, but I do like the deeper colors as well.

By late next week I should be truck'in on it! I can't wait!

Jay
  • Jay, I hope you get it running in its current configuration. That is a nice coupe!
This discussion has been closed.