What is wrong with hot rodding an Essex

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 1928 rumbleseat coupe that has been in the family since 1966. It was bought from the original owner and me and my father restored it completely. Now after 40 years it is time to be re restored. The motor in typical Essex fashion threw a rod on # 6 and the engine is junk. We have decided to make a period correct 50's style hot rod with it. It is nice to work with an all steel body. It will have red wheels and coker whites, full fenders, a custom tube frame and is going to have a vintage 354 ci chrysler firepower hemi, complete with nostalgic finned valve covers and 3 stromberg carbs. It seems that some people would find this disgusting! why? Now this car can be driven at safe hiway speeds and would be something that you would never see at a car show. It would stand out from the rows of model As and 32 fords. What are your comments fellow Essex guys??

Comments

• There's nothing wrong with it! Sounds like a cool set-up to me! I don't have an Essex, but I'm going to run an LT1/4L60e (yeah, not period correct but what the h*ll, right?) in my '50 Pacemaker, great mileage, performance, and reliability! Started tearing my apart today! Post some pics when you get working on yours, I especially want to see that Hemi!

Jay
  • YES! Post some pics. There's nothing wrong with it. Got a '32 _ord myself. Been to a hot Rod/Street Rod show lately? Did you know there are more '32 _ords IN CALIFORNIA ALONE than Henry _ord ever put on the road? know how many Essex's I've seen in, let's say, the last year that were street rods? I can count 'em on one hand. And a hemi . . . way too cool. Restore 'em, Rod'em, enjoy 'em, drive 'em. It's what it's all about.

Russell
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    since you asked...the car has survived for 77 years in its original condition. it is a machine that can transport you back in time. it is only original once......there are plenty of cars that have been cut, why not recut one? ....since you asked. sincerely,tom i guess if you do chop this one up it makes the few remaining cars more valuable...just fewer time machines..
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Obviously a loaded question, as you obviously have your mind made up already. However, since you asked - you say the engine is junk, and your comment "in typical

Essex fashion" is also an extremely biased and incorrect statement. Have you even tried to find a replacement? You may be surprised what is around. If you rod it it's your business, but I make it my business not to assist such endeavours. And that is my prerogative. I like them kept original - they haven't been made for 77 years, but then I won't be around for too many more years.

Geoff.
  • What is wrong with hot rodding an Essex?

1. You are destroying a historic artifact

2. A restorable car should never be rodded

3. There is a very limited supply of Essex cars in good condition

4. Rods are a passing fad

5. The value of the 100 year old original or restored Essex in 2028 will far exceed the value of "just another rod."

6. Children at car shows will always wonder what was supposed to be under that hood.

And? ....... You asked the question!

I'm sure there are many other answers as well.

Have a good day

Steve
  • smcmanus wrote:
    What is wrong with hot rodding an Essex?

1. You are destroying a historic artifact

2. A restorable car should never be rodded

3. There is a very limited supply of Essex cars in good condition

4. Rods are a passing fad

5. The value of the 100 year old original or restored Essex in 2028 will far exceed the value of "just another rod."

6. Children at car shows will always wonder what was supposed to be under that hood.

And? ....... You asked the question!

I'm sure there are many other answers as well.

Have a good day

Steve

Hey Steve!

Our Stepdown is going to remain as near to 100% original as practicality allows-it will always stay that way as long as I am here. That said, I have to disagree with some of your statements above.

"1. You are destroying a historic artifact" is wrong. Destroying it is sending it to the crusher. Ask yourself, which is better: to have a drivable, unique, cool car out on the street for everyone to enjoy or to have a car that is undrivable in someone's garage for the next indeterminable time? Rodding is a very viable and very dependable car if done properly.

"2. A restorable car should never be rodded" Some people's definition of "restorable" is going to differ widely from one individual to the next. Some people's tastes differ, also. The same person who would get a kick out of driving an Essex or any other brand-x with a hopped up motor and better suspension would not necessarily enjoy a "stock" runner. It's what makes us unique--everyone's taste is different. If it weren't, we'd all be driving the exact same car.

"3. There is a very limited supply of Essex cars in good condition" I have to agree somewhat with this one. But keep in mind, that if you have an Essex, it just makes your car value go up, with the addition of another "Rod".

"4. Rods are a passing fad" This is just flat out wrong. Rodding has been going on since the twenties. That's four generations. The current street rod industry is a multi-billion-dollar industry and is showing no signs of slowing down. Proof positive is every 4-5-6 year old that is into cars continue to flock towards rods like magnets, thus insuring future interest.

