Hudson Power Steering

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I putting my 50 C8 back together and would like to add power steering so my wife can drive the car with a bit less effort. I know the 54s had that option and imagine they are hard to find so I have two questions:

Anyone put a power steering unit on a Hudson?

How easy is it to find one of the 54 units, and is there any other units that will fit?

Thanks

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    You asked if someone had experience in making a P/S set up work? I just retro fitted a 54 Hornet. I got the parts from another HET member that had removed them from a 54 Hornet years ago. I paid $800.00 for the box of stuff. I got the cylinder/servo. servo bracket, pump, pump bracket, two rotten hoses,rusted out water pump pulley and a pitted crank pulley.No steerintg arm stops.The cylinder and servo valve had to be remanufactured by Lares Corp..(I think that was the name) The piston rod was rusted and frozen. They welded in a new one. I think that was about $250-260 $ ? then had new hoses made at a hydraulic shop..not cheap. The pump was Ok but needed a reservoir gasket. I made that. The steering stops were not included , so I welded up my own using a picture I took of a factory setup. Easy to do with the engine out. I wouldn't want to do it with the engine in place. The steering arm is reversed on the PS set up,so it is closer to the frame . but the non P/S one works equally well and has the same dimensions, you just need to build longer and more sturdy "stops". The engine crank pully is another tough one to find. Mine had a bad rust pit but I JB welded it and It seems to be just fine. The double water pump pully is also a requirement as well as a longer shaft water pump. My double pulley was rusted beyond repair. From there I went crazy because I added airconditioning. I used a modified Dodge Dakota 6 cyl water pump pulley and a STOCK water pump. The generator was swapped for an alternator. I had the entire car apart, so I had lots of room to experiment with brackets and mounts etc.

It's not a project for the faint of heart unless you have the parts car to rob from AND all the parts are there.Now there are some guys installing a power rack and pinion. It might be easier (?), but I wanted to stay as stock as I could. And all this stuff is for the 6 engine. I don't think much of the engine driven stuff will work for you. You might have to use the GM /Saginaw Rack and Pinion. It sure makes a Lady out of a heavy step down. My torn rotator cuffs can tell the difference!.

\Dave w. Fl

Good Luck.
  • Fatman fabrications makes a front frame stub and it is equipped with a power mustang type power rack and pinion and 11" rotors for disc brakes, it is a little pricy but it works really well.
  • I have a PS unit from a 54 Super Wasp Hollywood, that was working and fully functional when removed a few months ago. FOR SALE, $1500, if picked up in Memphis, Tn. Pls send private e-mail if interested.

John
  • SuperDave
    54 HSWH wrote:
    I have a PS unit from a 54 Super Wasp Hollywood, that was working and fully functional when removed a few months ago. FOR SALE, $1500, if picked up in Memphis, Tn. Pls send private e-mail if interested.

John

If all the parts are there including the steering arm and stops, that is a bargain! Dave W.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    It may be "what the traffic will bear", but its a stretch to call $1,500 a bargain, IMHO.
  • I agree with SuperDave. If everything is there, it's a good deal. These things are really quite rare and originally for 1954 only.
  • SuperDave
    It's one of those deals.. If you don't need one, that's a lot of money..But if you Do need one, as In the case of my Hudson buddy..His health prevented him from steering a Non P/S car. That means he can't drive his Hudson.. What is it worth now? One mans trash is another's treasure.
  • Fred
    Fred Expert Adviser
    I had a 54 power steering unit put into my 48 comm. 8 a few years ago. It works beautifully. I know the guy that installed it cut down the fluid resevoir so the hood wouldn't hit it. The rest of the job couldn't have been too bad as he didn't bitch about it nor did he charge me an arm and leg. But he's also the guy that made my splasher 8 into a full pressure 8 (40 psi) so maybe he's just good.

Fred
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Well $1,500 is a bit of a stretch for me for PS I did not pay much more than that for the car, I had not idea that it would be that much, but Fred I would like to know how your guy converted the 8 to full pressure?????
This discussion has been closed.