Gas Struts To Hold Bonnet

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Anyone fitted gas struts to hold up bonnet if so what length & diameter did you use.

Dont want to waste cash on experimenting hopefully some one has done the work before.:rolleyes:

Comments

• mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Check this site out. Dan does a great job installing them on his car. You didn't indicate what car though. This one is a stepdown.
    http://www.49c8.com/

Peace,
    Chaz
  • Thanks exactly what i was after should have put model down 52 Pacemaker

Have a great day:)
  • That's a keeper , anyone know how to get it to where it can be printed out in a size you can read ?. Comes out too small to get it all on the page for me . BUD
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    The guy who wrote it is also a computer guru, and still hangs out on this board, so you can probably expect a post soon, telling you what to do to get it in usable size.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Here you go - you'll need an acrobat viewer since its a PDF file..

http://www.49c8.com/images/fp/HoodLift.pdf

The only thing - Are the Pacemakers the ones with the Shorter Front end?

If so it's possible the Shocks I used might...might...be too long.

The additional brace is probably not required - but made a difference in how the hood shuts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dan
  • DAN, I updated my acrobat but it still comes up a blank page when I click on the site . BUD
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    37 Terraplane#2 wrote:
    DAN, I updated my acrobat but it still comes up a blank page when I click on the site . BUD

It opened fine for me (using Firefox).

Ensure that the default Acrobat Reader your browser uses is the latest available (free download from Adobe.com)
  • rambos_ride
    Also - you can try Right-Mouse-Clicking the link and Selecting "Save Target As" ...that will download the document to your computer and might make it easier to view.

The pdf file is only 300k so shouldn't be a problem with the size.

Here's the link to adobe if you don't have the reader installed.

PDF's are just the normal file format to link to on the internet.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/
  • OK !! GOT ER by sending it to the computer and then printing , came out great and I can put it in my 3 ring binder , I can find things there . In the 'tube' their sometimes as lost as I am . Thanks DAN----BUD
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI

Regarding gas Shocks to hold open hood & Trunks. By walking a nearby Salvage (Wrecking) Yard out of necessity, when I couldnt find replacement hinge springs, I found a pair of used Gas Shocks to hold my '53 Hornet Trunk open nicely.

I found another one to hold up my 'flip rearward' hood that I made for my '37 Terraplane St Rod. I recall getting some from a 2000 Taurus Hood but dont recall where I got the pair for the Hornet earlier. Their cheap in a Salvage Yard and they work well for me....
  • Firstly thanks for everyones input & secondly Dan what a great little site you have up & running i will be having another look tonite at all the work you have done so far. Not sure if pacemaker is shorter or not. Couldnt find any specs on the model # of strut could you when you get a chance give me a length & diameter of the strut you used.

Thanks again:cool:
  • rambos_ride
    THEHUD wrote:
    Firstly thanks for everyones input & secondly Dan what a great little site you have up & running i will be having another look tonite at all the work you have done so far. Not sure if pacemaker is shorter or not. Couldnt find any specs on the model # of strut could you when you get a chance give me a length & diameter of the strut you used.
    Thanks again:cool:

My shocks are packed away in a box-o-parts up in storage in the shop...I've got the merchandise package here someplace with the website of the manufacturer, if I can find it - I'll post it here.

I bought then Stong Arm shocks at B&B auto parts, if they still sell Strong Arm lift shocks you might be able to call them and get the info. or the url for the manufacturer.

http://www.bbautoparts.com/

From what I can tell this is the correct part # and shows some of the specs...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALDRH2/ref=asc_df_B000ALDRH21073026?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-auto-delta-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000ALDRH2
  • Rambo,
    Nice plan; Thanks for sharing!!
    My calibrated eye balls have lost their calibration and I have not found a way to get them recalibrated to the nearest .010 inch anymore.
    Have you considered making the brackets and selling them at a fair price?
    Also, have you considered doing the same modification to the trunk lid?
  • rambos_ride
    topsgtsarg wrote:
    Rambo,
    Nice plan; Thanks for sharing!!
    My calibrated eye balls have lost their calibration and I have not found a way to get them recalibrated to the nearest .010 inch anymore.
    Have you considered making the brackets and selling them at a fair price?
    Also, have you considered doing the same modification to the trunk lid?

You're more than welcome!

A guy could probably make up some templates and jigs to make it fairly simple to reproduce but, I'm not really setup to make extras, right now.

I did install gas shocks on the trunk lid, but don't have pictures or part no's available at the moment.

The trunk was actually a bit trickier to figure out because depending on the pivot point on the hinge I mounted mine parallel to the rear window tray and attached to the arc of the trunk hinge - wants to push the top gap of the trunk out a little.

I got mine figured out but - have a few "test holes" I'll need to clean up!
This discussion has been closed.