Now the work starts

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I went for a 14 hour ( one way) drive this weekend and ended up bringing home a 49 commodore 6 club coupe at least as near as I can tell that's what it is. I have been looking for one for a while now and this is it. Now the work starts. You can see the car under my name in the gallery page 12 titled "new toy". The car is probably going to end up as a streed rod or something like that. I sure like the lines of it. What do you think?

Comments

• I wish I new how to post a pic on here. Or even post a link..have no clue how that is done.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Jimalberta wrote:
    I wish I new how to post a pic on here. Or even post a link..have no clue how that is done.

If you reply or post a message you can go to the advanced screen and near the bottom is a button that reads "Manage Attachments" - click on that and you should be able to attach images.

ClassicCars.com also has a gallery section that should let you upload pictures to.

Otherwise your images must be hosted on a computer that is exposed and configured to be live to the internet.

Hope that helps - if you want a picture up quick - email me one or two and I can post them for you.

dan@ypfs.com

• rambos_ride
    Here's a pic I put on my server for Jim

jimalberta1.jpg

here is the link to Jim's other MSN images...

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/54hudsons.msnw
  • Dan thank you very much, some day I gotta learn to do that...Jim
  • rambos_ride
    Jimalberta wrote:
    Dan thank you very much, some day I gotta learn to do that...Jim

No Problem! Glad to help out - do you still have the 54?

most folks make the mistake of logging into their MSN account then managing the pictures - when they cut and paste the link it starts with https: meaning a secure connection and the picture links won't work.

At a minimum if you post more pictures out on MSN you can use this link to get to them from the forum...

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/54hudsons.msnw

Keep us informed on your plans, findings and progress!

• No.... not another street rod....

fix it up, put in a 308 and twin h!
  • Jim, that "after??" is sweet! Thats sort of the look I'm going for, except for maybe a different color with the flames more subtle. I'm jealous cause I think you have a longer front end than my Pacemaker does. But I'm happy to have one nonetheless. Good luck with yours and post more pics as you go along.

Jay
  • Yes Dan, I have the 54. She's a sweet car herself but the drive train which is original is getting tired at 100,000 mile. Runs good but smokes a bit when cold and not a lot of power . I also have a 54 hornet with a 308 twin h automatic that may turn into a donor car. My dilemma is whether or not to put the 308 into the wasp and a brand x v-8 into the coupe. I dunno. I don't even know what size engine is in the commodore . It turns over by hand tho. Suggestions are welcome.
  • your commodore should have a 262, this would be the earlier block, but would easily accept a twin h manifold.

Also, keep in mind, that engine rebuilding for these is getting more straightforward. You can get a complete rebuild kit for a stepdown for like $1400 from Cooper!

I would find a way to get that thing back into hudson power, whether it is a 308 or the original 262. I got a 50 with twin h on it, and the narrow block 262 (which would be the same as yours) runs pretty decent, although I think I am going to do a 308 sooner or later...
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Looks like a Super. No outer bumper guards, small (super)hood ornament. Can't see the rockers to tell if the stainless is wide or narrow. No radio.. I bet the Vin number starts out 491.. It does have fender ornaments. An option probably added after delivery. Now the FUN begins.

Dave W in Fl
  • Another Hudson being brought back to life, rod or original, congrats! Niels
  • I agree, it doesn't matter the style. Bringing back any Hudson from the boneyard is a plus in my book. Congratulations and enjoy!!
  • Superdave the trim on the bottom of the car is about 5 or 6 inches wide. I thought it was a commodore from the spears on the fenders. So far I haven't found the vin. Its not on the inside of the drivers door and not on the firewall. Interestingly, the air cleaner is like the ones you see on the twin H setups. Horizontal paper element type. The twin h on my 54 hornet has the oil bath ones.
  • VIN should be on the door jam of the passenger door... Niels
  • Finally had a chance today to craw under and thoroughly poke around the car to see what condition its in: the frame and underneath of the car are in excellent shape no rot at all, the undercoating is all still in place, a little bit of rust on the rear fenders at bottom so they will have to be repaired. The trunk pan has rusted out on the passenger side so need repairs there. Inside I was surprised to see the floor pans in very good condition. The worst part of the car I think is the dash, the guages are all toast and will need to be replaced. The wiring is in very good condition but I might update it anyways as I will probably go to 12 volts. The insides of the doors and fenders are dry and no rot. The engine compartment is fully intact , it looks like I could put a battery in and start it, the only thing wrong there is a broken cable for the wiper assy. I will need a complete interior and some flat glass but all in all I am pleased with the condition of the car. Not a driver but something I can work with.
  • Well as expected as I get the car further apart I'm finding some rust. Worst part is the drivers side rear frame rail needs to be replaced. I really could use the advice from some one who has done this before. I can't believe the tons of dirt I'm finding in the nooks and crannies. In some places its inches thick. No wonder these cars rust. I'm sure glad I invested in a carbide bit for my die grinder, its becoming very useful.
  • rambos_ride
    Jimalberta wrote:
    Well as expected as I get the car further apart I'm finding some rust. Worst part is the drivers side rear frame rail needs to be replaced. I really could use the advice from some one who has done this before. I can't believe the tons of dirt I'm finding in the nooks and crannies. In some places its inches thick. No wonder these cars rust. I'm sure glad I invested in a carbide bit for my die grinder, its becoming very useful.

Hi Jim

I had a couple of different posts on the Hudson forum lamenting my rear frame rail patches.

If you search this forum for "frame rail" you'll find the threads with pictures of what mine looked like before patching.

There are several detailed pictures of the frame patches on 49c8.com -> Picture Galleries -> Restoration -> Chassis

If the rot is bad enough you may want to consider getting a good piece from a donor car (I wish I had...) or get some 16 gauge sheet metal and have at it. Maybe someday someone will make some replacement corners at least.
  • Jimalberta wrote:
    Well as expected as I get the car further apart I'm finding some rust. Worst part is the drivers side rear frame rail needs to be replaced. I really could use the advice from some one who has done this before. I can't believe the tons of dirt I'm finding in the nooks and crannies. In some places its inches thick. No wonder these cars rust. I'm sure glad I invested in a carbide bit for my die grinder, its becoming very useful.
    From my Stepdown page....http://members.aol.com/rcsacimt/Re
    A how to on frame and other sheetmetal repairs..

Cheers
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for responding to Jim with the frame repair web address on your stepdown page. I am about to be doing this on my "rust bucket" and this will help me also.

Thanks again,

Chaz
  • rockin tom
    rockin tom Senior Contributor
    @ jimalberta YES! Let's go! Fine looking car, just like mine. Much work to do but everytime you look at it you can see the beauty on it... Great car! :cool:
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Nice aquisition Jim......Don't care for the flames on your concept car in the picture but that's just my taste. You'd probably appreciate a 12 V system though. Sometimes it's fun to get those old engines to start.....just to see if ya can.....even if you're not retaining it. Kind makes you feel like a wizard or something. LOL
This discussion has been closed.