trim removal

mrsbojigger
mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Need to take of the large/thick lower trim piece that attaches to the rocker panel on my '51 Hudson Commodore. I do not want to damage this piece since is in such good shape. All fasteners are rusted into being part of the car. Any suggestions? No stick of dynamite please!

Chaz

Comments

• Chaz-

You'll probably get in some better answers, so wait a bit and see. But the "WD" in WD-40 stands for "water displacement". This is exactly the situation that is ideal for the product. My recommendation: Spray down your fasteners, wait 24 hours, do it again, wait another 24 hours, then gently see if the fasteners will come loose. I'm sure there are similar products that will achieve the same results and I've had great success with this in the past.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    After spraying several times with Blaster or WD-40 Use a plastic putty knife between the stainless and the retainer. The plastic putty knife

'sacrifices' itself to prevent damage to the stainless and retainer. You will need to tap the putty knife along the trim with a rubber mallet. Another alternative is use single blade "Red Devil" wood handle paint scraper. Place under stainless with wood against body blade beneath stainless and push down to release from retainer. Do this at each retainer. Take your time, don't rush it.
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Dave S,

Thanks ! The last recommendation worked. This car is a real rust bucket and everything is "welded" together by rust. I placed the scraper gently under the stainless and pryed it up and away from the rusted out brackets and they came off. I'll have to grind off all the brackets and screws.

Thanks again,

Chaz
This discussion has been closed.