The 1930 Essex Coupe restoration thread

2»

Comments

• bones1931
    bones1931 Expert Adviser
    Saw your 1930 Essex Coupe on several forums. Would be interested in getting some pictures and measurements of the rear wire wheel hub. Have the wire wheels for my 30 Essex Roadster but only one front hub. Any help with this would be appreciated. Your car looks solid. Great restoration thread. Thanks Mike
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Will try and get some rear hub pics up tonight. Would love to hear more about
    your roadster too.
  • bones1931
    bones1931 Expert Adviser
    I first tried to find this car in 1968 but was looking in the wrong location only 5 kms away. Someone else located the car and bought it in 1969. I lost track of the car until 2006 when I happen to drive an older gentleman in my 31 Essex Sedan and he told me about his friend who owned a 30 Essex Roadster. He said he would check and see if it was ok for him to take me to see the car. The farmer who owned the Roadster was storing it in his barn for the last 35 years and it hadn't been registered for the road since 1981. It turned out to be the car I was looking for in 1968. I was able to purchase the car in April of 2010. I have the complete history of the car and a picture of the orginal owner with the car. (Having trouble posting pictures) Looking forward to viewing the rear hub pics. Thanks Mike
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Here's the pics I took tonight Mike. Let me know what your looking for
    in the way of measurements. My front wheels are one piece drop center rims
    and my rears are split ring Do you know if either of these wheels are original
    to the Essex? Or how to identify an Essex wire wheel?
    Cool story on the roadster. Glad you finally got the chance to own it!

004-12.jpg

005-10.jpg

003-12.jpg
  • bones1931
    bones1931 Expert Adviser
    The 30 Essex wire wheels I have are 19" 5 bolt pattern. I have one front hub and no rears. I am thinking that the rear should be 5 bolts as well. Are your front wheels 5 bolt or 6? The rims I have are not split ring. I cannot get my pictures to attach all I get is a written description on the message when I insert. What is the secret? I have pictures of the wire wheels I can post. Thanks Mike
  • bones1931
    bones1931 Expert Adviser
    edited April 2012
    Jeff thought I should start to source some parts for the Essex. Would be interested in finding out what suppliers you used for the pistons and other engine parts you used to redo your 30 Essex engine. Thanks Mike mwmcdonald@accesswave.ca First time I am able to post a picture in this section of my car with the wire wheels. Thanks for your help with your pictures of the hubs. Mike
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    For my 29 Essex motor I got NOS pistons,rings & gudgeon (wrist) pins from
    Lester Harris, 2763 East Valley Road, Minden, Nevada 89423, Great service & prices!!
  • rothcarmsncom
    rothcarmsncom Expert Adviser
    This was a very interesting post. If there are any new photos and progress , would love to see the current state and steps in between.

Chris
  • Any pics of the car today? 
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Nice looking ride.   Good work.  
  • bones1931
    bones1931 Expert Adviser
    Here is a picture of our 1930 Essex Roadster with the wire wheels installed on the 6 bolt wheels.
  • That's a very nice roadster bones1931, nice job! Below are a couple of photos of one that a friend here in Australia used to own, it's since gone to England 

• bones1931
    bones1931 Expert Adviser
    Here is a picture of the back of the our car compared to your friend's car. Thanks for the photos. Mike

• Hi Mike, I'm not able to view the picture
This discussion has been closed.