How Much Is This 1918 Limosine Worth?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just love this old Hudson.... typically I'm not into the real old, old cars but a car with a built in Urinal is too cool!

Can someone in the know give me what they think a car like this is worth? Nielshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-HUDSON-1918-HUDSON-TOURING-LIMOUSINE-RUNS-GREAT-UNIQUE_W0QQitemZ4582121199QQcategoryZ6472QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    It makes you realise how far car design advanced from 1918 to the early 30's when you look at that truly antique car!!
  • What's it worth? I'd guess only a few of these were made. It is a fantastic car. I think I'd throw down 20 thousand. There isn't currently much apparent interest in this era of autos. The value of such cars has not kept up with inflation over the past 30 years. I'm very interested but have too many cars in the barn as it is.

Have a good day

Steve
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Guys, that isn't a 1918!!! According to the serial number listed, 4J82005, that's a 1917 Touring Limo. 4J's were 1917 and the serial number for Touring Limo's started at 82000.

The problem comes with some serial number lists that show the Model H Super-Six being a 1917 model - according to Butler the Model H was designated a 1917 model. This then shoved each model following, J, M, O, etc one year ahead. So in one sense listing this car as a 1918 model is correct, but actually it is a 1917 model.

Either way it is still a rare beast and would make an excellent additon to somebody's collection.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • beilng a custom model, it was probably pulled off the assy line and sent to custom builder who finished it in 18 and that is when it was titled, my theory, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • Judging from the serial number, it was number five off the line in that series. People buy the cars from their youth, primarily. Anyone having first-hand experience with a 1917 Hudson as a new car would be about 108 years old now, minimum. Brass-era cars are primarily museum pieces these days, but this one apparently is a driver and would be a fun car to have, IMO.
  • That is one cool old ride.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    It makes you realise how far car design advanced from 1918 to the early 30's when you look at that truly antique car!!

I don't know that car design has made that many improvements in a 100 years - my 1990 Chev 4x4 has power windows and cruise but doesn't even have a urinal in it :D

Did those things have a holding tank or did it just spew all over the ground and on people following to close all over their windshield?

:eek:
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    I don't buy cars from my youth I would love to have a brass era car! I bet you could take that thing apart with 4 wrenches and 2 screwdrivers to restore it. I want to advance my own spark! I want an onboard mechanic to keep oil pumped into the engine when I'm driving! I wanna double clutch and muscle that steering wheel and have to lube the damn thing every 300 miles! I wanna pull up to a red light wearing a WW1 pilot's helmet and goggles and give some guy in a new mustang the "thumbs up" and then pull away at a blazing 45mph while my onboard mechanic uses the urinal to piss on the mustang as I pull away bleching smoke from my horseless carriage much to the dismay of other motorists!!!!! YES!! LOL
  • Bravo Aaron an apt description of a Hudson pilot. Having someone else do the pissing is a novel idea. Stops me from opening the door at 65 mph to accomplish the same result. Which as you all know is mighty hazardous. But has to be done to prove a point.
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Opening a door at 65 to take a leak!!!!!!! Egads, Mortimer - sounds downright dangerous. I just hung it out the window (passengers side). Still illegal - think the cop said something about indecent exposure!!!!!! Oh, well, we were young and foolish back then - which brings up the final question. Know why beer goes thru you so fast?? Answer - don't have to stop and change color.

Now I think we'd better change the subject afore this discussion gets out of hand. hehehehehe

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • There's no "holding tank" for the urinal, like an RV. It probably drains straight out the bottom, like the pissers do on train cars. Human pee, horse pee, it's all pee.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    There's no "holding tank" for the urinal, like an RV. It probably drains straight out the bottom, like the pissers do on train cars. Human pee, horse pee, it's all pee.

Then it's real purpose for todays driving would not be urinal but "Anti-Tailgater-Device" :D

• Amen, Dan. I moved here to Utah a year ago on November 1. I learned a quick lesson in Utah driving (no accident thankfully) that instead of the normal 10' for every 10 mph, in Utah the rule is 1' for every 10 mph. 8' between cars at 80mph can get really hairy quick. OK, maybe a little exaggeration but I'd be willing to be that it can't be over 12' at 80mph generally. :eek:
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    See another anti-tailgating device I have considered at least for cars of the 1950's is a big sharp chrome spike or two mounted on the rear bumper at about radiator level...might make em think twice. LOL
  • Howdy

Back in the early '60's when I was in the Army, I was assigned as a driver of an M37 Dodge truck. When in convoy, you stopped when THEY said that it was time to drain your bladder. So, we devised a funnel & hose very similar to the limo urinal, and stuck it down between the 2-4WD levers. Worked perfect, and in those tight convoys, it kept the guy behind ya awake! :D
  • i have often thought of adding a separate windshield washer to the back bumper and fillin the tank with cod liver oil. how would a guy clean out the hearter / defroster ducts of the car ? ? ? i'd bet the hornets and wasps would nest there too. (not a pun)
This discussion has been closed.