"5. The value of the 100 year old original or restored Essex in 2028 will far exceed the value of "just another rod."" This one is absolutely right. I know my stepdown will continue to increase in value as time goes on, but I didn't buy it to make a profit. I bought it to enjoy it, drive it, work on it and let others enjoy it. It wouldn't matter to me if the value increased tenfold in 25 years . . . my son might have different views and decide to sell it, but that's my point. The almightly dollar doesn't necessarily have to have an impact, only if we choose it to.

"6. Children at car shows will always wonder what was supposed to be under that hood." Children don't know or CARE what is supposed to be under the hood. Cool has no concrete definition. It just IS! :cool:

In the end, it choice to rod is an individual one. Maybe the Essex in stock form won't match the individual's personality. But hey, put a hemi in it, chop the top, dress her up in some cool threads, make it a dependale, safe, cool ride, and the car becomes an extension of one's personality . . . one to call your own. Now you might have a love affair that lasts a lifetime.

Russell
  • Russ

I was merely answering his question "What is wrong with hot rodding an Essex(?)"

I'm sure we could argue for days over this question. I stand by my comments.

The best reason for not rodding it is:

"It was bought from the original owner and me and my father restored it completely."

Have a good day

Steve
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hello All,

Once again, we come to back to the reality of its his car, his money and his time, so................?
  • We all know that when someone buys a car that it is their right to do what they want with it. The various degrees of stink comes from when you are hot rodding a complete, old, historical original car when one can find a better candidate: a good solid, incomplete historical car.

I have a beautiful and original 48 Commodore 6 sedan with a mint original interior and beautiful original stainless and chrome. Not a dent or a speck of bondo on the body. Car was stored for 46 years by the 17 year old original owner who got it for his high school graduation in 1948. The only reason I got the car was because the owner died and left his greatest possesion to his nephew who was not a car guy. To Hot Rod a car like that would be a crime regardless of who owned it.....

It is the various degrees in between a basket case car to a perfect original that makes for the great debate...Niels
  • It's like I posted in another "rod vs. restore" post - there is a beautiful rod candidate in Kansas for relatively nothing! It's a sweet and straight '54 Hudson Special Brougham for $800!!! It needs interior floorboards - big deal!!! Again, it's your car, do what you want, BUT, a two-owner, 80 year-old car, I think deserves a restoration. Especially when the engine problem is easily fixed, either with a replacement engine or repair of the current problem. Use the resources of the people in HET!!! Geoff has been doing Essexes his whole life, and he even has an original Essex as a frequent driver! Don't give up and take the easy way out of rodding a nearly perfect original car with a know provenance to Day One!!! There are plenty of rod candidates out there to choose from!
  • hemiEssex:

The problem is most of these so-called hotroddable cars are rusted out junk. Now Patrick, I know the '54 sounds like a great car (one of the exceptions), but I don't like '53 and newer Hudsons personally. The fins are beginning to show on these. Alot of people here say you can't hot rod an original, but thats what they were doing in the '40s and '50s! And the cars weren't even that old then! And forget the rarity argument, there will always be people that are going to restore a car to original (so there will be '28's out there besides yours), even if yours is the last......call it evolution or natural extinction. And from what I've seen over the years, you almost never get back what you put into a restoration or even a hot rod! And nobody will put up the cash to keep yours from the "rodding." I don't know about the "resto crowd", but most hot rodders don't build their cars as an investment, they build them to drive and the pure fun of it.

This appears always to be a heated debate (and will never be answered as there is no right answer). All I can say is find a car you like (if its this one, great) and do whatever you want to it. Personally, I wouldn't drive an original 1928 drivetrain.......gotta have something that will rock the fenders and has parts you can get at the local Napa store! I like alot of the old car styling, which is what hot rodding old cars is all about. And sorry, I'm not a flathead fan! Yes, you can hot rod a flathead pretty well, but it will always have its limits and the parts problem.

But I like the body style of your '28 and definately the rumple seat (wish my old '38 had had one)! But don't be set back, there are plenty of rodding people to support you.

