54 Hydra matic crossmember

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does any one know what the physical difference is between the 53 and 54 Hydra-matic crossmember. I need one for a 54 and I have a 53 parts car, the parts book says that there are two different numbers.

Comments

• Hydra x member lis the same, bill albright
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I have noticed that the 1948-1954 parts book" often refers to "automatic" transmission. That usually is a Borg Warner automatic. I don't know if the cross member is the same for a B/W and Hydra-matic, I trust Bills word on that.
  • The difference is that when Hudsons used GM Hydromatic transmissions they were refered to by Hudson in their books as "HM". When they were not available for a brief period due to a fire at Hydromatic ,Hudson went to Borg Warner for it's brand of automatic transmission. Hudson refered to this in parts books as "AM" or automatic transmission. The crossmember for the Borg Warner unit was Curved while the GM hydromatic was straight across. They will both interchange but the appropriate transmission must be installed.1954 cars had the possibility of having 2 automatic factory transmissions GM or BW.Most people prefer the GM unit.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    HUdzilla, That clarified the point very well. I have heard that the B/W was sweared at or sweared by.. depending on your luck with them.

I have a B/W unit with flywheel and torque converter for sale cheap.Like make an offer.. . It came on a 308 engine I bought out of a Hornet Spl.. Condition unknown. It's in Florida..Make an offer. It makes a very heavy door stop!

Dave W.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    FWIW, The 1954 crossmember is removable bu taking out 4 bolts.
This discussion has been closed.