A Gorgeous 53 Hornet Conv't

harry54
harry54 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON

Comments

• Nice. I see there's also a '54 convertible sitting beside it.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm a bit dubious as to the 'only 150 were built' statement, as well as the 'only six in existence'. I have to think the number is more than six. Heck, there are at least 25 known 1937 (Hudson and Terraplane) convertibles still in existence so there have to be more than six 1953's!
  • lI llthlink llthe 150 number for 53s, might even be a little high. there are only about 12 listed in the roster. I have been traceing these for a long time, I own two of them the famous Walt Chapman car that he drove off his showroom floor and kept until his death in 1988, afterwhich I purchased it from his widow, and the Lou Backus 53 with stick OD and Twin H, LLI know of over 54 convs still in existence, there were 6 at the Reno Nationals but no 53 convs, just my two bits, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • Is that 53 for sale on the link?

anyway, it seems Hudson convertibles were at least saved, which is good, many of them were even saved from the boneyard (and still are being saved form the boneyard) I would venture to say, that 54 convertibles are the most common, if you could call a hudson convertble "common" followed by a random order of the rest. I don;t recall seeing a lot of 48-49 convertibles, as compared to 51 and 52's, and for some odd reason, there seems to be a few 50 pacemaker convertibles around. 53 might very well be the tough year for convertibles, I even think the production run of all hudsons was fairly low that year, as compared to the other years of stepdown production.

good stuff!
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    List that Bill A. started of surviving 1954 Hudson convertibles shows 57 surviving out of 244 made. 1999 HET convertible registry shows 8 1953 convertibles; 14 - 1952, (only 10 1952 convertibles listed in HET roster) 87 - 1951, 39 - 1950, 13 -1949. This is just a listing, with unknown accuracy, as many new ones show up and several cars do not show serial numbers, so could be listed several times, with change of owner.
  • Not that I would want to part with a left testicle in order to buy it, but I got an e-mail back which stated that the 53 is not forsale. Niels
  • dave s wrote:
    List that Bill A. started of surviving 1954 Hudson convertibles shows 57 surviving out of 244 made. 1999 HET convertible registry shows 8 1953 convertibles; 14 - 1952, (only 10 1952 convertibles listed in HET roster) 87 - 1951, 39 - 1950, 13 -1949. This is just a listing, with unknown accuracy, as many new ones show up and several cars do not show serial numbers, so could be listed several times, with change of owner.

hey, looks like my general observations are kinda close, maybe not as specific as the details above....

Why are the 49's so few? I guess they didn't make any in 48, did they?

Also, what are the possibilities?

49 super(?), commodore

50 pacemaker, commodore, super(?)

51 hornet, commodore

52 hornet, wasp, commodore(?)

53 hornet, super wasp(?)

54 hornet, super wasp'

is this right? or what are the possibilities?

curious...
  • dave s
    hudsonkid wrote:
    hey, looks like my general observations are kinda close, maybe not as specific as the details above....

Why are the 49's so few? I guess they didn't make any in 48, did they?

Also, what are the possibilities?

49 super(?), commodore

50 pacemaker, commodore, super(?)

51 hornet, commodore

52 hornet, wasp, commodore(?)

53 hornet, super wasp(?)

54 hornet, super wasp'

is this right? or what are the possibilities?

curious...

Hudson did make 1948 convertible. Super and Commodore 6 or 8, 1948 & 49 were either 6 or 8 Super or Commodore, and 1951 also had Super 6, 8 and Pacemaker.
  • dave s
    click on this link stepdown production numbers I posted production numbers compiled by Park Waldrop
  • Jon,

Where did you get the number 25 for 1937, I believe there are only 3 or 4 Terraplanes. I find it hard to believe there are 20+ convertible Hudsons. Did you count them up in the Roster book?
This discussion has been closed.