Jay
  • Let me give you a little more background. First, the car was completely restored to original, motor rebuilt etc. I am 40 years old now and spent a good part of my life researching, talking to people who had Essexes and even to an original Hudson dealer who sold them.I would describe myself as very knowledgeable about Essex cars. In 1928 Hudson sold a record number of Essexes. Why is there not many left? I'll tell you, the engines were not very good and they did not last as long as Fords, chevy and Dodges etc. My grandfather had one in 1927 and it threw #6 rod as well. These engines are notorious for not being very reliable. Hence they were the first ones to be scrapped. This is why there are not many left. Also they are all steel bodies and they were worth more to the scrap buyers. This being said, I think they are gorgeous little cars, made to look like a mini Hudson. Ever drive one? Hope 35 MPH is the fastest you want to drive, drive em harder and they do not stay together. Very difficult to drive from Northern BC where I live to any type of car show without trailering. (No Trailer Queens allowed in my house!) This is exactly what happened to our engine. I could find another but why have the same problems again. My father gave me the car as an early inheritance and he will not allow me to sell it. So here it sits, in a garage where no one can see or apprecitate it and for what, just to say it is original. There are lots of originals out there. I did not post this thread to start an argument, but i really am getting tired of resto guys bashing hot rods. Hot rodding is here to stay, there are whole generations of kids who have grown up with them. It is not a passing fad. And I really disagree with the value thing. My car was valued at $10,000 CND. Restored. I have seen street rod Essexes sell in excess of $50,000 US. I wanted to add my 2 cents worth as i really felt sorry for the bashing the guy with the Hudson (Jay I think?) who wanted to do his up custom. You would think he was hot rodding the last Hudson Pacemaker in existance. You guy honestly think he would rather have an $800 shell and endure years of work (which if he was not capable of doing he would have to pay someone to do) than do a nice clean resto rod on that cool 2 door of his? Why does a hot rodder have to start with a piece of crap car, patch it up and make a hot rod out of it and the resto guys can get a car in great shape, restore it and in most cases let it sit in a garage, take it out once a week for a 10 mile drive to Dairy Queen and then put it back in the garage to let it sit and not be devalued because it is an original restoration. I can guarantee you my Essex will be driven daily and more little kids (the future of the car scene) will see and apprecitate the ingenuity that I have put into my car. Anybody car resto a car with a manual and money to buy parts, but it takes a real car guy to engineer and build a car that nobody has built before. Anybody need a complete frame, drivetrain, wheels and whitewall tires for a 28 Essex? Spare tire carrier, headlights? Email me. Jay not to bash you at all man, but Small block chevy, they are like bellybuttons, everyones got one. My hemi I bought for 500.00 will cost about 3000.00 to rebuild and can have a chevy tranny adapted to it easily. Want fuel injection, its available too. Not too much more for a cool retro hemi (these motors were made from 1951 to 1958, they are even period correct) and it will be different. Don't want a hemi, try a nailhead Buick, Olds or Caddy engine. All can be updated to run like new. I like the idea of a 308 Hudson also. Just yanking your chain. Build what you like.

Cheers,

Steve Derby

Smithers BC

Canada
  • No offense taken Steve! lol I know everyone has a chevy and I don't know much about the mopars, I am just looking for a reliable late-model v8 set-up which is good on gas (I can get 24-26mpg w/ the LT1 and 3.07's in the rear, chevy's used the reverse water flow (among other things) which allowed higher hp without a loss in fuel efficiency) and decent performance. The crate 350 I bought for my full size rockcrawler gets a strong 8mpg, but I wasn't worried about gas mileage for that vehicle. An LT1 will run about $1500-2500 (I'm looking at a '95 vette set-up, little better hp rating then the F-Bodied ones) but if you have another suggestion obtaining similar results I'm all ears (I'm not a pure chevy guy). What mileage does the newer hemi's get and what does a low miler (less than 70k) run if you have heard? This will be what I drive to the office everyday and on long trips. Not worried about massive torque off the line, but wouldn't mind getting on it on a long strip of vacant highway!
  • hemiEssex wrote:
    My father gave me the car as an early inheritance and he will not allow me to sell it. So here it sits, in a garage where no one can see or apprecitate it and for what, just to say it is original.

Your father won't let you sell the car, but will let you chop it? Sounds like your father is pretty hip.

I'm a little bit younger than you, and also inherited (the hard way) my '53 Hornet 4-door from my father). I don't think he would have like to see me 'rodding it, since he put a lot of time and money into restoration. I don't have the skill for it anyway (wish I did!).

Nice to see anther BC boy on the board. I'm living in the U.S. temporarily, but my car is in storage back in Vancouver. My car and I are originally from near Sooke, on V.I.

One thing that no-one else has mentioned...

