oil pump gear

48super6
48super6 Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I seem to recall that the brass oil pump gear has a tendency to wear so the teeth get very thin and sharp and, eventually, you can get pieces that break off and can do some damage.

My car ('48 with the 262) has 58,000 miles and I don't have any history on what may have been done on the engine (runs great, no smoke, no oil usage). The only thing I've had to do was rebuild the carb, adjust valves, points, plugs and the like- standard tune up items. Should I be worried about the gear at this milage, assuming its the original?

If not, when should it be checked? If so, what's involved? Is it something that should be changed as a sort of preventive maintanance?

Comments

• I think that 48-50's used a steel gear. The later cars used the bronze gear.

(somebody correct me if I am wrong!)

The problem with the earlier stuff is that the steel gear wore out the camshaft gear.

You could pull the oil pump, and replace the gear, they are only held on by three bolts, I think.
  • 48super6
    48super6 Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the reply. If it is the steel (or if someone changed it to the bronze, if that is possible) is there a life expectancy to it; that is, a certain milage where it should be checked?

Was this really a problem with the pumps or is it only with real high-milage engines?
  • I don't think the steel Oil pump gears ever wore out... unfortunately the cams did...

I guess timing gets sloppy, or the cam gets stripped...

wearing cams out was more expensive than wearing an oil pump gear out, so I assume that's why the switch was made...
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    someone in the Club is (or was) making the replacement bronze gears (someone: help me on this!). That person might have an idea of how to know when to replace the bronze gear.
  • One way to get an idea how the oil pump drive gear is worn (besides pulling the oil pump) is to pull the dist. and with a large long screwdriver, thru the dist. hole, engaged in the dist. drive slot-check the play between the oil pump gear and the cam gear. Of course it's a matter of "feel". If it seems excessive then its easy to pull the pump from that point. New gears are available from Advance Auto. Mallory #61303. I found them on the internet.About $50. I have heard that someone in the club is making them but realy dont know. Norm
  • We have them available. Can call me at 309-968-6157 or email at maasfh@ntslink.net or go to or check our web sit at 21st century

Randy
This discussion has been closed.