new here & ignition questions

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
This is my first post here. I post on other forums as well due to my other car interests. FYI, my screen name is due to the fact that my grandpa had an AMC/Jeep dealership in Joplin, MO until about 1983. My dad still has his old '54 Hudson Jet, and that's what I have some questions about.

I'll be going to visit my family this weekend, and he's having problems getting the Jet to run for more than about 5 seconds. It has unfortunately been sitting, unstarted for over a year. It had a NOS fuel pump put on about 15 years ago that didn't see much use. I know how to check for various fuel delivery issues, but I was wondering about the ignition system.

It has a 202 CI flathead six with 72,xxx actual miles. I've never worked with a breaker-point distributor before and was wondering if anyone had any tips. I do have manuals (not for Hudsons, though) that show how to set them up, but I'd like to know if anyone knew any specific settings for the ignition system (dwell, base timing, etc.).

I'd also like to know more about the 202 motor. Things like stock power ratings, CR, etc. I'd eventually like to replace it with a stroked and blown 308 if I can get it to fit without much modification.

Pretty much all the Jet needs is a floorpan patched and a paint job and it would be all set. Unfortunately, my dad has had too many other things occupying him to do much with it. You can see some pics of it at my Yahoo Photos page ( http://photos.yahoo.com/morpheus4269 ).

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Bryan

Comments

• Not sure about the ignition, thankfully my Jet is running. The advertised HP for a high compression, Twin-H 202 is 115HP. Peppy for a car that weighs less than 3000 lbs. From my understanding, the 202 was the straight 8 with 2 cylinders left off, although Hudson marketed it as a downsized Hornet motor.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    AMC, a couple of things to check.

1. Take the line to the carb off and make sure that pump is pumpin. Being NOS, it has a old diaphragm in it which may have gotten eaten up by this new gas.

2. Sittin around, the gas tank may have rust flakes which may have plugged the filter if it has one before the pump, or may have clogged the screen in the pump. (Fairly easy to clean). Then put a see-thru filter in the fuel line.

That should get you running. Then you should check the points and timing.

3. Make sure your points are set to .020

4. Set the flywheel to TDC

5. With the key on, and distributor cap off, set the rotation so the points just open (spark).

That should get you gas and timing close enough to start. Then advance the timing a notch at a time until it runs good and starts good.
  • Thanks, guys. Right now, the motor has its stock 1-bbl Carter carb on it. According to my dad, the head has a hairline crack that seals (for all intents and purposes) once it's warmed up. He does have a Twin-H finned aluminum head for it in his garage, though. It looks pretty cool.

About the gas, aren't these old flatties low-compression? Is it OK to run normal 87 octane unleaded in them, or is lead substitute needed to protect the valves?

It's neat finally learning about the old Hudson. It's what I first learned about cars (to a small extent) with and what I learned to drive a manual tranny in, believe it or not! I'm 28, btw. The Jet is a far cry from what REALLY edumacated me, my '86 Mustang SVO (2.3L four, turbocharged, intercooled, EFI). I HAD to, otherwise I'd be broke. I'm broke anyway, but at least less so. (:
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    The ignition specifications for a Jet can be found at this web site:

http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/huds50.html
  • Thanks for the link. Wish me luck this weekend!
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    You can run modern 87 octane lead free in the motor without any real complications.
  • Well, no luck. We're pretty sure the fuel pump's dead. I think instead of replacing it I'm going to look at a 6VPG electric pump. After pouring gas down the fuel line into the pump (to prime it), it still didn't do anything. Cranking the motor with the line unhooked produced NO GAS. The bit of fuel we poured in the carb did get burned at least--the motor sparked it and it coughed a few times.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Alex Burr says the Jet fuel pumps are the same as the stepdown. The 72-83 AMC Concord, 258 engine fuel pump should be readilly available at your parts store for about $15 and should work fine.
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    You can find the Jet web site at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~hetclub/jets.htm
  • Alex Burr says the Jet fuel pumps are the same as the stepdown. The 72-83 AMC Concord, 258 engine fuel pump should be readilly available at your parts store for about $15 and should work fine.

Really? I think I might actually be able to get a AMC 258 fuel pump from the parts store! Whoa!

Mars, thanks for the link.
  • Will the AMC fuel pump work in a 6 volt car?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    royer wrote:
    Will the AMC fuel pump work in a 6 volt car?

Sure it will, as long as the engine is running.. Grinnnn..

Sorry, couldn't resist.. It's a mechanical camshaft driven pump located on the right front of the block. Not electric.

Dave W :D
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    the Ford Pinto fuel pump bolts straight on to the Jet motor as well. You have to either block off the return line, or install a pipe back to the tank, which is a good idea to prevent vapour-locking.

Geoff.
  • SuperDave wrote:
    Sure it will, as long as the engine is running.. Grinnnn..

Sorry, couldn't resist.. It's a mechanical camshaft driven pump located on the right front of the block. Not electric.

Dave W :D

Sorry, I should have lifted the hood before shooting off a message. Too many years of driving GM's with the fuel pump in the tank. Many apologies!!!!
This discussion has been closed.