As you say, you're in a fairly remote area. One advantage to 'rodding is that you're going to have a lot less difficulty getting parts. If you went the resto route, any parts are going to be expensive to ship, and will take a long time to arrive. On the other hand, since you're 'rodding, most of your hard work is going to be up front. After that, parts should be easily available locally (or from Prince George).

dave
  • The old man always wanted to do it to the car when he had it but he was afraid that I would not like it. He always believed that the car should be a good driver and be used and wanted to put a new engine in it so he could travel at hiway speeds. I think your father would approve if you rodded it. Rodding does not necessarily mean that the car is chopped up ( bad name) a tastefully done retro style rod is every bit as beautiful and drivable as a radically chopped one. I want my Essex to look like an Essex. It will retain all the lights, sidelamps, fenders etc. and all the emblems. Not too many people that I ever run into know what an Essex is. I get more comments like " Is that a Ford?" Most guys that are getting into the hobby would not appreciate it as an original anyway. I will post pics soon of the before and during and after transformation.

Cheers

Steve Derby

Smithers BC

Canada
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The saying "My mind's made up, don't confuse me with the facts" still stands. Please don't generalise about the Essex being unreliable and underpowered. If properly rebuilt and maintained, an essex will outlast and outperform most of it's contemporaries. I drive my 1928 Essex every day, and it cruises happily a 50 m.p.h. I have not touched the motor for over 20 years ( almost 100,000 miles.) It uses around a quart of oil between changes. Okay, the odd Essex did have the odd bearing go out, but compare with other cars, they were up there with the best. I have had one bearing failure in half a million miles.

Geoff.
  • You must have a model with a high speed rear end. These are very rare and hard to find in Canada. Maybe NZ models are built differently than the US one. I have numerous books, publications etc. even the pictorial history of American Motors and they all state the same. Long stroke small bore engines that were produced by Hudson for Essex productions were very prone to bearing failures and this was a major factor in redesigning of this engine. No way could my Essex go 50 MPH all day without the pistons coming through the hood. If the transmission and rear end was geared different maybe. Wooden spoked wheels also do not like to turn that fast.
  • The $800 car is complete and is in very good shape; like I said, a perfect rod candidate. Rods generally have all-new interiors, drivetrains, and such that are not stock, so it's the perfect car to do whatever with, restore or rod. An 80-year-old car that's had two owners is extremely rare in itself. The car will never be original again. Your choice. Remember, you asked for people's opinions.
  • If it has already been restored once, it isn't ORIGINAL anymore.... Stock, maybe... Not original. Do what you want to with it. If it bothers someone that much, they can buy it from you, and put it back the way it is "supposed" to be. I met a guy in Indy a few years ago with a '34 or 35 HUDSON CONVERTIBLE that was hot rodded. He thought the Hudson club guys were a bunch of A-holes. The car he bought was looked at by various twenty year plus club members from Michigan and Illinois who deemed it too far gone o fix. After the car was done, these same guys gave him such a hard time he quit the club.They said if he was able to rod it, he should ave restored it.
  • This topic is like discussing religion or politics in the car hobby. All I can say is that it would be ignorant, tragic, stupid, etc, to modify / butcher a "special old car" like my Commodore or like that 1918 Hudson Limosine that was on e-bay. Determining what degree that makes it "special" is what makes for intelligence. Some die hard rodders out there could rationalize hot rodding a Hudson Italia or a Tucker Torpedo. They made a million Model A's - blow up a couple dozen and so what. I like hot rods as much as anyone else but common sense must apply.
  • This has been a very interesting thread that I have started. My understanding of the HET is that it is a club for Hudson enthusiants to talk to each other and ask advice about obtaining parts etc. I was hoping that by getting other peoples opions etc. that I would be able to perhaps sell some of the parts that I would not need for the Essex as I will be modifying it and in turn help out someone who made a decision to keep theirs stock and help out a fellow car guy. I did not realize that in order to obtain some help or comeradery with having the same type of car that you must be an originality fanatic. Wake up and smell the coffee, I am not talking about a Tucker Torpedo or a Hudson Italia, the intital cost of obtaining such a vehicle is cost prohibitive in the first place. And even a complete idiot would know that modifying such a car is stupid. The whole point of my thread is that if some people join clubs to gain knowledge and help others to restore vehicles and enjoy the style of the cars this is fantastic, but to sit and judge others about what should and should not be done to a car is very sad indeed. Do you guys not get out of your garages and see what is happening. Hot rods are even being judged at Pebble Beach Concours. It is not a passing fad or a movement, it is rooted in the whole collector car hobby. I will be heading to Las Vegas to the SEMA show next week, the largest and fasted growing aftermarket show dedicated to hot rods and custom cars. These cars are masterpieces, individual as the people who built them, I really do not feel that some of the comments have been warranted, especially by founding members. Thank you all for the space you have given me, but I thought this hobby was supposed to be fun, not political.

