Sylvania radio repair

ArtS
ArtS Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone know a reliable radio shop in the Columbus, Ohio area that can repair the Sylvania radio (model CH-749-2) out of my 53 Hornet. Was getting the ball games (just barely) but now have just silence. The dial bulbs light up but no tube glow or hum from the vibrator can be detected. I would like to avoid long-distance shipping if possible so radio shops in or around Ohio would be best for me. Thanks to all for advice on this repair job. ArtS

Comments

• for excellent and reasonablel work, and relliable, send to club Radio Tech, Steve Engel iln fontana, cal, has been doing my radios for 25 years, can change them to 12 volt allso ph 909 822 3811
  • For once I would have to agree with Bill. Send it to a pro, Steve Engel. Niels
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    We Have A Guy In Pittsburgh Pa Phills Radio He Has Repaired Most All Of The Radios Around These Parts I Can Count At Least 10 (thats Both Hands I Got My Shoes On So I Can't Go Higher Right Now)he Only Works On Radios And Tv's With Tubes Mine Cost Me $95 But If You Want A Solid State Viberator It Will Be About $150 To $200 Let Me Know If You Need Help Getting To Him
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Art,

You might try on of these guys for a link to a local guy in the Columbus area.

Karl Koogle

Antique Radio Collectors of Ohio (Dayton)

937-394-8960

KARLKRAD@GEMAIR.COM

Barry Gould

Central Ohio Antique Radio Assn. (Columbus)

614-777-8534

Both of these organizations will have members who repair sets. Sounds like your vibrator is bad. New solid state replacements run around $30.00
  • ArtS
    ArtS Expert Adviser
    Thanks to all for the info. Will start with the Ohio radio groups first and use Bill Albright's CA connection as backup. I agree that the vibrator might be bad and was interested to read in a back issue of Auto Restorer that it's possible to pry open the metal case and free up the points. Has any one tried this fix?
  • hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    Try the following link to find a new vibrator for your radio. I purchased one for my 49 and that was all it needed. They are easy to change and might be worth a shot before sending it out for repair.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/vibrators.htm
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    ArtS wrote:
    Thanks to all for the info. Will start with the Ohio radio groups first and use Bill Albright's CA connection as backup. I agree that the vibrator might be bad and was interested to read in a back issue of Auto Restorer that it's possible to pry open the metal case and free up the points. Has any one tried this fix?

I wouldn't bother trying to rejuvinate the vibrator. The points have burned already and it would not last long. Also considering the age of the radio, The buffer capacitors are probably shot and should be replaced at the same time. They are placed across the contacts of the vibrator to prevent them from arcing. most vibrator problems start with those caps going bad. They can find them soldered to the bottom of the vibrater socket under the chassis. It's wise to get an old radio tech to do the work. The modern vibrator eliminators are worth the cost. It's about the same situation with the points in the distributor. If the condenser (cap) goes bad, the points get pitted and are junk.

Dave W. (who grew up with radios that had to warm up) in Fl.
  • brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Art,

Sometimes its possible to rejuvinate the vibrator, if it has been sitting awhile, but yours seems to have gone out all at once. In sitting vibrators, the points are just stuck.

You could have badly burnt points or a broken spring if the vibrator is the culprit.

You mention weak reception. You could have a bad tube, or a bad capacitor in addition to the vibrator problem. You might have an aerial problem also. I'd suggest

taking it to someone familiar with old radios just to see what they find. Sounds like a complete overhaul is in order - all new caps, and a vibrator, plus checking the aerial circuit.
This discussion has been closed.