Steve Derby

Smithers BC

Canada
  • Okay, let's address several points here....

This message board, Classic Car, might very well have a strong following of Hudson club members, but in no way does it have affiliation with the hudson club, or at least i don't think there is any.

You came on this board asking for opinions, If you don't like what you heard, then yuo should have never asked. This seems to be a problem with a lot of people nowadays, they want opinions then when they hear something they don't like they start crying.

Quite honestly, I would like to see you come up with a compromise with your Essex. I hate the idea of seeing someone take a car that has the history that yours does, and pretty much lower the number of survivors because the car doesn't fit their ideals of what they want.

I like the idea of the early hemi, and I can see your point of view for wanting a car that can drive at highway speeds, etc... maybe you could look into using newer hudson driveline stuff, perhaps a 202 out of a jet? that would definitely be different, swap out the wood wheels, there are a lot of other routes you could explore than early hemi, but It seems to me that I guess the older they get, the less it concerns me as to what the owner does to improve upon general driveability.

Ultimately, it would be nice to see this thing restored, but 35 MPH, or even 50 MPH sucks. I would be looking at other options, but I think that drastic change is not the answer.

In response to the dude with the pacemaker, I feel different towards his car though. He's another person that has come on here, and aske dfor opinions, yet his mind was made up, and he doesn't like what anyone is telling him, either.

Since his car can be made reliable and very driveable, and kept fairly stock, I don't understand him at all. He could put in a 3.07 rear (or whatever the ratio was in 54), he could rebuild a reliable 308, and he can get most all of the parts he's gonna ever need to fix that 308 over the counter at NAPA. seriously, no one is going to fix a rod bearing on the side of the road regardless if it's a 308 or a 350. I would reason that the same parts to fix either engine are available from NAPA, and anything else that breaks is going to need a tow, whatever engine is in it.

I personally think that a 350 is an easy way out, as well as not restoring a car that should very well be restored. It is easier to do a rod, than it is to completely restore a car back to stock. argue this all you want, but finding original parts is way harder to find than it is to find than ordering a Mustang II front end out of a catalog.

Hopefully thru a lot of this debate, you can find a happy medium with your car. In your case, I can understand what you are trying to get to. I hope you don't butcher this thing up, and really consider preserving it for the future.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • The rarity or value of a vehicle should not be what drives the desire to build a rod out of an otherwise original (or restored to original once before) car. The fact that it is what it is. So what if the car was common in its' day (Pacemaker) or one of just a handful left in that condition (your Essex). So what if people aren't knocking down your door to save it from the "eeeevil street rodder". Your car is what it is - a time capsule of sorts that can never, ever be made back to like it was originally, once rodded. So what if it's not worth a Brinks truck full of cash, either rodded or restored. So what if they put Caddy V-8's in '30s cars in the '50s.

I really love restored cars of all types, and I love well-executed street rods, as well. Personally, I don't care if you wanted to do your Essex, or a '47 Chevy Fleetline, or a '42 Dodge M-37 4x4 truck, or whatever. Consider the platform you're starting with. Consider what you're doing to the car. Then consider what is the right thing to do with that car.

By the way, our local HET chapter has several street rod Hudsons, including a 300 Ford in a '46 Hudson PU, another '46 Hudson truck body on a '65 Chevy truck frame, with the cab extended 21"; a lead-sled '51 Commodore that's shaved, smoothed and frenched; a 289 Ford-powered '46 Super Six 4-door, and a Buick V-6 powered '46 Super Six coupe, soon to have a Grand National turbo package added. All are very nice vehicles, and more than welcome at all Hudson meets and others, too. Before a tornado wiped out my collection, I was getting ready to put a 383 Chrysler engine in my '50 Pacemaker coupe, but it got crushed in the storm. This car was complete, and had not seen it's original drivetrain in over ten years. So, to paint all HET members as street-rod-hating resto freaks is disingenuous on your part.

Remember, you asked the question. Be careful what you ask for. If you can't handle the answers, don't ask the question. :eek:
  • Point well made. I am not getting upset in the least about the comments, I asked for them and you are right I do not necessarily agree but they are opions and everyone is entitled to them and I did ask. My point is that I would still disagree that rodding is the easy way out, not every rod has a mustang front end and a 350. I am trying to build a period correct hot rod. It takes as much research to build it period correct as it does to restore it. Mustang front ends and 350s were not available in the early 50's, hemis, wishbone front ends and straight axles were. As well bodies were repaired with lead and paint was not easter egg colors with basecoat clear or even metallic. I think I would be making it into just as good of a time capsule as if I were to leave it in original restored condition? Do I make any sense?
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    What if we run out of '28's because all owners thought

"Well I'm just making your car more valuable" Yes true rodders put more

stock parts onto the market but not more original cars.

As far as reliability I don't think that argument hold's up

a good mechanic who knows what he is doing and maintains

the car properly should be able to make any car reliable

You can't compare old cars to new one's that's apples and oranges

If you want a car to drive as well as your new 2005 then go

out and buy a new 2005 car. To me part of the fun of it

is to experience driving the way people experienced it when

the car was new...a timemachine to a differnt age and a

slightly more relaxed

pace of life. The old cars to me are cars to be seen and

seen driving in rather than raced in.

If you live near a major city like I do who cares if you can go

fast because you won't get to except maybe on a Sunday at 4AM when

all the cops have gone home.

I'd drive a 1928 Anywhere Anytime for as long as she holds up!

and when she dies on the side of the road I'd pull out my cell

phone, my AAA card, get it towed home and go to work on it again.

Even if I have to wait for parts in the mail because I have a daily

driver.

Many parts can be had at NAPA.... Tresure hunting for parts at

swap meets is half the fun of the hobby I thought.

YES cars are NOT an investment unless you find an underpriced

Dusenbuerg. Money is absolutely the WRONG REASON TO BE INTO CARS

RODDED OR NOT!

NO the rod vs original argument will never be resolved it's just

philosophical differnces which we can debate in a healthy way.

YES it's your car do what you want. Gear heads are allowed differences

of opinion without being enemies.

It was the 2nd generation super 6 engines that were the bad engines in the

1920's according to Bulter

Why shouldn't you change the clip or redo-the chassis and drivetrain?

Because you are now a test-pilot because you are configuring the car in ways

engineers of the period never intended. Maybe they would've made the

car the way you are planning to if they have the technology. Maybe they didn't

configure the car that way for a good reason. Probably you can modify it

and nothing bad will happen and the balance of the weight distribution will not be

adverse....but it's experimental isn't it ? In

airplanes such things are very critical.

Of course we don't all want to drive identical cars but if you restore

one you are also "not like everyone else".

You asked for opinion, if you want pros and cons from a technical

standpoint ask for that.
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Steve,

Maybe I stand in the minority of the opinions expressed, but its still your car, your money and your time to do with as you wish. Have you thought about selling the car to a purist and moving on to something more suitable to your plans?
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Gee whiz Hemiessex, maybe I should have posted the letter I sent you by e-mail. Look,

we will probably be dead in 50 years (depending on our age) and these old cars that everybody is worshiping will be just piles of rust slowly melting into the ground or made into some other form such as a refrigerator. Have fun. As for as the Hemi in an Essex, why not ask a "hemi guy" who has experienced installing one in a similar frame or find some street rod guys in your area. I've been thinking of purchasing a new 2005 T-bird and adding 56 T-bird headlight bezels and tail lights. I just can't leave anything mechanical alone. What happens in the future to this car when someone buys it from a used car lot? Again, have fun. Do what you want.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Worshipping Cars ?! Geeze that's productive let's just abandon all organizations and hobbies because a few people within them don't see things our way. OK how bout a new a rule? Since we can't debate such topics as rational, educated, intelligent discussion without resorting to pettiness lets have the moderator of this forum delete all similar threads from future discussion. Like the earlier post said this seems to be in the catagory of "religion and politics". Agree to disagree.
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hey Aaron, have a heart and some mercy. Steve just wanted to get some information about installing a different engine in his pride and joy. He didn't need to be beat up with opinions. Probably he just needed to word his question differently. I would sure hate to lose Steve as a contributer over something like this. Also, I TOTALLY respect you guys that restore cars to their original form. It takes a unique talent to get them back to their original state.

P.S. The new issue of Rod and Custom magazine has an article about hot rod customs at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance event.
This discussion has been closed.